Onlive Vs Steam Vs Retail

Started by Silver Knight, 31-08-2011

Silver Knight

Onlive Vs Steam Vs Retail

Could Onlive kill steam and then consoles? Or is it held back by the shitty internet connections?

Discuss it here.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Cutch

Steam is just too big to fail type of deal. It was a program born out of convenience, as it was easier to just buy a game online and download it than drive all the way to the gamestore and buy a game. Particularly now, when our lives are accelerated, juggling so many actions at once.
Now, that it has gotten over 3.5 million people, it would be incredibly inconvenient for someone to buy games from a different party. You would have to run both programs or, if Steam did die, rebuy your games(for me that would be well over 400 dollars(300 quid).

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Paintcheck

I used to love retail copies but nowadays companies don't give you anything at all with retail copies (half the time they don't even include hard manuals) so it's just a waste of space storing the discs. There's no resale value in PC games so having the disc means jack shit and Steam is infinitely more convenient.

Onlive is going to be held back by internet speeds. Especially now that a lot of internet companies realize they can monopolize their bandwith and arbitrarily limit what they allow their paying customers to access (I'm looking at you Comcast) means that Onlive will fail due to the huge amount of data it uses.

Gonztah

I prefer getting retail versions due to them usually being cheaper and faster to install then steam games (Ofc depends on your connection). Also you wont lose the game if your account gets hacked.

Solidus

Quote from: Gonztah on 02-09-2011
I prefer getting retail versions due to them usually being cheaper and faster to install then steam games (Ofc depends on your connection). Also you wont lose the game if your account gets hacked.

DRM/key codes will always hold back retail copies in the event your account gets "hacked"

You also need to be really retarded to get your Steam account hacked, especially these days.

Ragolution

Quote from: Solidus on 01-10-2011

DRM/key codes will always hold back retail copies in the event your account gets "hacked"

You also need to be really retarded to get your Steam account hacked, especially these days.

Scenario: Have 300 games. Steam is down.

NO GAME FOR YOU.

Also, as we've seen, even Steam games can have DRM issues (Hello there From Dust.)

Solidus

Quote from: Ragolution on 01-10-2011
Quote from: Solidus on 01-10-2011

Scenario: Have 300 games. Steam is down.

NO GAME FOR YOU.

Also, as we've seen, even Steam games can have DRM issues (Hello there From Dust.)

play in offline mode

Paintcheck

Yeah the amount of "ololol have fun when the steam servers go down" makes me lol. Just play in offline mode. Problem solved.

Recreas

Onlive is just not attracting me enough, neither did steam at first. But games like Total war and others that require you to have steam before you are able to play a game made me try steam. That's probably how steam got a lot of users. Retail will always be there as long as there are consoles. And consoles will most likely stick for a while. Just because Consoles can last for a year or two without getting outdated like pc's. If you want to stay up to date with Pc's you gotta buy a new one every single day. Next to that most people don't like plugging their pc into their television. So when they feel like staying lazy on the couch and game. They go for the console (Wii does not count.)
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves

Ragolution

Quote from: Paintcheck on 01-10-2011
Yeah the amount of "ololol have fun when the steam servers go down" makes me lol. Just play in offline mode. Problem solved.

Sucked for me when I got a new computer and the very same day steam servers were down, or that time I reformatted and same thing.

Sure it's a spotty case, but if you ever have a similar situation, you is fuckt.

Bl★ck Star

I prefer steam over retail.

Iam333

Steam, its easier to buy from your home and most of times its much more cheaper.

Bl★ck Star

Quote from: Iam333 on 02-10-2011
Steam, its easier to buy from your home and most of times its much more cheaper.

That.

lolKieck

Quote from: Bl★ck Star on 02-10-2011

That.
In Poland, you have to pay about 50 euro for any game on Steam, while you can get a retail copy for 40 euro (with petrol price included)
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Iam333

Quote from: lolKieck on 02-10-2011

That.
In Poland, you have to pay about 50 euro for any game on Steam, while you can get a retail copy for 40 euro (with petrol price included)
Yeah, but I guess your retail store isnt making every day -50% on some games.
I buy mostly only on sale.

Bl★ck Star

Quote from: lolKieck on 02-10-2011

That.
Yeah, but I guess your retail store isnt making every day -50% on some games.
I buy mostly only on sale.

Paintcheck

Quote from: Recreas on 02-10-2011
Onlive is just not attracting me enough, neither did steam at first. But games like Total war and others that require you to have steam before you are able to play a game made me try steam. That's probably how steam got a lot of users. Retail will always be there as long as there are consoles. And consoles will most likely stick for a while. Just because Consoles can last for a year or two without getting outdated like pc's. If you want to stay up to date with Pc's you gotta buy a new one every single day. Next to that most people don't like plugging their pc into their television. So when they feel like staying lazy on the couch and game. They go for the console (Wii does not count.)

Not sure if trolling. PC's don't need to be updated "Every day". The first machine I seriously gamed on lasted me 6 years before it got out of spec enough to not be able to run anything. Yeah if you're one of those idiots who thinks "Oh I need to be able to run every game in the next 10 years at 2560X1900 resolution with 16x antialiasing" then you might have a  problem. But if you aren't stupid (and realize that consoles can't do that therefore the shitty console ports that make up 90% of the PC market won't be able to either) you will be fine buying a new machine every 5 years or so.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Paintcheck on 01-09-2011
There's no resale value in PC games so having the disc means jack shit and Steam is infinitely more convenient.

Ebay. Amazon. Play. You can resell retail, you cannot resell steam games.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Paintcheck

There's no market for it. You might get $2 for a game. Piracy and drm means no one will pay for used pc games.