Is Islam a religion of peace?

Started by meetdadoom, 23-10-2011

meetdadoom

We have all heard this debate. Is Islam a religion of peace? Our leaders say that Islam IS a religion of peace and that the Taliban and Alqueda are only small extreme sectors. Yet, we still hear about Islamic nations going over board. A key reason for nations going overboard is an Islamic term called Sharia. Sharia is a punishment code. Whenever someone commits a crime, Sharia will tell you what needs to be done. So if Islam is claimed to be the Religion of peace then why do they go overboard when it comes to punishing people? I still can't tell if Islam is a religion of peace my self. Many moderate Muslims I've met are really nice people (more nice than the Jews in my neighborhood) but, I still hear stories of Islamic Nations going overboard.

Discuss!

btw: the reason why I am wondering this is because my English teacher this year is a Former Navy soldier, former CIA agent, and currently interrogates for the CIA. And currently we are reading books about puritan society back in the 1600s and their punishment and he tells stories about MiddleEastern nations and Sharia. This really got my mind going.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Iam333

I think Islam is religion of peace, truth is there is several organizations which fight in name of Islam, but thats mostly just guise and self excuse for deeds they do. If somebody thinks Islam isnt religion of peace because of them, he might also think all Christians fuck with children because thats what some priests do. I dont think in modern society there is place for unpeaceful religion and I dont think that any of these global religions is not based on peace.
And that Sharia, to be honest I dont know what it is but if its what you say its similiar to Christian hell. We do bad things we go to hell, we do good things we go to heaven, we are between it we go to purgatory. Every religion have something to scare people from not doing sins.

ThY

I believe Islam is a peacefull religion, but they are influenced to treat those who don't share the same beliefs differently, radicly portraying their emotions. I do believe many customs and thaughts they live by are quite backword in the modern world.

Silver Knight

Islam is not a religion of peace. Anyone who thinks that clearly does not know the history of the religion. It's a false, fake religion founded by a warmongering pedofile who wanted to use religion to pray on the weak minds of the time. To unite them under his banner so he could conquer and take over anything, under the name of god.

In those times, like the threat christanity posed (Heaven\hell) Sinning, eternal damnation and fire. People were and some still are today, slaves to their religion, following it to the very text written in the book.

The quaran is very much a copy of the bible, it came after the bible, he saw how successful christanity was and he duplicated it, the "great" muhammad. He declared god told him to write a book and then showed everyone and then lead armies to battle in the name of god (lol? - peace?) for the rest of his life time. Enslaving, conquering, mass killing. All in the name of god.

Did i mention he was a pedofile too? Taking a 6 year old girl to be his play thing, later marrying  her at 12?

The main basic difference between christanity and Islam is that christanity was born through a kind, generious man who gave a shit about people rather than some hateful cunt who used religion to wage war and unite people under his banner.

There you have it. Islam in a nutshell. It's a book of bullshit, more so than the bible. It's a book of enslavery, injustice and laws which bind the people under his mindset and alot of stupid people, the muslims follow it, even to the death.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

lolKieck

Lol, pedophile part is invalid, it wasn't uncommon for a 20-years old man to be in love with a 7-year old maiden.
Not to mention later when Arabs had Jerusalem they were talking how Islam and Christianity Gods are the same. Maybe it's because they got loads of money made by serving the Christians going there.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Paintcheck

Every modern religion wants to be a religion of peace but no religion is peaceful. The problem with religion is that by its very nature it is exclusive and people will attack others because of this. I would bet there exists a militant Buddhist faction out there somewhere. When you start making things up about the meaning of life you're going to get crazy, stupid morons who think that because it's religion it is true and everything/everyone else is wrong/evil for not believing that. Christianity is of course an excellent example of this with the Crusades in the...think it was the 1100s-1200s and religious persecution in England and France in the 1600s and a lot of that were different sects of Christianity killing each other. It's the same thing in Islam; the vast majority of Muslims are fine, normal, well-adjusted people. Unfortunately there exists several useless countries full of crazy idiots who think their God wants them to blow themselves up in marketplaces on weekends. That's a function of those people, not of their religion. I promise you the Quaran does not say anywhere in it "And thou shalt detonate thyself in the most crowded market thou can find in My name," but crazy people are crazy people.

And before I get a bunch of people pointing out the Quaran passage about "Taking the sword to the unbelievers" or however that goes the Bible and the Torah both also advocate violence towards nonChristians/Nonjews. That's a staple of most religions and not unique to Islam.

Ragolution

I'm in the meme mood. Deal with it.

jaik

Quote from: Ragolution on 24-10-2011

but memes are retarded
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Overwatch

I know this is a serious thread and all, But cartoons actually portray religion pretty well in my opinion

Family Guy - Getting along without religion
Futurama Explains Religion
Christianity in a nutshell

The world would be better off by a minor amount without religion.
Sure we'd still have a war over something, cause were humans, It's in our nature to fight over a patch of dirt to call it ours. But religion seems to have been abused as an excuse for war.

lolKieck

Isn't it funny how the oldest people are the most extremist? Well, most of them.

Ragolution

Quote from: Overwatch on 24-10-2011

Portkins is cool [sic]

And it's funny because, even chimpanzees and other monkeys have wars so the people from PETA who go "ONLY HUMANS HAVE WARS" are entirely wrong. Sure we're the only ones who use guns, but theoretically it's only a matter of time until Monkeys start to use clubs.

Maxi96203

Islam is not a religion of peace, the earlier entries in the Quran are now invalid, as opposed to the later, war-like, entries in the Quran. It encourages lying to progress Marshal Law and such.

Islam is a religion to deceive those who don't follow it.
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Silver Knight

Islam isn't really a religion, it's the middle east's version of a satanist's cult.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

jaik

Quote from: Last.Exile on 28-10-2011
cult.

Silver said everything in his previous post, I can only add that the cunts should stop making demands about their religion everywhere. Fuck these immigrants.

Spades_Neil

I love how the opposition to Islam is completely uneducated nonsense. Did you know that people in Al Qaeda and the Taliban have largely never read the Qur'an? But why do they call themselves Muslims, then? Well, why do Tea Party fanatics call themselves Christian? You tell me, because the shit don't make sense.

But back to Islam. If anyone knows what they're talking about here, it's me.

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 28-10-2011
Islam is not a religion of peace, the earlier entries in the Quran are now invalid, as opposed to the later, war-like, entries in the Quran. It encourages lying to progress Marshal Law and such. Islam is a religion to deceive those who don't follow it.

Have you read the Qur'an? The whole Qur'an? No.

Quote from: Last.Exile on 24-10-2011
Islam is not a religion of peace. Anyone who thinks that clearly does not know the history of the religion.

Funny, I took a college course on it and came to exactly the opposite conclusion. In fact, the Islamic world used to be the most glorious thing humanity had to offer--until the west started fucking them over first for land and trading, and eventually for oil, until eventually all the prosperous empires that once blessed humanity were utterly destroyed.

Now today all that's left is a desert shithole full of bullet holes and craters thanks to us.

It's a false, fake religion founded by a warmongering pedofile who wanted to use religion to pray on the weak minds of the time. To unite them under his banner so he could conquer and take over anything, under the name of god.

Wrong. Believe it or not (and I didn't believe it when I first heard it), the expansion of Islam was largely conversion rather than conquest in its earliest days. It expanded all the way up into Spain before the Crusades showed up and went all genocidal on their asses.

Somewhere along the line, the Vatican started feeling rather threatened by it. So guess what they did? Started a war. If anyone looks like warmongers here, it's the Christians.

And don't even get me started about the Jews when it comes to war...

In those times, like the threat christanity posed (Heaven\hell) Sinning, eternal damnation and fire. People were and some still are today, slaves to their religion, following it to the very text written in the book.

You must be talking about the Dark Ages.

Also known as the Golden Age (for Islam). While most of Europe is busy killing each other over border disputes and/or calling one-another heretics, a certain Islamic empire is busy inventing algebra, inventing new means of navigation, building cities, eating healthy, not suffering from The Plague...

The quaran is very much a copy of the bible, it came after the bible, he saw how successful christanity was and he duplicated it, the "great" muhammad. He declared god told him to write a book and then showed everyone and then lead armies to battle in the name of god (lol? - peace?) for the rest of his life time. Enslaving, conquering, mass killing. All in the name of god.

lol wrong. Read the Qur'an and look up on the history of it instead of bigoted crap.

Did i mention he was a pedofile too? Taking a 6 year old girl to be his play thing, later marrying  her at 12?

And I suppose this was any different than the rest of the world at the time? Though really, you think this is bad? You should have seen the Middle East BEFORE Islam showed up. Islam actually dramatically improved rights for women. Early Islam outlawed practices that turned women into property. The Qur'an in fact has an entire chapter dedicated to women.

Meanwhile in The Bible, you tell me what The Bible says about women. Go on. Amuse me.

The main basic difference between christanity and Islam is that christanity was born through a kind, generious man who gave a shit about people rather than some hateful cunt who used religion to wage war and unite people under his banner.

Again this is how I know you haven't checked up on your facts, because the teachings of Muhammad outlawed the old tribal ways of justice--and in fact, real Islam respects both Judaism and Christianity and recognizes them as its predecessor--and in fact acknowledges Jesus as another, earlier prophet.

What you see on television about Muslims is about as accurate to Islam as the Ku Klux Klan and Neo Nazis The Tea Party are to Christianity.

There you have it. Islam in a nutshell. It's a book of bullshit, more so than the bible. It's a book of enslavery, injustice and laws which bind the people under his mindset and alot of stupid people, the muslims follow it, even to the death.

Again, have you read it for yourself? The whole thing. Not just a few out of context passages. I could do that with any religious scripture.

When I started studying Islam, I knew from the get go that Muslims could just be putting up a nice show to settle my possible fears. I'm not stupid enough to fall for that. I did my own research, and very rarely took my questions to the Imam unless I was completely stumped.

On a final note Exile, from what I've chatted with you on Teamspeak in the past regarding Islam, I've concluded that your problem with "Islam" is really just a problem with immigration. I have a similar problem where I live. Growing up, I (falsely) hated Hispanics/Blacks and grew so racist I viewed them flat out as subhuman for a while. Really, how could you not? You guys have seen the hell hole of a school I attended, and a large population of that school was simply not white. So I connected dots that weren't there.

Then I grew up. Not sure when, not sure how. I just did. Maybe because I eventually realized I hated white people as much as I hated blacks and hispanics. No, it wasn't race I hated. It was stupidity I hated--and stupidity knows no religion or ethnicity. Stupidity is universal. People are too quick to judge, and I had grown up my whole life being falsely judged. The irony of it was I found myself looking into the mirror after that and realized what a fucking hypocrite I was the whole time. Here I was wrongly judging others before taking the time to learn what they were really like.

Also, if Islam was a religion of war, my neighborhood would be a crater. I'm surrounded by Muslims. Really I'm glad they showed up. They drove out all the drug addicts, drove up property value, fixed the local school, and completely turned around a neighborhood that was a ghetto before full of hispanics and white trash. Then again, these guys are Turkish Muslims. Not Pakistani or Iranian. Islam across the world is vastly different because the Qur'an is interpreted differently. Iranian Muslims are STRONGLY conservative, to the point where I feel that it breaks their own religious laws. Meanwhile, other versions of Islam such as Turkish Islam, or American Islam, is far more liberal in its views. Likewise, you go to the American deep south, it's like a 3rd world country in some places, and they are so staunchly conservative that it makes Christians in places like New England throw up a little in their mouth at how sick their view of God is twisted.

tl;dr Do your homework before telling us to do it, because I know the history and that's how I know you're wrong. I took a college course specific to this topic, and the class was run by a white, Christian male who was born in the United States and formerly taught American History, so I'm pretty sure he's not full of shit. Also religion is never to blame. Religion is just an excuse that politicians use on the idiotic masses to fuel their agenda. See Arab / Israeli conflict, which we also learned about. There's A LOT more than just religion in that war.

Ragolution

Jesus christ I'm having issues neiling with this necropost.

Tom

God DAMNIT SPADES. I didn't read a word of what you said. . . But I did see your post date. Son I am dissappoint.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

meetdadoom

I got banned for this comment

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Spades_Neil

Quote from: meetdadoom on 17-01-2012
Jokes on you Spades, everyone knows that Silver is an ignorant racist and won't listen, have fun having a pretty biased essay on why SIlver is wrong!

Ah, but who am I really trying to convince? Both of us are set in our ways. My argument is for the naive newcomer whose opinion could be sway either way depending on who gets the better argument in.

Also yea, necro. Lock it if you don't like it. Not much I can do now.

Mr. Pink

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 17-01-2012
Jokes on you Spades, everyone knows that Silver is an ignorant racist and won't listen, have fun having a pretty biased essay on why SIlver is wrong!

Ah, but who am I really trying to convince? Both of us are set in our ways. My argument is for the naive newcomer whose opinion could be sway either way depending on who gets the better argument in.

I personally am against religion in its many forms. Eleminate them all, then they can no longer fight over idealogies that no one will ever be able to prove. I say fight over resources instead, at least there there's a legitimate reason to fight (And profits to be made). (Keep in mind this is from the guy who's life-goal is to lead the U.S. arms industry as Krupp had in Germany during the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.)
I wish for a pinball machine full of Cannabis.

lolKieck

Quote from: Mr. Pink on 17-01-2012
Quote from: Spades_Neil on 17-01-2012

I personally am against religion in its many forms. Eleminate them all, then they can no longer fight over idealogies that no one will ever be able to prove. I say fight over resources instead, at least there there's a legitimate reason to fight (And profits to be made). (Keep in mind this is from the guy who's life-goal is to lead the U.S. arms industry as Krupp had in Germany during the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.)
Did you read what Spades posted? Religion is a scapegoat. NOBODY would be so stupid to fight over a religion.

Knife_cz

I am againts every kind of religion, if there was none, there wouldnt be such hate, ea againts homosexuals.

Madcombat

All forms of Religion is quite potentially dangrous, but its only dangrous when one takes the religion and twists it.  See Both Christiantity promote peace however like we've experianced from wars and the Crusades, all it takes is one man with enough influence to say "These people threaten us, lets kill them" rather then stay by there code and say "These people threaten us, lets open diplomacy."

Would getting rid of it really do anything?  After much thought the reasons wars ocure (Aparently over religion.) is actually because of the country and leadership of that country.  Religion is just a escape goat, take for example the Nazi's, they could've gone "Oh, but the bible said if anyone attempted to sway your view of religion, they should be beaten with a rock." (Yes, it says that in the bible.)  There gentlemen is a nice escape goat for Nazi's to use for the murder of so many jewish familys.

What do I dislike about religion?  That its false, and people try to force it on others and thats about it.  The truth lies behind the genius who uses it to bend people to his will.

jaik

Quote from: Madcombat on 18-01-2012
There gentlemen is a nice escape goat for Nazi's to use for the murder of so many jewish familys.

I was agreeing with your post until you had said the shortened term for national socialist and the reference to the genocide theory.

Madcombat

Quote from: Jake on 18-01-2012
Quote from: Madcombat on 18-01-2012
There gentlemen is a nice escape goat for Nazi's to use for the murder of so many jewish familys.

I was agreeing with your post until you had said the shortened term for national socialist and the reference to the genocide theory.

Did they really make a theory saying thats why they did it?  Well, just proves it then doesnt it.