Existence

Started by eroticduck, 06-02-2011

eroticduck

Furie and I were debating something. I said that one must exist because we know of existence and of ourselves (I think, therefore I am). He said that an idea doesn't have to exist if we think of it, i.e. stories and fables.  I disagreed with that because we cannot think of a new color because it is outside the realm of reality.

What do you think? 

Cutch

This somewhat reminds me of the "purpose of life" people keep trapping me in.

Anyhow, I believe there is both concrete and abstract existence; concrete can be felt, heard, smelled, ect., while abstract is an idea and immateriale.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Tom

Quote from: Cutch on 06-02-2011
This somewhat reminds me of the "purpose of life" people keep trapping me in.

Anyhow, I believe there is both concrete and abstract existence; concrete can be felt, heard, smelled, ect., while abstract is an idea and immateriale.
Concrete: Sex
Humans
Animals
Buildings
Space ships
Gravity
Laws of Physics
Ect.

Abstract: Love
Marriage
Name
Religion
Perfect Government
Perfection in general
Ect.

Is this what you mean Cutch?
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Cutch

-Blake/Last Exile

Linxiekins

Thoughts and feelings are all actually measurable in your brain (Even cooler, it is possible to control them.) , I forget specifics, but I saw something that mentioned this briefly on TED.com. It was something like there are actual PHYSICAL connections between Neurons or something ( I forgot exactly) every time you have a thought, or a reinforcement of other connections, that changes the way you think and behave. These build up from birth till death and can account for every aspect of your personality.

WOLVERINES!!!

I think to myself the question of existence every day. Sometimes I think I am alone in this world, I think sometimes I dont exist. I just shrug it off and slowly wait untill I die. Maybe there are different universes out there you know the whole multiverse thing In wich everything is different. Like I said, I just shrug it off.
Lamp oil

Roy

there is life on other planets IE  virus and bacteria
Although if its to our evolution type no yet

Dug

I just find it weird there are no planets similiar to ours(close to us) with same conditions to develop life as it is on earth.

Cutch

Quote from: Dug on 24-03-2011
I just find it weird there are no planets similiar to ours(close to us) with same conditions to develop life as it is on earth.

Earth itself is a miracle in creation. Hell, every time a human is born its a miracle. Life goes through such adversity, it is a shame to waste it pondering it.

"A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life."
Charles Darwin

-Blake/Last Exile

Das_Uberman

In my frank, logical, and somewhat cynical opinion: Earth was pure chance, things just happened to go right, the universe goes on forever, it's bound to get it right sometimes, even then, the human race is far from perfect. Our brains just aren't capable of comprehending such things as the meaning of existence. we should not focus on such things as it will only bring sadness and frustration, much like the ending to "Bridge to Terebithia", like he said live life better not thinking about it.

WOLVERINES!!!

Who cares how we came to be Just take advantage of the fact that YOU DID COME TO BE rather then asking how
Lamp oil

Roy

My question is why does life HAVE to live on a planet like Earth?
Why can't they have evolved on a planet like Pluto that has extreme cold or Mercury that is extremely hot?

Ragolution

Goddamn. This thread keeps alive on a chain of necroposts.

Paintcheck

And now it's locked so it won't.

Silver Knight

Bumping\necroing is generally fine for serious discussions unless its over 6 months old. Unlocked as people show some interest.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Poopship

Big bang theory, bro. It'll blow your mind.