[Video] Can propaganda be a /good/ thing?

Started by Spades_Neil, 25-04-2012

Spades_Neil

Propaganda Techniques

While I was busy looking up ideas for the event I'm setting up for Fallout, I came across this interesting video.

What are your opinions on propaganda? Propaganda has created atrocities like the holocaust and other genocides throughout history. Yet, it can also be used for good, like helping your fellow man for a common good. Are there times when propaganda is necessary? Alternatively, is there no excuse for propaganda?

Frostee

Spades_Neil

Frostee

Russia basically saying to work hard and shit. So yes, propaganda is a good way to keep you loyal and supportive towards your country.

meetdadoom

propaganda also helped play a role in causing the great depression by putting people in a panic stating YOU NEED THIS OR ELSE<fill in the blank> that caused people to go on buying frenzies with their credit cards and badabing badaboom great depression.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Spades_Neil

Quote from: meetdadoom on 25-04-2012
propaganda also helped play a role in causing the great depression by putting people in a panic stating YOU NEED THIS OR ELSE<fill in the blank> that caused people to go on buying frenzies with their credit cards and badabing badaboom great depression.

The first or second great depression? :P No seriously I know what you meant. This is a good counter-point.

meetdadoom

No, propaganda is not good at all Frosty. People who are oblivious to society will think that propaganda is good and will become loyalists but most people smell bullshit and know when something is propaganda and will generally view the propaganda with cynicism.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Otto

Spades_Neil

Quote from: Otto on 26-04-2012
Are they much different?

Propaganda-wise, no. Both of them are shit sources for any reliable information.

Content-wise, Fox News pushes more violent behavior.

lolKieck

Since when brainwashing was good? No, Monolith doesn't count.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Gonztah

Propaganda can be good for keeping up the spirits in hard times like war. Even if it is just propaganda it's still better than despair.

Iam333

When is country at war or other kind of crysis. Propaganda is useful to keep the morale and show them the "right" way to live. When are people under influence they are more helpful than "at their free will".

For instance, car-sharing club which helped to save precious fuel for military.
http://www.spaciousplanet.com/images/world/car-pooling12698525793793.jpeg (I dont want to spam with big images.)
It was of course lie, but it did its trick.

There are aswell those which you cant really say if are good or bad.
http://euro-ombudsman.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Ne-boltay.jpg "Be quiet."
Censorship is of course terrible thing, but sometimes it helped when people werent talking about some topics in public.

If the propaganda is about politics or regime its of course bad thing that should be avoided.
And yes, they are all brainwash, but that doesnt mean its always wrong.

Vorter

Absolutely it can be a good thing, such as for the betterment of their communities and the reasons others have listed.

JRParadox

Nope, direct manipulation of the opinion of the public is never good, yes spreading the word of a good cause is acceptable as long as it is through a way in which no opinion is shed on the subject only the facts from impartial sources (hence why the BBC is so amazing and there really ought to be an American counterpart to it) however when you use opinionated advertisement of something the point itself becomes illegitimate, a good example of this is what happened to Kony 2012. At first the emotive propaganda made people (including myself) go up in arms, then when people calmed down and looked at the cold hard facts the whole thing became ignored and obsolete.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?
Rag > This is so serious you don't understand.