"rawr get over here!"

Started by Silver Knight, 31-12-2008

Silver Knight

We all know this infamous quote is from everyone's favorite gold and black ninja, Scorpion. Mortal Kombat along with other violent games such as Grand Theft Auto have attracted negative attention in recent years. Many parents, politicians and other generally "concerned" citizens seek their complete banishment. They cite statistics and studies which seem to show that people whom frequently play violent games are likely to act out what they see. As such, every time a kid goes nuts and shoots up his school, the blame is put on the video game industry.

My question is, should violent games be banned? Why or why not? Should the blame solely be put on violent games and not the individuals personal responsibility and integrity?

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Locke

Sources of media have been blamed forever for acts of violence: Radio, Television, Movies, Music, Videogames. The blame just gets shifted to the newest source. Also, games have a rating for a reason, a game like Gta4 has much scrutiny but is rated mature, so people who arent mature, and over 18 should not been playing it.

InTOx

Ive got to agree, the ratings are there for a purpose, the gmae is "18" then why should people younger be playing it, although im only 16 but people do take things from games and put them into relaity too much. Games are blamed way to much, they might influence people to do it. but its thier fault, what idiot goes to a car and goes, shit bitch get out the car im jacking you, LOL you wouldnt even dare doing it would you..

Plus playing FPS's increases your reaction speeds.

Carnage

It's because all parents believe what the news says which is "LOL VIDEO GAMES KILL'

If you believe you should do what you do in a videogame then you have some issues.

If a parent doesn't want their kid playing M games THEN THEY SHOULD FUCKING BUY IT FOR THEM!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

And Vityaz from Fyren. And Fyren from Silver. And really, it goes on. It's like a giant homo sex train

-Rohok Teyar

MaD2ko0l

the blame is with the parents i say...if they dont raise there children properly they usually turn into chav scum or some kinda junkie.
but if the parents had control over there own kids and rasied them properly, the kids woudlnt do some of the crap that they see in games/movies/tv etc etc etc

but on the other hand, it is very easy to get 18+ games/movies etc etc...how many shops do u go into and buy/rent an 18+ game/movie from where they check id? and also buying online, all u need is a credit/debit card and u have access to buy these rated things with no questions asked.

but there r some right fucking retards in this world, they just aint right in the head and i blame the parents
Trust Is A Weakness!

Fluffy

1. Raise your kid's right
2. have enough common sense to not jump off a 40 ft. tall building and expect to live
3. If you going to ban Video games because of some studies that don't even make sense... they should ban the following since it follows the same category:

TV
Media
Government
Computers
Groups and Organizations
Driving a car
Drinking Beer
Telephones

Not saying literally ban them but these all fall under the category of Desensitizing us to violence. Someone should always have common sense. Heck there's even more that i haven't listed

Creeding

I was watching the news yesturday at 12:30 pm and guess what was on the screen,the israley army bombarding the gaza strip.
This message may or may not be endorsed by Creeding and he is by no means held to any comments, posts or any of the like made... Oh, and no. I dont like fancy pancy signatures.

sniperhunter

The blame is on the parents, At a young age I remember playing mk, the only reason for that was because my parents distinctively told me that this isn't real, and you should never try things you see in videogames, so whatever games I got my parents didn't care because they knew I was mature and responsible enough not to do anything stupid. Videogames shouldn't be banned soley for the fact that if parents raised their kids right ( which is deteriorating these days ) people wouldn't be trying to rip peoples heart out in a mk fatality. Fuck this took a long time to type on my ps3

Tea

Heres my explanation:

1. Its the kids fault, it is most likely kids diagnosed with "A.D.D." tend to do whatever they see

2. Smart kids, or kids with "Common Sense" can play the game, if stupid kids do, its the parents fault

3. Ratings are there for a reason

Rohok

I think we should just shoot anyone who thinks these games are bad.

Oh the irony.

Silver Knight

I think we should shoot that nerdy kid reece, that little fucker seriously has no life !

Leni

Quote from: Silver Knight We all know this infamous quote is from everyone's favorite gold and black ninja, Scorpion. Mortal Kombat along with other violent games such as Grand Theft Auto have attracted negative attention in recent years. Many parents, politicians and other generally "concerned" citizens seek their complete banishment. They cite statistics and studies which seem to show that people whom frequently play violent games are likely to act out what they see. As such, every time a kid goes nuts and shoots up his school, the blame is put on the video game industry.

My question is, should violent games be banned? Why or why not? Should the blame solely be put on violent games and not the individuals personal responsibility and integrity?
Way to steal topics form JPT .__.  see here =D oh if you try to edit this silver/hypergame I'll make a macro and spam it.

http://www.jurassicparkterror.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2380

Quote from: DragonkingWe all know this infamous quote is from everyone's favorite gold and black ninja, Scorpion.  Mortal Kombat along with other violent games such as Grand Theft Auto have attracted negative attention in recent years.  Many parents, politicians and other generally "concerned" citizens seek their complete banishment.  They cite statistics and studies which seem to show that people whom frequently play violent games are likely to act out what they see.  As such, every time a kid goes nuts and shoots up his school, the blame is put on the video game industry.

My question is, should violent games be banned?  Why or why not?  Should the blame solely be put on violent games and not the individuals personal responsibility and integrity?

Sikth

Fuck the media. Simple

Dark Angel

Violent games shouldn't be banned as they are actually way of voiding thoes shoot outs.

The recent shit about kid goes to school pewing classmates. It just means that he/she was an idiot who thought that the life is "Oh i died np respawn" . But it doesn't mean everyone is that dumb.

So i state that the games should be allowed.

Tatersalad

Its not video games fault, The Parents let them play it!

~Ness~

FIGHT THE POWER!

rawrmon

It's not the violence in the games or movies that make people violent, it's peoples attitude and thoughts that make them. And, if you take in account that killing is one of our primal instincts, than you would know that even though you didn't give kids violent things, someone would still end up killing.

And, by the way.
Why is my nick mentioned in the title?
rawr.

rawrmon

Oh, and,
I don't think violent material should be banned from this world, because violence can never be defeated. Violence is--and has always been--a part of nature. Only evolution can change that. So until this universe decides it's been enough wounding and killing, we'll just have to deal with it. I was also going to say a lot of other stuff, but I'm lazy.
rawr.

~Ness~

Who do you always have to double post?

:|

It was only 4 minutes between both your posts.

rawrmon

Because I forgot something, and I kind of forgot that these forums acctually HAS AN EDIT BUTTON.
Heh..
rawr.

Silver Knight

Quote from: rawrmon on 22-06-2009
Because I forgot something, and I kind of forgot that these forums acctually HAS AN EDIT BUTTON.
Heh..

Fool of a took...

Fluffy

If you ask me, Video games shouldn't be banned. The ratings are there for a reason. Even though yes i am 15 and i play M-rated games... I am more mature than most people. Parents should realise, Is your kid mature enough to play that game? Or is he going to copy it, be a complete jerk, do the most stupid things, and kill himself?

AlienCreature

Violence is a part of everyday life... In the ice age. When an animal jumps on you and is close to kill you, do you just say "Peace dude, peace on earth. Lets discuss this.". NO! Violence is one of our primal insticts, i would rather not say "Needs". Violence is what let the human race survive and evolve to this day. AND it helped us develop our civilization as it is today. They say that violence isnt needed in today's society. Yeah, but when people rebel against a dictator to bring democracy to their country, violence is no more "irrational". And for the sake of some Americans answering otherwise, the USA wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for the war with the British Empire. Ratings are there for a reason. And parents should consider these ratings when buying a game for their child.

Zero

Videogames are a scapegoat because many people play them and most criminals have played them once, and no one wants to take the blame for societys problems so they blame things that we use generally every day, if its violent then that makes the blame easier and people will agree most of the time. I heard a quote and it said "Violence is a nessecary evil"

The factors that cause the kid/guy to do the stuff on a video game are
1: Mental State
2: Mental Problems
3: Ability to see its NOT. REAL.
4: Able to aquire weapon of some sort with little or no effort.