Special Positions

Started by Communist Panda, 14-12-2008

Would you want the Special Positions added to Duty with flags?

Yes
17 (85%)
No
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Communist Panda

Special positions, as in Engineer, Sniper, Medic, etc.
Characters -
John 'Wolf' Rhinehart - Slightly leniant
Alexei 'Skulker' Tarsov - Complete jackass
Vanechka Koslovski - Rough but kind
Dmitri Aleshnikov - Trader, what do you think?

Carnage

THAT DUTY IS A SPY!

And Vityaz from Fyren. And Fyren from Silver. And really, it goes on. It's like a giant homo sex train

-Rohok Teyar

SnakeTheFox

Seconding this. I'd like to be the Cook/Armorer.
I was brought into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood; and that's the way I intend to leave it.

Silver Knight

Im the Chaplain my brotherin.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Lt.Friberg

I would like to have some kind of medical tool of some kind, my char is a medic by the way.
I will think of they who where left behind "Tharen"

MikeyTWolf

Quote from: Lt.Friberg I would like to have some kind of medical tool of some kind, my char is a medic by the way.

CHARGE ME DOC!

Yeah, you might find a Medigun stool somewhere.

Speaking of which, the armourer should be allowed to spawn armour repair kits too. Maybe for a discount price to Dutyers only.

Krieg

How about if this becomes unbalanced?

Live...

Everybody is a medic.

Or...

Everybody is an engineer.

etc.

MikeyTWolf

Quote from: Krieg How about if this becomes unbalanced?

Live...

Everybody is a medic.

Or...

etc.

Eh?

You mean, as in, people could just powergame?

No you idiot. Firstly, healing or repairing has to be RPed TO SOMEONE ELSE. Secondly, I'd like to see you revive yourself. Thirdly, it's hard enough to RP during a firefight, let alone do anything.

Krieg

Quote from: MikeyTWolf
Quote from: Krieg How about if this becomes unbalanced?

Live...

Everybody is a medic.

Or...

etc.

Eh?

You mean, as in, people could just powergame?

No you idiot. Firstly, healing or repairing has to be RPed TO SOMEONE ELSE. Secondly, I'd like to see you revive yourself. Thirdly, it's hard enough to RP during a firefight, let alone do anything.

Fail.

Absolute fail.

I was talking about Special Positions like Sniper.

Or Engineer.

How about if everybody says: "OMG TNT" and everybody becomes an engineer?

You see, you have to see what I say in my words, not just read it and reply.

Rohok

Well, I had a talk with Panda over SF about this, and I semi-liked the idea. Right now, we have an MOS system that allows you to choose some kind of job/role to play in the faction. However, there are no special flags for it. It's just there so we can recognize your RP job preference, and so that you always have a special role to play. Panda had an idea that some of these jobs would have special flags.

Here's the catch, if somehow we convinced Silver or Dare to allow for this, it would make it harder to become one of these special jobs. Especially the jobs that give you uber weapons. You would have to prove to me that not only your /me skill is extraordinary, but your self control, and ability to follow orders must be extraordinary as well. Meaning, if you can't follow an order in seconds after it's issued, you don't get a custom flag.

The reason why I didn't like this idea was a few reasons:

Too much trouble for the scripters

Other factions would want it too (Too much trouble for the scripters)

Too much data for people to download

Too hard to get the RP job preference that you want

Other than that, I wanted to leave it up to all of you to vote. If you guys like this, maybe I can talk to Silver. But I can't promise a single thing.

Rohok

Really quick, can you remove the unserious option? People just keep choosing GTFO for the lulz.

MikeyTWolf

I noticed that...

Uhh...

:S

... that guy on the roster who is higher than private... yeah... has "SM" as a MOS. Anyone know what that means?

Tea

First of all: Silvers newest discovery in more flagging "rp_flag NAME" allows infinite flags, it used to be only limited to the factions tab in F1 - F4.

Second of all: All silver would need to do is add/swap a few sweps around and thats it, i dont think its that hard to add a gun to a flag...

Third of all: If you did somehow get this, your members will be more dedicated in DUTY, they would work hard and show great performance just to get a higher position. You should be happy with that Rohok.

MikeyTWolf

Quote from: Fragger21 Third of all: If you did somehow get this, your members will be more dedicated in DUTY, they would work hard and show great performance just to get a higher position. You should be happy with that Rohok.

Actually, we ARE working hard. :P We're still making do with shitty AK-74s to get the job done.

Besides, performance is subjective. If they want the new guns real badly, could they be trusted to be promoted and NOT DM then? Whereas those who get promoted because of their general RP and IC traits, a bigger gun would have little motivation to drive them on.

However, being able to spawn with skillset items would be nice e.g. Medics spawn with medical supplies and the ability to purchase more, creating reason to dig at Rohok's wallet ( :D ). Snipers get sniper rifles, Engy could get a shotgun (as apparently that's the tradtion according to several class based games) and ability to purchase armour repair kits, etc.

Rohok

Quote from: MikeyTWolf I noticed that...

Uhh...

:S

... that guy on the roster who is higher than private... yeah... has "SM" as a MOS. Anyone know what that means?

SM is short for Sergeant Major. If they don't have a real MOS, I just put their rank in the parenthesis.