Orientation and Coordination

Started by Asgatrave, 12-09-2013

Asgatrave

I started thinking about several issues I've spotted in-game when roleplaying, and I wanted to get some of this stuff cleared up.  I also plan to have this thread to address any other conflicting information of similar manner, though I doubt we'll have that sort of issue.

1.) East and West
          I've noticed that there have been differences between what is east and what is west.  We've been taught that the sun rises in the east, but we see east and west on a 2D world as if we are looking at a map (left would be west and right would be east).  In Terraria, though, the sun rises from the left which is usually seen as the west.  Thus, we have conflicting views on what is east and what is west.  Let's clear this up, shall we?  Of course, in-game, it is determined that the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.

2.) Time
          As we all know, Terraria's day-night cycle is extremely short, so time is always quite funny for keeping track of roleplaying (dating events and whatnot).  Every minute is one in-game hour, making 24 minutes equal one in-game day.  This is a pain to keep track of, so I've been using a time cycle I refer to as "The Cosmic Timeline" to keep track of when things happen.  The Cosmic Timeline is basically using the real world's time instead of the in-game time.  In this case, though, I'd like some sort of time zone designation to be the basis of The Cosmic Timeline.  What do all of you suggest for the time zone?  I live in the US East Coast, also known as EST (Eastern Standard Time) or UTC -5 hours.
            + It has been suggested that the person recording using The Cosmic Timeline should use their own time zone as the basis and others can coordinate their events using a time zone converter.  Here's a link to one: http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc  Here's an alternate option: http://www.thetimenow.com/time-zone-converter.php  Due to the nature of The Cosmic Timeline and its relation to IC characters, the basis of The Cosmic Timeline will be EST or UTC -5 hours.
I choose my cage and accept my prison, but I will always hold the key.  All you can do is create the obstacles for when I go free...

INA7HAN

How about the days and night cycles of the planet are just much faster than Earths? It is fantasy after all not like real life so

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Asgatrave

That has already been established in the programming itself, so there is little to be done for that.  Rather, on the issue of time, I'm providing an alternate method for recording events OOC (on the forums) with an aspect on time.  The in-game methods of time will be used for roleplaying most of the time, but some would prefer alternate... "teachings."  That is, an alternate way to follow time.  In this case, The Cosmic Timeline is a foreign IC method of keeping track of time for those who aren't physically affected by the day-night cycle (getting sleepy at night, for example).  But this is just diverting from the original issue...

Basically, I'm just asking about what time zone I should use for those planning on using The Cosmic Timeline.
I choose my cage and accept my prison, but I will always hold the key.  All you can do is create the obstacles for when I go free...

Dungeon_Lord

Whoever is recording should have the timeline be of their own and people who have things to add to the timeline should simply state when this event happened in the timeline's timezone. This could be easily done by adding a link to a page that would translate your timezone to the one that is selected for the timeline.
Help for hire! Seriously ask me for help, I need things to do.

Asgatrave

Noted.  I'll make an edit to the post, although it would be appreciated if someone can find a better link.

bastidon

I'm not an asshole, I just play one on TV.

Put me in coach I'm ready.