SRP: What you like/dislike, Want/Do not want PROPER DISCUSSION THREAD

Started by Tom, 07-11-2012

jaik

Quote from: knife_cz on 13-11-2012
Quote from: Nik3 on 13-11-2012
Quote from: Tom on 13-11-2012
Why are we trying to justify hoarding cash? I understand that traders ICly would want to make money but what I don't understand is why that IC desire for money should justify someone being greedy OOCly.
Because it actually takes effort to RP chr that is not like the player in real life.
inb4 response contains stuff about animals and killing people
I don't really understand your post to be honest.
But isn't roleplaying about /roleplaying/ a character? And not yourself?

And why are we even discussing weapons? Its the Zone, stuff from Ukranian military forces which died in Zone get to stalker's hands, or stalkers bring something from their home.
I don't see why srp should get new weapons.

I'm pretty sure that The Zone is an extremely profitable spot for any kind of (para)military dealer to trade in there. You'd most likely see a very large variety of gear there because of the demand.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Knife_cz

Quote from: Jake on 13-11-2012
Why are we trying to justify hoarding cash? I understand that traders ICly would want to make money but what I don't understand is why that IC desire for money should justify someone being greedy OOCly.
Because it actually takes effort to RP chr that is not like the player in real life.

And why are we even discussing weapons? Its the Zone, stuff from Ukranian military forces which died in Zone get to stalker's hands, or stalkers bring something from their home.

I'm pretty sure that The Zone is an extremely profitable spot for any kind of (para)military dealer to trade in there. You'd most likely see a very large variety of gear there because of the demand.
You got point on that.
But OOCly, why do we need more weapons? We have everything we need : Cheap weapons (Makarov, TOZ, AKu), Average weapons (AKM, Mossberg, L85), and then the expensive ones (VSS, Spas, FN2000,).
You got something to shoot with, is that not enough?

lolKieck

Quote from: Jake on 13-11-2012

You got point on that.
But OOCly, why do we need more weapons? We have everything we need : Cheap weapons (Makarov, TOZ, AKu), Average weapons (AKM, Mossberg, L85), and then the expensive ones (VSS, Spas, FN2000,).
You got something to shoot with, is that not enough?
Seeing the same shit for three years doesn't help and there aren't enough weapons which would for example fill the gap between Warsaw Pact and NATO weaponry.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Khorn

Even if it is a hot spot, the gear brought in would be by hand and on back. Not brought in by planes or vehicles.

Military would have the surplus of items. Everyone else would be getting only used or special order items.

What kind of trader drags expensive guns into such a dangerous zone in hope of selling it to adventures and bums?

I'd think traders would wait for orders before even thinking of bringing in anything to pricey.
Considering what effort and money you'd spend to get your shit into the zone.

Tom

Quote from: Khorn on 13-11-2012
Even if it is a hot spot, the gear brought in would be by hand and on back. Not brought in by planes or vehicles.

Military would have the surplus of items. Everyone else would be getting only used or special order items.

What kind of trader drags expensive guns into such a dangerous zone in hope of selling it to adventures and bums?

I'd think traders would wait for orders before even thinking of bringing in anything to pricey.
Considering what effort and money you'd spend to get your shit into the zone.

Barkeep kept pricey shit in his inventory. I'm playing through SoC right now and he usually has G36s, VLAs, Sig 550s, FN 2000s, and other pricey guns.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Khorn

Ones he probably found on dead stalkers. How many quantities does he have of each?

SGT-Spartans

I thought we were trying to get away from the whole " SRP is Stalker Game " idea?

EDIT

Sidorvich and Barkeep had connections with the army and etc. Its not like Stalker SHOC or Stalker CoP had to fit to more than one player. Its a single player game. Of course they aren't going to have alot of weapons to sell, its a game mechanic.
SRP chars:
Vasilli 'Vasoline' Nikolaev - Freedom - Alive
Aleksey Ipanov - Spooky Trenchcoat Man - Alive
'Pale' - Bloodsucker - Alive

StickyWicket

Khorn, you realize that most of the time the only thing stopping a smuggler from getting into the zone is a long hike and the dangers of the Zone itself, right? Most people who come to the Zone are normal people that are down on their luck. When they get rich, they think that weapons like the G36 and SPAS-12 will give them an edge over the enemy because video-games and Hollywood portrays them as weapons used by elite special forces. It's the same thing with the exoskeleton.

So yes, of course there's demand.

Khorn

You do also realize the danger of the zone is very great that a bunch of people get killed as the enter. Not to mention military will most of them down before they set foot inside the zone?

And you are saying the poor people in the zone all get rich? Most of them probably get stuck with the same gear until their death. Really, the only way these guns get in are through military, mercs, rich adventurous fucks, and lastly trader connections.

All the fancy guns in the game probably in some way make rounds through the zone like a dirty hooker.

Again, danger of the zone, you say it like it's not that bad. I'm pretty sure walking around the zone as a poor newbie normally results in death. Even the more prepared get their asses ripped apart by anomalies and mutants.

Spades_Neil

WE SHOULD FIX THE EXISTING BUGS

BEFORE ADDING BUGGY NEW FEATURES

SGT-Spartans

Holy balls, are we creating what is to be the Real Life Zone RP? Getting to technical with any game makes it bad. Like seriously, getting to serious makes it bad.
SRP chars:
Vasilli 'Vasoline' Nikolaev - Freedom - Alive
Aleksey Ipanov - Spooky Trenchcoat Man - Alive
'Pale' - Bloodsucker - Alive

Corocan

Over complicating things that are already complicated...

We don't need to figure out ways of how the gear gets into the Zone, because there are obviously multiple answers (Bribery, smuggling, even some of them can be built within the Zone).

We had a Lore and it worked. I don't see why we need to rewrite it several different directions.

Personally, I think we should focus on ways to keep our economy stable without having to restart it every few months because it's so absolutely fucked up by the same exact people. No-one's brought up any good ideas and that's primarily my main concern. The game became less interesting because only a small number of people were so well rooted into the Zone that they practically did whatever they wanted with impunity. Either there wasn't enough challenge or the illusion of "making it big in the Zone" was deader than road-kill, because you weren't that privilege few who had millions of rubles and so much gear you could supply the whole zone with LR-300s. So, instead of trying to directly fix the problem we just wipe everyone and jump back into the vicious cycle.

In a sense, it's like a leaking sewage system. It's leaking so everyone keeps getting shit all over them, so instead of fixing the sewage system, the hard way, they just destroy the entire sewage system and rebuild it. Sure, everyone's covered in shit but at least we'll be clean later... until it starts leaking again.

Khorn

Well, thanks for sharing your idea for fixing the 'leak'.

I'm pretty sure I went over a dozen points on whats wrong with the economy multiple times.

And also, I wasn't over complicating anything with guns, I was just stating that guns weren't so common, especially the higher tier ones, which is why bringing in guns from other countries would not help.

And in the simplest terms for the dummies; Adding more guns will not fix SRP.

irondeity

We've tried for an increase in prices, however it didnt fly because people complained they could no longer purchase even the simple things. Anytime a paycheck removal or reduction is brought up, its met with severe amounts of pitchforks and torches. What has not been done, however it has been mentioned on multiple occasions in the past by multiple sources, is a working damage/repair system. However I personally have not seen it implemented anywhere in the GMod community, if someone else has, then awesome share some knowledge.

There is an extremely thin line between the economy remaining balanced, and the economy taking a trip down the Slip n' Slide. As many know the factors are:

1) Equipment prices.
2) Traders and their expected missions.
3) Player deaths and Gear Return.
4) Lack of an actual server controlled method to absorb excess funds and remove them from the system until fresh pay has generated.

Among any various other causes people can think of to add to the list above.

I still believe if the server had something in place that could help regulate people money accumulating into the hundreds of thousands and higher, that the economy would find a natural way to keep level. A little tilt in the scales now and then, but thats also the threat of being where you are, one of the most naturally inhospitable places on earth due to nuclear fallout, and the first and most unnaturally inhospitable place on earth due to Soviet experiments gone awry. We can look into a "plateau" of how much money you can have at one time. We can lower pay gains for non-faction characters and up prices on equipment. We can cut pay out of factions all together except for maybe a bi-weekly lump sum that they can use to "resupply" arms and munition and possibly upgrade a few of their weapons to a higher grade/tier. We can research a possible Durability System on all weapons and suits, that frankly wont be cheap for the higher-end equipment. There are quite a few approaches to the matter, but you guys need to throw us a bone about which to invest more thought into rather than raise the banners of rage when something is attempted last minute to try and fix the problem.
Unaffiliated: Mikhal 'Sabre' Tokerov -:- Alive
Ex-Military/Spetsnaz: Andrei 'War' Mirkov -:- Alive
Military Observer: Victor Tokerov -:- Alive
Unaffiliated: 'Siege' -:- Deceased
Leoyid 'Rat Tail' Olinsky -:- Alive
The Tar Man -:- No Data

Tom

Quote from: irondeity on 13-11-2012
What has not been done, however it has been mentioned on multiple occasions in the past by multiple sources, is a working damage/repair system. However I personally have not seen it implemented anywhere in the GMod community, if someone else has, then awesome share some knowledge.

A community did it and has it in their script still, I can't really say the name here given the nature of how outrageous HGN is. . . But I'll give you some hints as to what community it is

1) Silver and HGN irrationally despise it, but they couldn't give a fuck less about us
2) They're a pretty sizable community.
3) Silver likes to refer to their script as "Shitty" (Pretty sure Tacoscript was made by these cats)
4) Their name starts with a "T" and ends in "aco and Banana"
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

jaik

What has not been done, however it has been mentioned on multiple occasions in the past by multiple sources, is a working damage/repair system. However I personally have not seen it implemented anywhere in the GMod community, if someone else has, then awesome share some knowledge.

A community did it and has it in their script still, I can't really say the name here given the nature of how outrageous HGN is. . . But I'll give you some hints as to what community it is

1) Silver and HGN irrationally despise it, but they couldn't give a fuck less about us
3) Silver likes to refer to their script as "Shitty" (Pretty sure Tacoscript was made by these cats)

That's just over the top, nobody hates TnB here except a few. Their script is far more superior than WS and I doubt Silver would want to look like an idiot in front of people that actually know something about scripting(personally I never heard him say that their script is 'shit').
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

ThY

Spades_Neil

Tom

Quote from: Jake on 14-11-2012

That's just over the top, nobody hates TnB here except a few. Their script is far more superior than WS and I doubt Silver would want to look like an idiot in front of people that actually know something about scripting(personally I never heard him say that their script is 'shit').

Well I know from personal experience that HGN AT LEAST dislikes tnb, also he had said to me that tacoscript was shit when I was requesting that we not use clockwork.
Oh boy.

Lent23

Quote from: Tom on 14-11-2012

Well I know from personal experience that HGN AT LEAST dislikes tnb, also he had said to me that tacoscript was shit when I was requesting that we not use clockwork.
The hatred stems from the fact that as HGN died last time, a significant amount of the members flocked towards TnB instead. That's about it. Silver seems to be jealous about how TnB is superior script-wise, and their community is much larger, and they have a custom canon. They also have pretty much custom everything, reflecting how the Zone might actually be.
In my opinion, they overdo it. You don't need every other person being a woman clad in a cross between an Exoskleton and a Seva suit, with steel chest plates. Our SRP has a sense of realism, a sense of staying closer to the games, a place where everybody has a common understanding of how things happen, what has happened, and why they have happened.
"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

ThY

Quote from: Lent23 on 14-11-2012

The hatred stems from the fact that as HGN died last time, a significant amount of the members flocked towards TnB instead. That's about it. Silver seems to be jealous about how TnB is superior script-wise, and their community is much larger, and they have a custom canon. They also have pretty much custom everything, reflecting how the Zone might actually be.
In my opinion, they overdo it. You don't need every other person being a woman clad in a cross between an Exoskleton and a Seva suit, with steel chest plates. Our SRP has a sense of realism, a sense of staying closer to the games, a place where everybody has a common understanding of how things happen, what has happened, and why they have happened.
Sorry Lent, you really don't know what you're on about <3

Knife_cz

Quote from: Lent23 on 14-11-2012

If I am correct, it was because of them taking some of our props and models, without asking or giving proper credit.
Anyway that is kinda out of topic, we should discuss more important things. Like re-adding container system back to srp, or which cannon we will use.

ThY

Let's get back on topic please c:

INA7HAN

Anyone think the AK-12 should be in SRP and give it to military for testing in the zones conditions? (IC reason)

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Spades_Neil

Quote from: INA7HAN on 14-11-2012
Anyone think the AK-12 should be in SRP and give it to military for testing in the zones conditions? (IC reason)

How about no?

[spoiler]How's about we make sure all the guns we currently have work like they should? For example, nerfing the crap out of the fire rate of almost every gun in the server so it's actually realistic?

Fuck, I'd do this. I did it for Fallout. Weapons never got uploaded, but I still did it for Fallout. I know PistolKid and some other guys fixed SRP guns a short while back but I don't know if they ever addressed this issue.

But yea let's fix the existing guns before we start adding slightly shinier clones of guns we already have.[/spoiler]