SRP: What you like/dislike, Want/Do not want PROPER DISCUSSION THREAD

Started by Tom, 07-11-2012

Lent23

Quote from: Paintcheck on 18-11-2012
You're never going to have a functioning economy because players bitch whenever anything is added that removes goods. Active bandits? Players bitch. Items disappear on death? Players bitch. Military captures you and takes your gear? Players bitch. That coupled with the "RPG elements" wherein gear is a HUGE upgrade means people are constantly striving for more and better gear.

If there wasn't such a huge difference in performance between top-end and low-end gear people would be less inclined to demand more money and demand better gear. If the Zone were real I think people would get a rifle that works and for the most part they stick with it; they won't play musical guns every week because they know the gun they have works. Also the firepower difference between an AK74M and a G36 in real life is miniscule, in game the two guns can't even compete with each other. You're encouraging people to be greedy with the RPG gear progression.
Without a goal to work for, there is no economy anyways. Nobody will want to buy a gun once they have an AK74M if it's just as good as the G36.
"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

Tom

Quote from: Lent23 on 18-11-2012
You're never going to have a functioning economy because players bitch whenever anything is added that removes goods. Active bandits? Players bitch. Items disappear on death? Players bitch. Military captures you and takes your gear? Players bitch. That coupled with the "RPG elements" wherein gear is a HUGE upgrade means people are constantly striving for more and better gear.

If there wasn't such a huge difference in performance between top-end and low-end gear people would be less inclined to demand more money and demand better gear. If the Zone were real I think people would get a rifle that works and for the most part they stick with it; they won't play musical guns every week because they know the gun they have works. Also the firepower difference between an AK74M and a G36 in real life is miniscule, in game the two guns can't even compete with each other. You're encouraging people to be greedy with the RPG gear progression.
Without a goal to work for, there is no economy anyways. Nobody will want to buy a gun once they have an AK74M if it's just as good as the G36.

Find other better goals to work for?
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Spades_Neil

There was a SWEP revamp some time ago where they supposedly balanced the guns out. I have no idea if it still made any real difference between firepower with these guns to equalize that too or if it was the same as it had been before.

I still say add a weapon decay system. Fuck the players if they want to bitch, as long as the decay system doesn't make a gun degrade faster than a 3rd grader with ADHD who just discovered Red Bull energy drinks. Like, make a gun degrade over a period of days--not hours--depending on how much you use it.

Lent23

Quote from: Tom on 18-11-2012

It's the basic goal that everybody instinctively works for.
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."

Tom

It's the basic goal that everybody instinctively works for.

Work for a better suit then.
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

KingArthur

Or, you know, role play and try to get better stuff to suit your roleplay on the side. I dont know. I know for a fact when I was a player in military all I was concerned about is RP/interaction.

Khorn

The goal for most people in the zone was adventure and make money for life in the outside world. Many changed that goal, or had the idea of just living in the zone due to excitement. Factions had their ideology too. Not many had the thought to upgrade their guns and gear and then live in the zone for the rest of their life. Most would leave after they made a ton of cash.

But if people want to play SRP just to upgrade their guns to the top gear, and do nothing else, let them leave. They aren't worth it.

Maybe put in an auto-delete if a character gets to a certain amount of cash, and just play it off as they left the zone, completing their goal./jk

Paintcheck

Quote from: KingArthur on 18-11-2012
Or, you know, role play and try to get better stuff to suit your roleplay on the side. I dont know. I know for a fact when I was a player in military all I was concerned about is RP/interaction.

That. It's a roleplaying server. Play an MMO if you want to grind gear. People are stuck in this mentality that their goals should be gear-related instead of based on character development. I had fun playing Omega and her only piece of gear was a 1911 and the most money I ever had on her was probably 1000 rubles; people have fun playing as mutants who have no gear at all. It can be done, people just don't like it.

Which leads to this catch-22: everyone is aware that having this system as it is is a problem but they also don't like the obviously and easy solution which is to make gear cosmetic or only offer small improvements. You can't have it both ways. If gear is the only thing worthwhile to you then you're not really roleplaying.

Rebel6609

And here we are, back on the discussion of guns. The fuck did we say? Players ARE going to go for better equipment no matter how you change it. Unless you forcibly lock people's equipment, they won't change.

<22:23:04> "Puffles": gofuckyourselfaggot
<22:25:12> You were banned for 5 hours from the server by "Cole" (For trolling)
Never in my life have I ever had to endure 9 yearolds calling me a banana picker, and then get banned afterwards for doing nothing wrong.
Promising Young admins.

Lent23

Quote from: KingArthur on 18-11-2012

That. It's a roleplaying server. Play an MMO if you want to grind gear. People are stuck in this mentality that their goals should be gear-related instead of based on character development. I had fun playing Omega and her only piece of gear was a 1911 and the most money I ever had on her was probably 1000 rubles; people have fun playing as mutants who have no gear at all. It can be done, people just don't like it.

Which leads to this catch-22: everyone is aware that having this system as it is is a problem but they also don't like the obviously and easy solution which is to make gear cosmetic or only offer small improvements. You can't have it both ways. If gear is the only thing worthwhile to you then you're not really roleplaying.
You can't even kill a Bloodsucker with anything less powerful than an AK-series rifle. Try to make it fun not having any gear.

Khorn

@Rebel: I see this discussion as good, as it's one of the biggest issue for this 'Roleplay' server.
It's not so much about guns, but items and gear in general. Plus gear whores.

If we go back to the old system, may as well call SRP, SGP. Stalker GearPlay.

@Lent: Not sure what you are going at. Are you talking about in SRP or STALKER? And what do you mean by that last part?

Lent23

Quote from: Khorn on 18-11-2012
@Rebel: I see this discussion as good, as it's one of the biggest issue for this 'Roleplay' server.
It's not so much about guns, but items and gear in general. Plus gear whores.

If we go back to the old system, may as well call SRP, SGP. Stalker GearPlay.

@Lent: Not sure what you are going at. Are you talking about in SRP or STALKER? And what do you mean by that last part?
Bloodsuckers in SRP are too powerful to kill with anything less powerful than an AK74M

Paintcheck

Then you fix that.

Editing a swep's damage requires 10 seconds of viewing and saving a text file. Just make all the assault rifles do (some acceptable amount of damage with some acceptable amount of accuracy) +/-5% for the high tier stuff. There you go, everything is effective, the higher tier stuff is slightly more effective but not so much more effective that it's god mode.

Tom

Then you fix that.

Editing a swep's damage requires 10 seconds of viewing and saving a text file. Just make all the assault rifles do (some acceptable amount of damage with some acceptable amount of accuracy) +/-5% for the high tier stuff. There you go, everything is effective, the higher tier stuff is slightly more effective but not so much more effective that it's god mode.

I like where this is going
Oh boy.

Lent23

Then you fix that.

Then you do it. Don't complain about it if it's ten seconds.

Spades_Neil

Then you fix that.

I was saying before...
Didn't we do this already?
Or did we go back to the old retarded system?

Khorn

The problem is, getting Silver to actually use the new fixes than making them.

Paintcheck

Sure thing Lent, just get Silver to release the SWEPs which he can't do yet because Clockwork isn't out. But unless editing sweps has changed dramatically from when I last did it (which I doubt) I think that will take all of an hour to do, probably even less.

And I don't know Spades I know PIstolkid and Tom both had shots at it and I think they rebalanced them to an extent but I am pretty sure the differences between high and low tier were still very apparent (though you'll have to ask them since that was well after I stopped playing).

Tom

Then you fix that.

Then you do it. Don't complain about it if it's ten seconds.

Someone sounds upset.
Oh boy.