SRP: What you like/dislike, Want/Do not want PROPER DISCUSSION THREAD

Started by Tom, 07-11-2012

Tom

I accidentally duplicated threads by trying to salvage the discussions on the original thread, and got help cleaning it up, but we accidentally moved the original thread to the scrap yard so bear with us while we move it back

However in the OP of that thread it stated "No Arguments or Discussions" I tried to salvage the first round of discussion and politely tell y'all discussion wasn't cool in that thread but you did it anyway. . . SO this is a thread, made, specifically for discussing that thread. If you post discussion in the main thread it will be deleted, not gonna try and salvage it. Post discussion here.

http://www.forums.hypergamer.net/the-cordon/srp-dislikelike-wantdo-not-want/

There is the thread.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Ace of Hearts

deluxulous

On the point of no gear return.

To properly analyze the problem, we have to look at why Gear Return is used in the first place. With gear return, more people are willing to engage in conflict that would otherwise be avoidable. So, first, we have to develop a system that discourages a "gear centered" mental train of thought within the game, otherwise a lot of people will never go into a firefight knowing that they won't get their precious items back. Sure, it discourages "rambo STALKERs" and otherwise stupid conflicts, but then you get into problems where it's avoided at ALL costs and starts causing more trouble than it solves, winding up ruining possibly great RP scenarios. I know that this doesn't apply to a select group of people, but for a large majority this has been a problem in the past.

So, essentially: 1) Develop some system discouraging item centered mentalities and instead promoting character development (might require a lot more admin participation and admin generated rewards due to the nature of the economy) 2) Look over and modify or amend any rules relating to GR and combat in general that make it fair for everyone. 3) Wipe out GR.

It's a simple solution, but actually achieving this will be incredibly difficult without some proper thought and good planning. It won't solve the problem entirely because in the end it comes down to the individual, but it will hopefully diminish it.

lolKieck

It will need admins who will actually work on it Pistolkid, and if the admin roster will be as big as it always was, then it'll be REALLY hard to do.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Khorn

Could just cut out gear and have a set of flags that have set gear when they spawn.

If they cant get new gear, they will be able to focus on actually participating in events and RP. Gear whores will be gone, so its a good thing.  Would need to work out on how to make flags for players fair enough to compete with others, in a realistic way.

Or, add in a sorta perma death system where when you die, you need to make a new character and you spawn with basic items. In order to get better, you buy up, shoot someone, or find items to use or sell. When a character dies, their inventory is dropped.
Gear whores will be gone around and people will be less interested in going about the zone, but the faux economy will still be around enough to stimulate STALKERs economy.

PingPong

My post from the previous thread

My opinion on Stalker.

-If paycheck's get removed you need to have an active admin team that will create jobs for stalkers etc

-Setting caps isn't such a bad thing for factions/traders etc as long as they periodically get opened with the increase of player base to the server.

-Make the server/rp more based around stalkers rather then factions.

-More events. Planned and random events. This will give new players a reason to come back and give regular players a reason to keep playing.

-An actual chance to find stuff around the map periodically instead of making artifacts and gear 99% based around events.

-Referring to my previous point. If this was put into place you would need to balance this out by having a decent amount of mutants or bandits around the map whether it be npc's, players, or admins to prevent people from just roaming around the map just looking for gear with no consequences. That way it adds a element of fear and risk.

-In order to achieve that you need an admin team who is active and dedicated enough to run the srp server, take care of events, and actually keeping the server alive rather then worrying about their own character.

In short you just need a proper balance for all aspects of the server and it should run great, shame its easier said then done.
Will add more points about different subjects later, short on time currently.
"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is just a statistic." -Joseph Stalin

KingArthur

Everything ping pong said. If factions spawn with gear, it needs to be of poor quality and not droppable.

Like Duty would spawn with Ak74Ms\Ak74us, that don't drop and have horrible\bad accuracy. Freedom would get the equal of that (Mp5s, L300's? I don't know), with horrible accuracy. Military the Ak74u, ect. ect. ect. Donation flags would get the actual weapon, with normal accuracy, not diminishing the reason to donate to the server. Again, factions should not be able to drop these weapons so there would not be 'lol' looting during battle of these 'low quality' weapons.

Knife_cz

Quote from: KingArthur on 08-11-2012
Everything ping pong said. If factions spawn with gear, it needs to be of poor quality and not droppable.
I guess factioners should start with some gear, not droppable.
But what if - for example - DUTY decides to attack some near bandits which camp near their base? What if the bandits kill them, they won't drop anything? And if they DUTY wins they grab their weapons?
Don't know really, thats just example.
And the weapons shouldn't be 'poor quality' more likely based on the Rank, Recruits MP5s/AKus or something and Sergants Akabans.

KingArthur

Quote from: knife_cz on 08-11-2012
And the weapons shouldn't be 'poor quality' more likely based on the Rank, Recruits MP5s/AKus or something and Sergants Akabans.

You should not diminish the value of getting 'actual' weapons for your faction by giving them out on spawn. That is what donations are for, unfortunately silver can not pay for the server off of pure charity.

Khorn

The biggest issue with PingPongs thing is how much reliance it puts on the admin team.

You can't make the server so reliant on something or someone. It was dependent on gear and admins last dozen times, and that failed. After a certain period of time, at least.

And secondly, his points have been regurgitated so many times, by so many others, that its become the same damn thing said every time a discussion on SRP pops up.

SRP needs to try something new, just like how FORP needed to be different. Both servers relied on the same idea of admins doing everything to keep the players attention while players hoarded items and sat around.

SRP shouldn't be made to be dependent on an admin team and some bullshit economy or it will sink in a couple months until Silver craps out a couple new items/map/models.

lolKieck

Quote from: Khorn on 08-11-2012
Could just cut out gear and have a set of flags that have set gear when they spawn.
I guess you already have a flag rank system made and how to rank up too.

Quote from: knife_cz on 08-11-2012
But what if - for example - DUTY decides to attack some near bandits which camp near their base? What if the bandits kill them, they won't drop anything? And if they DUTY wins they grab their weapons?
Don't know really, thats just example.
Not much of a point, besides, gear return.

Quote from: Khorn on 08-11-2012Or, add in a sorta perma death system where when you die, you need to make a new character and you spawn with basic items. In order to get better, you buy up, shoot someone, or find items to use or sell. When a character dies, their inventory is dropped.
I think that nearly EVERYONE in HGN would say no to this idea, firstly because it's kind of... well, dumb to get a character worth of 5-year IC plan development getting lost due to a mine, stray shot, NPC or a dumb bar shootout our players really love it seems. Secondly, it would discourage people RPing at all, because they'd be too scared to lose their character.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Khorn

People dying in the zone? Unheard of right?

I'd love to see a player hoard his character, it'd be his choice to hide in a bunker all day, too bad he'd never make a name of himself.

And a simple flag system with the approiate gear is easy, since most of the flags had a basic set. And it's not like they have all to be different from one or another, an exp stalker and vet stalker could carry similiar gear, just a different title.

But really, I'd love to see a player be afraid to roleplay life in the zone for the simple fear of his character dying. Stop having your hand held just for the sake of your 'oldfag' characters. Make a new one and move on and make a nother story. No more bullshit characters that have existed since the dawn of time and know secrets of the zone. No more of that crap. HGN's SRP is so damn unserious most of the time and boring since only a handful of people are willing to risk everything they made just to make an interesting story. Take a step away from the cookie cutter design that HGN has been stuck with for every RP server it's had.

Steven :D

Better idea, implement a stalker-like condition system so weapons can break.

Otto

People dying in the zone? Unheard of right?

I'd love to see a player hoard his character, it'd be his choice to hide in a bunker all day, too bad he'd never make a name of himself.

And a simple flag system with the approiate gear is easy, since most of the flags had a basic set. And it's not like they have all to be different from one or another, an exp stalker and vet stalker could carry similiar gear, just a different title.

But really, I'd love to see a player be afraid to roleplay life in the zone for the simple fear of his character dying. Stop having your hand held just for the sake of your 'oldfag' characters. Make a new one and move on and make a nother story. No more bullshit characters that have existed since the dawn of time and know secrets of the zone. No more of that crap. HGN's SRP is so damn unserious most of the time and boring since only a handful of people are willing to risk everything they made just to make an interesting story. Take a step away from the cookie cutter design that HGN has been stuck with for every RP server it's had.

You have to account for the fact that it's so much easier to die in a game than in real life.

Khorn

I didn't realize that the zone was supposed to be easy. I thought going into the zone was basically the same as sentencing your own death.

Wasn't there a character or quote in the game saying if you get killed by a bullet you're lucky. I don't get why you people want to play the easy-bake oven version of Stalker.

Otto

I didn't realize that the zone was supposed to be easy. I thought going into the zone was basically the same as sentencing your own death.

Wasn't there a character or quote in the game saying if you get killed by a bullet you're lucky. I don't get why you people want to play the easy-bake oven version of Stalker.

Because there's plenty of fun to be had in getting killed by a random stray bullet and PK'ed after months of character
development.

D33tly

Quote from: lolKieck
Quote from: Khorn on 08-11-2012Or, add in a sorta perma death system where when you die, you need to make a new character and you spawn with basic items. In order to get better, you buy up, shoot someone, or find items to use or sell. When a character dies, their inventory is dropped.
I think that nearly EVERYONE in HGN would say no to this idea, firstly because it's kind of... well, dumb to get a character worth of 5-year IC plan development getting lost due to a mine, stray shot, NPC or a dumb bar shootout our players really love it seems. Secondly, it would discourage people RPing at all, because they'd be too scared to lose their character.

Not to mention if a random RDM'er comes onto the server and shoots and kills your character
"Well, your character died. Sorry after 5 months of developing him and making friends, time for you to make a new character."
or the player could say...
"Fuck this, I ain't staying on a server like this. I can go onto another server that I get to keep my character/gear after an RDM'er."
Which do you think Average Joe (Which you seem to be saying is about nothing but gear) will choose? The one where he keeps his gear, or the one where he looses all of it?

Khorn

Get rid of the stupid kids that want to hoard. There are ways, I've said many times, to make it so gear isn't the sole part of the game and anyone will be able to obtain in a way similar to the games.

But I forget, the majority of HGN now is filled with kids that want gear and nothing else.

HitMan5523

Get rid of the stupid kids that want to hoard. There are ways, I've said many times, to make it so gear isn't the sole part of the game and anyone will be able to obtain in a way similar to the games.

But I forget, the majority of HGN now is filled with kids that want gear and nothing else.
i want gear khorn gibi gibi gibi and the booty
I'm hip! What are you talking about!

Otto

I find it hilarious that people still bring up this old arguement.

Khorn

Quote from: Otto on 08-11-2012

I find it hilarious that people still bring up this old SRP.

HitMan5523

Quote from: Otto on 08-11-2012

I find it hilarious that people still bring up this old SRP.
booty
I'm hip! What are you talking about!

Thanatos

HELLO! I'm here for one quick.. Er.. Summary because I never got to do this in my time in HGN. HERE WE GO!

people will be less interested in going about the zone
W- What? SO SUPPOSEDLY, we shouldn't be interested in walking around the Zone in a Zone roleplay.

That's basically why SRP died quickly. Nobody wanted to walk around because they were too scared of Bloodsuckers doing triple back flips, and pulling off a Mortal Kombat finisher, instead of y'know. Sucking the STALKERs blood.

But really, I'd love to see a player be afraid to roleplay life in the zone for the simple fear of his character dying.
This already happened. And again, nobody left the bars.

Goodbye!
P.s. Hi Hitman.

Meanwhile outside of Leshiy's door.

Adam 'Sporadic' Dominika - Alive | Squirrel - Alive | Jordan Redmond - Alive | Njal - MIA | Bowie - MIA

SGT-Spartans

What does a player get from wondering from the bars? There is hardly anything alluring to stalkers that they really want to get their hands on that actually appears within SRP.

@Khorn: You can't get rid of the "kids" who hoard gear. It isn't against the rules and its fun for them. Whats fun for someone isn't always fun for someone else. Thats the problem with your envision of a perfect roleplay--- thats just it, a -perfect- roleplay. For a perfect roleplay, we need a perfect community. So really, the problem doesn't solely lie in gear.
SRP chars:
Vasilli 'Vasoline' Nikolaev - Freedom - Alive
Aleksey Ipanov - Spooky Trenchcoat Man - Alive
'Pale' - Bloodsucker - Alive

KingArthur

Quote from: SGT-Spartans on 08-11-2012
What does a player get from wondering from the bars? There is hardly anything alluring to stalkers that they really want to get their hands on that actually appears within SRP.
Admins need to make stuff to do, and make 'exploring' worth it by placing random stashes of small good like ammo, medpacks, and the occasional (low teir) weapon. You know, what I used to do. :|