SRP: Dislike/Like , Want/Do Not Want

Started by SGT-Spartans, 29-10-2012

SGT-Spartans

As the title says
Post what you feel like made you/Did not make you
Get on SRP and roleplay

Since Gontzah's thread inspired so many of you to provide constructive criticism, I figured it should be put into orderly fashion, so that the good ideas that we're sandwiched by useless/bad posts can actually be read and put to work. Also, no derailing will happen here :)

Thread Rules ( Follow Them ) -
1. Posts should be orderly, in the formatted provided ( See Bottom )
2. Any posts devolving into arguing about dumb things and derailing, will be snipped and
a warning will be applied ( Example: http://www.forums.hypergamer.net/the-cordon/so-what%27s-the-situation/ )
3. This Thread is for Silverknight and SRP Admins to read through and gather opinions in an orderly manner, not a turdballed argument like the last thread.
4. This isn't the place to argue about other people's ideas. We aren't going to throw in something just because one person likes it, likewise throwing out things. As I said before, gathering thoughts ( there will be another thread for that )

What I liked:
Why I liked it:

What I didn't like:
Why I didn't like it:

What I want to see:
Why I want it in SRP:

What I want taken out/Never put in:
Why I Don't want it/want it taken out of SRP:
SRP chars:
Vasilli 'Vasoline' Nikolaev - Freedom - Alive
Aleksey Ipanov - Spooky Trenchcoat Man - Alive
'Pale' - Bloodsucker - Alive

Gonztah

What I want to see: A move forward in the timeline to perhaps early CoP time.
Why I want it in SRP: Because we've been sitting in Shoc time for a while and this could make it a bit interesting, rather move forward a bit than stay in the same spot forever.

INA7HAN

What I want to see: COP timeline, more weaponry (preferably cheap guns for new players) Player based factions can be made for free but you need auths to make them which you apply for on the forum giving the backstory of the faction, what it stands for etc so we know about the faction and millions of random factions with two people in don't show up.
Why I want it in SRP: New things, such as areas, anomalies, artifacts and mutants. An event could be made to do with a Chimera for instance.

What I liked: An event ages ago when I roughly started playing SRP where the Mansion on occult was attacked by blood suckers.
Why I liked it: The bloodsuckers were good roleplayers and were constantly moving around keeping the STALKERS guessing on their location. There was lots of fear rp and some Injury roleplay involved. Before the blood suckers came players were building defences such as blocking off windows.

What I didn't like: The power gaming and lack of reasonable roleplay by some people.
Why I didn't like it: If I were to shoot someone a metre away I would do an attempt to avoid powergaming, but they should roleplay being hit as they're only a metre away. Yet most times you get people doing combat slides and other things to avoid a fast moving bullet in a few mili seconds, people need to learn that in these cases they would be shot.

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Tom

What I want to see: New canon (also a divorce of the idea that we need to be just like the games)
Why I want it in SRP: Perhaps instead of just moving the timeline forward or backward, perhaps we could move it backward AND let the canon/lore go in whatever way the players drive it toward, IE: We ignore strelok, we stop thinking "SHIT WE'Z IN SOC TIME? DAT MEANS WE CAN ONLY DO THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN DAT GAME"
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

TheAndyShandy

What I want to see: The canon being shifted forwards beyond CoP

Why I want it in SRP: It reaches a nice little grey area that allows us to:

A- create our own canon beyond the plot points in CoP, by setting just after the events that unfold within Pripyat, this would allow us to go on with SRP's lore without being restricted by key premises in the previous games.

B- keep the previous lore, therefore eliminating the need for a character wipe.

Warning, this news report contains flashing images.

Spades_Neil

Roleplaying

What I liked: Artifact hunting roleplay with buddies and sharing the loot fairly and admins to make the artifacts appear when detected.
Why I liked it: I don't care if we only went home with one lousy artifact and had to split the thousand rubles among five people. Going out and interacting with each other, having conversation, trying to figure out the puzzle of where an artifact is going to pop up next, I enjoyed that more than any gun fight.

What I didn't like: Lolbandits and GEAR frenzies.
Why I didn't like it: An admin who is either too lazy or too uncaring to roleplay out the appearance of artifacts and instead just drops a bunch of loot all over the map is pretty damn boring. It also causes a frenzy of gear hungry faggots to go sprinting around the map and kill each other over the smallest things.

What I want to see: Stash hunting RP.
Why I want it in SRP: Again for sheer sake of adventure, I want there to be a bread crumb trail style RP of stashes leading to different sets of loot. Even if the loot isn't valuable, I'd like it to be interesting to find.

What I want taken out/Never put in: Auto-spawning gear. Auto-spawning NPCs might be nice in certain spots (if they STAY in those spots) because every now and then I'm feeling a little trigger happy, and some areas should be somewhat inaccessible. However, absolutely never, ever, ever put auto-spawning gear into STALKER.
Why I Don't want it/want it taken out of SRP: Isn't it obvious? It'll fuck the economy real quick and it'll make gathering gear a chore and not an adventure.

Active RP

What I liked: When there was real danger from the environment around us, and not just the chat telling me who's alive and who's dead.
Why I liked it: Better immersion when the guy next to you who was just shot in roleplay is actually shot dead and his ragdoll hits the ground in a bloody mess. Or, when an anomaly sucks him up, or a bloodsucker eats him... No more of this "RP death" crap. If someone dies, fucking kill 'em. Gear return verses no gear return should be an option of the killer. (Mutant RP being a notable exception, in which case I only ever steal one bit of gear like a gun if I feel like it and hide it somewhere on the map, but that's just a personal policy.)

What I didn't like: Strongly action-based roleplay. (STM/STRP being the focus. STK at least couldn't be argued over. You died, you died. No whining. You died.)
Why I didn't like it: It always turns into a bitch-fest whenever two groups of people are roleplaying out the damn combat. You can't post fast enough, you can't always definitively understand always what's happening, and it's harder to kill and get killed because no one wants to get killed. At least in STK battles, if you get shot, fight's over. No arguments.

What I want to see: I want to see the specifics of STK verses STRP to be revised somehow.
Why I want it in SRP: Bandits, for example, if I'm robbing some poor SOB, I should have every right to rob his ass blind and shoot him in the face when I'm done if he knows my identity somehow. (I was usually very good about ICly concealing my identity.) On the other hand, if I'm the one being robbed, and I'm just fast enough to bring up my gun and shoot the guy before he shoots me, or, if I'm in a Mexican standoff, I can pull the trigger first both ICly and OOCly. I really don't expect this to ever happen though without just going full STK-only in STALKER, which leads to my next point... I should also note, that this does not count for melee-based combat like mutants or boxing STALKERs.

What I want taken out/Never put in: STK-only rules.
Why I Don't want it/want it taken out of SRP: I'm defeating my own point above. STK/STRP is too complicated for this reason. If we get rid of some of the rules surrounding RDM, or we loosen them up too much, then RP sucks for other reasons. I'd like to follow the philosophy of "Don't shoot someone for no reason what so ever" but then that even disallows some bandits from ambushing someone who they could easily cap. We don't want this turning into the same gameplay of DarkRP or fucking DayZ. Alas, we may never streamline the STK and RDM rules...

Passive RP

What I liked: Opportunities to passive RP at bars.
Why I liked it: STALKERs are human too. A little music, a barkeep selling nothing but vodka and bread, and a few STALKERs having conversation or gambling creates more entertaining roleplay than any STK fight I've ever been in.

What I didn't like: Sitting on my ass with everyone in the bar in dead silence doing fucking nothing.
Why I didn't like it: The admins can't help this. This is just players being boring and not understanding how to passive RP.

What I want to see: More initiative by players to passive RP between action-based RPs. Selectable guitar songs, harmonicas, radios, maybe even mini-games that STALKERs could play with each other to pass the time or to gamble. Hell maybe even some dispensers that sell vodka! They have those in Russia, right?! (I'm kidding about that last one.)
Why I want it in SRP: Admins, plonk down a radio or something. Give us something to amuse ourselves. Players, just do random odd jobs around the stalker camps or tell some stories or something! Exile, add more fawking guitar songs and an animation if possible! Maybe a harmonica! Make them readily available for us to use! It'll keep us busy while we're sitting otherwise idle, and it'll keep us online!

What I want taken out/Never put in: DO NOT ADD STATIC GEAR-SPAWNING OBJECTS INTO THE GAME!
Why I Don't want it/want it taken out of SRP: This isn't passive RP. This is farming. Exile added such a thing to Fallout and I believe Crussaria. I never used it in Fallout because it was bad.

Immersion

What I liked: The immersion was good when it had everyone absorbed in the moment.
Why I liked it: Do I need to explain? When everyone is in-character, for good or for ill, I love it. Whether on Fallout or on STALKER, whether happy or sad, when you feel the emotions of your character, the roleplay is gold.

What I didn't like: Derping
Why I didn't like it: I'm as guilty of it as anyone, and there need to be faster, more consistent consequences. (Krophi, I'm calling you out! You and your dancing!!) Warn, kick, and then short five to ten minute bans. (Playerstrikes and permabans only if it gets really fucking excessive.)

What I want to see: More immersion!
Why I want it in SRP: Why do I need to explain? Make more artifacts work. FIX THE FUCKING BUGS. Repair existing features before adding new ones, or you just create more bugs and break the immersion more!

What I want taken out/Never put in: THE BUGS!!
Why I Don't want it/want it taken out of SRP: I'd rather see the bugs fixed than a new gun to play with. For fuck's sake Exile, test your stuff before you publish it. This is a plague of our servers.

Military

What I liked: Being a sharpshooter/marksman.
Why I liked it: It fits my style of stealth and cunning as opposed to running and gunning. Plus, I follow orders. I don't shoot unless given the command.

What I didn't like: Being a sharpshooter/marksman.
Why I didn't like it: If I'm a sniper, and I blow your brains out, you're not going to see it coming, you can't evade it unless you're moving and I miss, and you can't RP against it, so why the fuck do I have to wait for an admin to say to everyone, "STK!" to give them all a chance to panic and scatter? Oh, and then they argue, "NO YOU CAN'T SEE ME YOU CAN'T SEE ME" even though I just turned their skulls into a pink mist and could easily do so in-game by clicking my mouse.

What I want to see: Make some rules regarding snipers especially in factions.
Why I want it in SRP: The order, "Fire" over the radio should carry as much weight as "/me pulls the trigger". In the time it takes for me to type, my target could move. Admins shouldn't acknowledge it being RDM if I was given the order to shoot and there was a good IC reason for doing so. When my commander says "Fire" I should be able to shoot-to-kill (or wound depending on the target). An admin should only need to verify that I did not act without any RP what so ever. I can't count how many times I've roleplayed my shots only to have them completely ignored by everyone else because a sniper is too far away to RP normally. I should be able to just shoot.

What I want taken out/Never put in: Don't give entirely the same set of rules to players using snipers.
Why I Don't want it/want it taken out of SRP: They usually do not follow a chain of command. In this case, "/me pulls the trigger" or something of the nature is still required. However, maintain the IC reasoning required for killing someone.

STK Zones

What I liked: STK zones.
Why I liked it: There was an inherit danger to the area and your combat abilities became usable.

What I didn't like: The occasional derp who keeps running back to get killed because it's funny to him.
Why I didn't like it: It was funny sometimes, but it also got annoying. Warn, kick, ban for short periods of time.

What I want to see: STK zones where players can kill each other freely.
Why I want it in SRP: For Fallout, there was a zone around the Enclave base where players were warned prior to entry that they were entering an free-fire zone with no gear return. I'd like to see something similar in STALKER where certain areas of the zone--preferably sectioned off maps where there are defined entrances and exits to different parts of the map, instead of open terrain, making it easier to warn players entering. This way you can label a spot, "YOU ARE NOW ENTERING A SHOOT-TO-KILL ZONE! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!" Why would people go to such places? Shortcuts or loot for STALKERs. Mugging people for the bandits. Skirmishes for the factions.

What I want taken out/Never put in: Don't make faction bases any kind of STK zone anymore.
Why I Don't want it/want it taken out of SRP: I didn't appreciate randomly getting shot at by STALKERs who were acting like Rambo and making pot shots at the military base when I was on patrol. The military however should have every right to fire a wounding warning shot, and if they keep getting closer, a shot to kill. However the same should not be true vise-versa where STALKERs can randomly kill military, because the military keeps to themselves.

I'll come up with more later. I gotta go vote.

deluxulous

What I want to see: Higher levels of inter-faction activity.
Why I want it in SRP: The faction leaders themselves and possibly admins would probably have to come to a consensus, but without the factions actively communicating or vying for dominance over one another, the purpose of the factions becomes null and void. All of the factions have long term goals which cannot be reasonably completed for the sake of RP, canon, and balance, unless the canon was to become custom at some point in time. However, they still should act like they are trying to achieve those goals, as well as short term goals which may be petty but necessary. While they are trying to achieve said goals (be they long term or short term) contact with other factions becomes inevitable for whatever reasons (conflicting or similar interests, hatred for other faction, what have you). Faction "wars" (in the violent sense) should not be the primary focus, but are certainly a large part in the sense for territory control and whatever else might rise. What I'd like to see is an increase in diplomacy and strategy with other factions. (Total War esque to compare it to something relatable) Just a thought, I suppose.

Tom

STOP DISCUSSING IN THIS THREAD.

I said polietly that Sgt. Spartans didn't want discussion in this thread. APPARENTLY you can't read/didn't see the "DISCUSSION" thread (Now there are two cause I fucked up)

NO DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Tom

Oh boy.

Spades_Neil

Streamline the STK Rules

What I didn't like: The confusing STK / RDM / Gear Return rules.
Why I didn't like it: It seems to be up to the victim, not the assailant, whether or not to STK even when the situation was fully roleplayed out. Like, if I have a guy tied up and I execute him, I should be allowed to just OOCly shoot the guy--but if I do dat's a banu.

What I want to see: Improve the STK rules. I have a suggestion as to how.
Why I want it in SRP: It'd make RP more immersive, and eliminate some OOC bitching about getting killed.

Here's what I'm suggesting:
1) If two groups or two players engage in mutual combat, as in both parties are OOCly prepared to fight, it is only gear-return if the victorious party or an administrator says to return gear (such as with faction battles, where gear is most often returned). For groups, if one such party OOCly declares they disagree to an STK battle, they must forfeit the battle by retreating. STM combat may ensue for sake of show. If they cannot leave the area within an allotted time, it turns into an STK fight. Alternatively, if they return fire, it turns into an STK fight.

2) In the case of 'lolrunning', a situation where a player just suddenly bolts off without RP or with barely any RP, the assailing party may open fire on the victim also without RP. Just act in character anyway. If the fleeing party somehow manages to escape, they will not be reprimanded by admins. If the assailants manage to kill the victim before he can find safety, they will not be reprimanded by the admins and may take whatever gear they want.

3) Encourage use of dice! People bitch about using the dice in roleplay, which I think is stupid. Why not? Because there's a chance you might lose the roll? I heavily utilized dice when playing a bloodsucker because it made it possible for my opponents to have a fair chance at both victory and defeat. There's only one situation where I've ever had someone complain about my using dice, but they refused to use it in return, and so my bloodsucker ultimately killed them and they complained of powergaming although I had never forced them to do anything, never auto-hit them, and never did anything more than "/me attempts to..." and yet they still whined. Dice helps eliminate the ambiguity. Provided, obviously you can't dice roll a matrix dodge of bullets, the actions taken must still be realistic, but dice can be especially useful in pistol duels or melee fights, where standard "STK" rules just don't work.

4) Perhaps implement a faction-on-faction "STK Freefire Zone"? Certain areas preferably in the middle of the map which Freedom, Duty, and the Military may just shoot each other without warning. Attacking enemy bases still must be cleared in OOC, and must have enough players online for both sides, but factions may otherwise go on patrol in these regions or set up ambushes in them. These zones should be specified on the forums.

5) Any idiots who lolshoot at a faction patrol, especially military, that patrol should be able to STK their stupid arse--even if they were shooting to miss. Seriously this pisses me off.

6) For execution-like scenarios, like I have a gun pointed at someone, and they are undefended, just let me shoot the damn guy if I want. It should be up to the attacker whether or not to OOCly shoot, or to take gear or not.

Stricter PermaKill Authorization Rules

What I didn't like: The PK policy (or there lack-of one).
Why I didn't like it: It's too easy to get a PK on someone.

What I want to see: Make some rules for PKs. My own policy for FORP was I had to have not only a good reason for a PK, but more than one person asking for the PK. I say policy as opposed to rule because it takes human judgement by an admin to decide if a PK request from one person is good enough to get the PK, or alternatively, if the PK request of 5 different people is still a stupid request because all the guy did was spit on their shoes or something.
Why I want it in SRP: People have been known to abuse the PK auths. It should be reserved for stuff worth permanently killing someone over, like infamous repeat-offender bandits or faction deserters. Not because some guy called you and your buddy names.

EDIT: Tom informs me this hasn't been a big issue for SRP. So, if it hasn't been one, forget my request as it over-complicates things. We've had the issue once or twice in FORP and it's what made me use this policy. Once or twice is too often.