Shoot to Miss?

Started by Communist Panda, 07-12-2008

Communist Panda

I see that the Shoot to Miss thing isn't understood by a lot of people..

When me, Jaxback, and Kaboose built a base, we shot at (not hitting) a few people invading our Compound. So, they decided to raid us, and informed us OOCly to just make a fun RP raid. The main person in the raid was Locke, who did an excellent job in the Shoot-to-miss. However, some Mercs and Stalkers just ran in shooting at us and took perfect shots, killing us instantly. This caused a huge fuss.

I was thinking to maybe give people more health, or try to see for one day the PvP damage turned off so we can try to RP without killing eachother, and try more Shoot-to-miss.

Most people do, however, shoot-to-miss correctly, and this thread was made to inform others how to actually MISS.

Step 1) Raise your gun.
Step 2) DO NOT AIM AT THE PERSON, ONLY NEAR HIM
Step 3) Fire in SHORT bursts, and make sure if the person is moving a lot to aim far away from them.
Step 4) If you do hit them, try not to do it again.

Thanks for reading.
Characters -
John 'Wolf' Rhinehart - Slightly leniant
Alexei 'Skulker' Tarsov - Complete jackass
Vanechka Koslovski - Rough but kind
Dmitri Aleshnikov - Trader, what do you think?

Devster

It would be nice if people could follow this.

mrd

Shooting to kill should be bannable.

Yuri Fedorov

Isn't there a way to modify weapon accuracy with the LUA files? I mean, the weapons are custom anyway, surely there's some kind of accuracy modifier in the files somewhere? If the guns were made to be really inaccurate through code, it would be impossible to shoot to kill at any long distances.
Yuri Fedorov - Applicant to DUTY
Vitaly Tarasov - Explorer of the ZONE

Turnkey

Hmm, im happy with being shot, ASLONG as the person who shot me roleplayed it properlly.

MikeyTWolf

I reckon it would be reasonable if people only fired (or at least had their gun locked to semi- or burst fire modes) 2 to 3 shot bursts at one another moving the aim around a bit, at least pretending there's recoil. There isn't a crosshair on anything other than the sniper scopes (I think) so aiming should be poor without ironsight, either by skill or settings, and the ironsight could be set to automatically turn off when the character moves.

Also, about being hit, I reckon it should not be discouraged so much, but it shouldn't be on purpose either. In other words for example:

Target is sprinting across the screen. You can take a brief spray at them as they run past. Should they be hit, this would teach them to be more careful, both OOCly and ICly.

They are hiding behind cover. Keep firing in even bursts even if they aren't in sight anymore. This creates the IC feel of trying to suppress the enemy, due to fear of being suppressed and possibly hit in return. Should anyone be hit this way, it should be because they have exposed themselves too long or carelessly, and they should hide.

In all cases; should a hit be made, you should wait a few seconds before firing again to allow room to RP hiding and such.

This way, your character can be demerited for being careless, not a worse FPS player. Get too many little demerits, and it adds up to being incapacitated.

What do you guys think?

Locke

Its true, for those of you still confused , you should read my thread on shoot to miss etiqutte

Krieg

Quote from: Communist Panda I see that the Shoot to Miss thing isn't understood by a lot of people..

When me, Jaxback, and Kaboose built a base, we shot at (not hitting) a few people invading our Compound.  So, they decided to raid us, and informed us OOCly to just make a fun RP raid.  The main person in the raid was Locke, who did an excellent job in the Shoot-to-miss.  However, some Mercs and Stalkers just ran in shooting at us and took perfect shots, killing us instantly.  This caused a huge fuss.

I was thinking to maybe give people more health, or try to see for one day the PvP damage turned off so we can try to RP without killing eachother, and try more Shoot-to-miss.

Most people do, however, shoot-to-miss correctly, and this thread was made to inform others how to actually MISS.

Step 1) Raise your gun.
Step 3) Fire in SHORT bursts, and make sure if the person is moving a lot to aim far away from them.

Thanks for reading.

You are telling us that shoot to miss is to miss every shot you perform, however, if we do it your way, then nobody will ever die, and what's the point of a firefight? To kill your enemy.

I am not against "shoot to miss", but you are supposed to hit them sometimes, basically, aim near them and miss many shots, but eventually, try to hit them in the feet, or in the legs, or in the stomach.

Yuri Fedorov

Vityaz has a really persuasive argument in my opinion. OOC rules should reflect IC circumstances -- namely the danger and risk of the ZONE.
Yuri Fedorov - Applicant to DUTY
Vitaly Tarasov - Explorer of the ZONE

Communist Panda

Im likin' all the replies - this needs to be discussed.

I like a few of these ideas too, and deffinetely agree with the fact that you should hit SOMETIMES, not 24/7. Also, if your hit, RP being hit. If you start screamin or whatever, you can maybe even get a nice RP of being captured which makes for a pretty cool RP.
Characters -
John 'Wolf' Rhinehart - Slightly leniant
Alexei 'Skulker' Tarsov - Complete jackass
Vanechka Koslovski - Rough but kind
Dmitri Aleshnikov - Trader, what do you think?

MattyK

Quote from: Vityaz This is how I think it should be. Really.

Stalker comes off pretty clearly that The Zone is a shitty place to be, and if you don't have the common sense to not fuck with the wrong people you wont last long, that's exactly how its going to work here.

In other words, people are going to kill people in this theme - it happens, if someone kills the wrong person then they'll get in deep shit and get killed off, or if someone is causing trouble in a factions territory, the faction will take care of it. Senseless killing and DMing wont be tolerated, im not talking about that. I'm talking about Regular Joe, someone whos been playing on the server long enough to get a suit and a Fort15, walks up to people and starts firing in the crowd - a few people die (Not PKs, ofcourse), they get pissed and respawn and start whining on OOC..Instead of sitting there whining in OOC and acting as if you can't take care of yourself, if the player killed you IC, respawn and find the local faction in the territory you were killed on, tell them there's a guy making trouble (IC - say he killed other people, not you), and its the factions responsibility to keep their territory how they want it - so they'll most likely take care of it. They WILL take care if it if its Freedom, Duty, Military, Merc, etc because in canon its their obligation to keep their territory under control, or atleast to their liking.

Long story short, the server should be Dog Eat Dog and Natural Selection, as in if theres a faction messing around and fucking shit up, one of the big pre-established factions will take care of them, every faction wants to hold absolute power..So they fight over it, it happens. This doesn't mean the pre-established "canon" factions will forever have more territory and be better than all the new factions created by you guys, They didn't get where they are by going around and killing people for no reason - you can't either.

- Vityaz(Conlich)

Monolith obliterated Red Storm because they were a lode of minges and RP avoiders.
And I was happy to be the one to lead them in that charge.
Streex too ofcourse :3
Follow my Twitter HERE!

DevilMayPoop

I have played the server for few days and i love Shoot To Miss rp and I havnt even kille done people on the server. I just hope people would rp not dm on the server. :)

Lolbo

If somebody wants to hit you he should ask OOCly and if you agree he should be able to hit you in RP.
"You want peace ? Prepare for war" Sergej Marsukai - Ukrainian ground forces private.

Dom

Quote from: Vityaz (Wall of text)

Very well said Vityaz.
Kutos.

Tunddruff

Quote from: Communist Panda I see that the Shoot to Miss thing isn't understood by a lot of people..

When me, Jaxback, and Kaboose built a base, we shot at (not hitting) a few people invading our Compound. So, they decided to raid us, and informed us OOCly to just make a fun RP raid. The main person in the raid was Locke, who did an excellent job in the Shoot-to-miss. However, some Mercs and Stalkers just ran in shooting at us and took perfect shots, killing us instantly. This caused a huge fuss.

Step 1) Raise your gun.

Thanks for reading.
\

Could you KINDLY explain this to Jman. I dont like dieing. Or when im trying Rp about die, then get sprayed.