Chapter 4: The Schism

Started by VonXeno, 03-09-2017

VonXeno

The Ironhand Guard has fallen. Only a few lingering mercenaries who were on other duties remain. Vondus, the sole survivor of the Crimson Harvest, is wounded and broken from everything he's seen. He is filled with rage and sorrow, for all of his fallen allies.

Back at the capital, an agent of the Shroud of Silent Autumn finds a peculiar scene; The Prince of Almustadt imprisoned by his own father for allowing such a campaign to occur. Sveyr runs and tells the only people he can go to for help; the foreign heroes he met through Vondus.

The heroes steal away into the castle during a change of guard, inadvertently freeing several war prisoners and criminals along with the Prince. General Yohlmund of the Crimson Lion Knights catches them in the act, and the heroes flee the scene with the Prince in tow.

Vondus, meanwhile, flies into the castle in a fit of rage, and upon seeing the King, attacks him wildly with his bare fists. It takes several of the heroes to pull him off, after which he runs off into the forest. And once he comes out, though calmed, he loses the ability to speak.

But the actions of the band of heroes came at a cost; they are all branded criminals by the Crown.

Princess Serris is sent to the Ironhand Guard camp to investigate, searching for Vondus and anyone who may be harboring him. She is stopped by Olmir, an old paladin of Naud, who challenges Serris in single combat for disrespecting the Ironhand and their right to grieve the dead.

Olmir is the victor, and Serris, in her pride, is forced to leave the camp, with the knowledge that Vondus is indeed there.

But she prepares for another, more dedicated assault.

Her brother, in the meantime, sets sail to seek aid from a foreign power.
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.