What is Passive RP? A must read for new RPers.

Started by Spades_Neil, 09-12-2011

Spades_Neil

I'll put it in a nutshell to the best of my ability. Spread this around!

Passive RP is anything BESIDES killing each other. It's roleplaying with objects and items that aren't necessarily there, but you're using your imagination to make things interesting. This is, really, the best and most interesting form of RP that's doable in a Gmod server. Trust me on it. Try it one day.

Examples:
You're out scavenging. You've got one buddy with you, but you've found no -real- items because admins haven't dropped any. Instead of complaining about how there's no items (not that anyone does these days, luckily), you instead roleplay with your buddy.
~~~~
"Not much luck today, is there?" mutters John to his friend Steve.
"Naw, all I've found is a smelly old boot. This is boring. Wanna go fishing instead?" asks Steve.
"Yea sure, that sounds like fun."
The duo arrives by the lake and sit down together upon the docks. They cast their lines out and begin idle small talk.
"So John, how's life been treating you?" questions Steve.
~~~~

And just let it go from there. You won't get any items, but roleplaying will become far more enjoyable than you ever may have known when you get into it. I've been RPing for half a decade now, so take my advice. The human condition and the psychology of well structured characters is far more interesting than gratuitous violence.

Hope this post helps out the newcommers to RP.

Oh and I often reward good roleplayers. A little incentive if you're still gonna be greedy bastards. <3

Storm_Shield

I'm back from the dead...

bohi

Someone should also make a guide on Solo-RP. A very fun thing if you know how to do it and ENJOY it.

assassin8909

Spades_Neil

Mind you guys our Steel Stadium event is probably going to be the most bloody and most shoot-em-up event we have for a while. If you died during the event, go NLR and say you were just there spectating. That way you can still use the event its self as conversation for your character.

Now that I've got your attention, we're going to start doing more passive RP events that will force you to think rather than shoot your way out. >: ) You guys will come to learn that passive RP, despite its name, is anything but passive.

When school ends for this semester in the next few weeks, I'll be spending some time during the day developing a different scenario for our next big event. Until then, I'm relying on lower-level admins and traders to keep you all occupied. If they're not around, take my advice in this thread and make your own fun! I promise you it'll be well worth it.