StickyWicket's guide to drugs in the Fallout Universe

Started by StickyWicket, 30-11-2011

StickyWicket

The technology in the Fallout universe is about 80 years more advanced then our current level of tech. But not everything made before the great war is some sort of miracle. Both medical and recreational drugs in this game can't do things like repelling bullets out of your damaged organs. Keep this in mind before you try to use "/me eats a medkit and 5 stimpaks." when someone unloads on you and expect to win. Think of all the events in FORP as if they were real scenarios, and not the actual based the game's mechanics. Drugs can be used as an excuse for powergaming if people are not educated, and that's why I plan on teaching people.

-Medical Items-

Stimpaks
The stimpak is a type of hand-held medication used for healing the body. This item consists of a syringe for containing and delivering the medication and a gauge for measuring the status of the stimpak's contents. When the medicine is injected, it will heal multiple parts of the body. But, in Fallout the actual contents of the stimpak have never been revealed. But, as the name implies, it might just be stems cells working along with painkillers and multiple chemicals to speed up the healing process. After the first minutes it is injected, it will instantly heal most of your boo-boos, such as scrapes, bruises, and first degree burns. Ten to fifteen minutes after injection, torn blood vessels will be clotted, third degree burns along with minor damage to the organs will be repaired. Using more then two stimpaks at a time will not speed up the healing process, and might even be dangerous for the body. It has no known side-effects.

RadAway
RadAway is a chemical solution taken through an IV that bonds with radiation particles and passes them through your system. It cannot be used to keep away radiation when entering radioactive areas like Rad-X, but instead is used after receiving radiation to rid yourself of it. It takes about three hours to work, and will also cause the user to urinate frequently. RadAway also has several adverse effects, most notably headaches, stomach pains, and hair loss. Using more then one package at a time will not speed up the process and will most likely make you addicted to it. The addiction will only cause you to be nauseous at times, and is certainly not hard to get rid of. About a week of vomiting yourself silly will be enough to kick the addiction.

Rad-X
Rad-X is an anti-radiation chem to be taken before exposure. Rad-X comes in a yellow and red pill form and is never to be injected. Unlike RadAway, it does not remove the effects of radiation after a person gets irradiated. It has no know side-effects and or addictive properties.

-Drugs-

Jet
Jet is a powerful metamphetamine that stimulates the central nervous system. The initial euphoric rush rarely lasts more than a few minutes, but during that time, the user is filled with a rush of energy & strength. It is extracted from brahmin dung fumes and administered via an inhaler. With out a shadow of a doubt, jet is the most addictive chemical ever synthesized by man. Addiction literary lasts the user's full life time, and is only cured using the antidote made all the way back in California. It's effects on the body are comparable to that of cocaine.

Buffout
Buffout is a highly advanced steroid that was popularized before the Great War by professional athletes and their clandestine use of the drug. It only comes in a green pill form and is never injected. The drug increases Strength and reflexes, with the disadvantage of being highly addictive.

Mentats
Mentats where created by Med-Tek before the great war. They were designed to increase memory related functions and speed up other mental processes. These chalky red pills were a popular party drug, widely appreciated for their effect on creativity. Mentats were sold in both cardboard and tin packagings, along with many appealing flavors like grape, orange, and berry. They are, of course, highly addictive.

Psycho
Psycho appears to be a form of injected drug composed of strange, unknown chemicals of military origin, that comes with its own unique delivery system. It was designed at the orders of General Constantine Chase and was supposed to increase the combat potential of a soldier, whilst dampening higher mental functions, making for fearless, but uncontrollable troops. In the wasteland, it is a highly addictive, PCP like drug.

Stealth Boy
The RobCo Stealth Boy 3001 is a personal stealth device worn on one's wrist. It generates a modulating field that transmits the reflected light from one side of an object to the other making the bearer almost invisible to the untrained eye. It is very rare in the wasteland. Repeated usage has been found to have unpleasant mental side-effects. It causes the user to suffer paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, and eventual schizophrenia. Obvious signs of stage one, paranoia include; fearing one's loved ones. This occurs after two to three uses. Stage two; delusions. This also, is one of the easiest stages to identify; sudden symptoms of being bi-polar also come into play. This happens after four to six uses. Stage three; schizophrenia. At this point, you would be completely insane, with little chance of ever going back.

Blake.H

Step Jaw Trading Co. Always has all your Jet needs

ref_DevCon.smd: david star is the only heir of the ecologist throne
ref_DevCon.smd: house of blake
"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"

Iam333

This guide is really useful for FORP (Bonus points for Fallout 1 icons.), but there are some things I think should improve:
- Add to Stealth-boy with bold letters: Not only mutants suffer from this.
- Add Super stimpack which is slighty different from standard and person can die if he take way too much of them at same time.
- Better description for effect of addiction, I wont lie. I have no idea how it is being addicted to cocaine, you should add some details (for example: You have big headache, problems with anger, etc.).

I hope I wasn't been too hard, but both thumbs up for actually doing this guide.

Madcombat

I like the guide apart from what I rtead on the Stim pack, see it might do what you state in the game but the effects in roleplay would have to be diffrent as Stim pack usage would just damn right blatently be avoiding any wounds.  I'd make the assumption that a Stim pack is much like morphine which would hopefully reduce the pain so one may be tended to.

lolKieck

Quote from: Madcombat on 01-12-2011
I like the guide apart from what I rtead on the Stim pack, see it might do what you state in the game but the effects in roleplay would have to be diffrent as Stim pack usage would just damn right blatently be avoiding any wounds.  I'd make the assumption that a Stim pack is much like morphine which would hopefully reduce the pain so one may be tended to.
Not only morphine, it would speed up the healing process but not REALLY quick.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Pepsigod

Quote from: lolKieck on 01-12-2011
Not only morphine, it would speed up the healing process but not REALLY quick.

Yeah, people seem to think you can pop a stim pack and just walk away, if you play F:NV on Hardcore you can see (while it's power is still over exaggerated) it takes a while to heal, it's not instant.

StickyWicket

Stimpaks aren't supposed to be the godly item like they where in Fallout 3/NV. People would PG the shit out of them. So, it heals minor damages to the body that requires less time then any doctor could.

Plunger

Or you know just play fallout 1,2 where first aid is a separate skill from doctor.  At pepsi.

Pepsigod

Quote from: Plunger on 01-12-2011
Or you know just play fallout 1,2 where first aid is a separate skill from doctor.  At pepsi.

Or you know were talking about stim packs in general, where stim packs as most people know are from fo3 and nv.
You have to realize not a lot of people here play f1 and 2, I have.

With that said, you have to let the people know that stim packs are just medicine, while bigger injuries need to be operated on, stim packs don't heal gaping holes in your chest.

StickyWicket

To be honest, I would not use game mechanics to compare how realistic an item is. If you play Fallout 1, and a deathclaw lowers you to 6 HP, you can just inject 8 stimpaks into your ass and you are perfectly fine. But I don't think that would work in RP.

Plunger

I wasn't talking about stimpacks but how for major things lIke broken bones you need a doctor. The problem with rping injuries realistically is that everyone on the server seems to think that when you're shot the best option is pulling the bullet out, and that broken bones just need to be in a splint for one day.

Paintcheck

To be fair to the player Plunger no one is going to want to RP having a broken leg for 3 months of real time. Splinting it for a day is fine. There are far better things to direct energy at other than "Oh this person got shot and isn't RPing the wound for 3 weeks"

Plunger

Quote from: Paintcheck on 01-12-2011
To be fair to the player Plunger no one is going to want to RP having a broken leg for 3 months of real time. Splinting it for a day is fine. There are far better things to direct energy at other than "Oh this person got shot and isn't RPing the wound for 3 weeks"
I didn't mean 3 months, just a week would be better from one day. It's just weird that people complain about no fear rp then treat their wounds like its a bollywood action film.

Mr. Pink

This is how I always generally treat them... I use them as a form of Morphine in order to save a person long enough to ge them to proper medical attention... I believe this is what they truly are...
I wish for a pinball machine full of Cannabis.

Madcombat

Quote from: Mr. Pink on 14-12-2011

This is how I always generally treat them... I use them as a form of Morphine in order to save a person long enough to ge them to proper medical attention... I believe this is what they truly are...

Its more smarter, its not like if you contract aids a stim pack will heal it.

The thing is, if a stim pack was to heal instantly you'd likely OD on the shit due to the amount of bullets entering you and the constent shots you take.