Solo RP: Roleplaying when your alone

Started by gunnerstrip7, 05-04-2012

gunnerstrip7

(This is just a little guide I figured I'd write for those of you on the server without anyone to RP with.)

What's the goal of this guide?:  Simple, to show you what you can do when your alone on the server instead of wandering aimlessly around like a lost puppy.

The Basics
Sooner or later  you'll find yourself alone in the wasteland, you don't want to leave, but there's no one around, so what do you do? Well, RP of course! "But what can I do, there's no one around!" Well simple, you find something that doesn't need another person. It may seem weird at first, but this is something you'll grow used too, and sooner or later will come to enjoy it.

Solo RP Types

Yes, there are types of solo RP! I'll list them off, and go into some detail, for now I'll just touch on them, and maybe later I'll add on to some.

ScavengingSo far it's the most popular, or just the most common, type of Solo RP. This is where you go around the map ICly scavenging for junk and otherwise so you have an IC reason for those caps you've got in your pocket right now. An example would be the following: "/me Picks up the old leather boot, and decides he could use it later to make some Leather Armor, then pockets it." That example brings me to my next solo RP type.

Weapon/Armor Crafting:  This is more advanced then the last type of RP, and you might need Authorization for a character that can craft a weapon or a piece of armor, as not everyone in the wasteland can do that. This is simply where, over time, you gather resources and build a weapon or piece of armor for yourself, it is usually met with allot of detail as a requirement, but you can usually get through without it. An example would be, "/me Takes his assortment of Leather and slowly pieces it together over his crafting bench, being careful as to not mess up."

Musical RP: This RP is rare in more popular servers, and usually requires you to have a link to the actual music handy. This is where your character uses an instrument to play out a song for his/her own enjoyment, or the enjoyment of those around them. A common thing to do is to link the music your playing ICly, OOCly, so people know exactly what it sounds like. Here's an example, "/me Takes out his guitar and begins to play 'Maybe' on it." This more then likely needs Authorization as it's not a common thing for a Wastelander to posses, let alone know how to play a guitar or any other type of instrument.

[Placeholder]: This is a reserved spot incase I get a suggestion or come up with a new type of solo RP that hasn't been put here.

Closing

For now that's all there is to it. If you have suggestions for the RP types, or even an entirely new part of the guide, say so. I'm also open to criticism, as this is the first guide I've done in awhile and I may or may not be rusty.

jaik

The idea of this thread is good, but two things caught my eye.

Quote from: gunnerstrip7 on 05-04-2012
An example would be, "/me Takes his assortment of Leather and slowly pieces it together over his crafting bench, being careful as to not mess up."

This is a poor example of crafting RP and it should take a longer while to create a full armor piece from junk. One /me isn't going to cut it.

Here's an example, "/me Takes out his guitar and begins to play 'Maybe' on it."

Again; not really a good /me to describe playing a musical instrument as this usually requires more detail. Your character must learn how to play it as well, unless their backstory states otherwise.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Midgetonic

Just a question, but Jake do you even play on teh servers anymore?

gunnerstrip7

Quote from: Jake on 06-04-2012

An example would be, "/me Takes his assortment of Leather and slowly pieces it together over his crafting bench, being careful as to not mess up."

This is a poor example of crafting RP and it should take a longer while to create a full armor piece from junk. One /me isn't going to cut it.

Again; not really a good /me to describe playing a musical instrument as this usually requires more detail. Your character must learn how to play it as well, unless their backstory states otherwise.

The crafting RP example was an EXAMPLE only. I could go on for who knows how long with many /me's on crafting, but again, this was only an example. Same goes with the guitar thing, it's an example, I could easily make it extremely detailed, but I only needed to get the point across with the /me's.

jaik

Quote from: gunnerstrip7 on 06-04-2012

The crafting RP example was an EXAMPLE only. I could go on for who knows how long with many /me's on crafting, but again, this was only an example. Same goes with the guitar thing, it's an example, I could easily make it extremely detailed, but I only needed to get the point across with the /me's.

By making them the way you did, means that you wish other people would follow the examples you put here and they are hardly above average by my standards.

nKe

-B*tchingg about /me's-

Jake.. /me Shoots guy in backhead.. cough cough.

But seriously, I think those were just short examples.

gunnerstrip7

They are just short examples,  however I might or might not edit them later, at the moment I won't.

jaik

Quote from: Nik3 on 06-04-2012
-B*tchingg about /me's-

get back into my basement and code me some java hax

nKe

Quote from: Nik3 on 06-04-2012
-B*tchingg about /me's-

get back into my basement and code me some java hax

Got lost while trying to find the neighborhood where DA lives.

---
I would really like to see people RPing while they are scavenging etc.
it's really fucking annoying to notice that the item you just found got lollooted by some idiot while you are writing a /me.

Zen

Hey Nik, hows the glue down there?

nKe

Quote from: Zen on 06-04-2012
Hey Nik, hows the glue down there?
Oh shiet its you