[Race Proposal] The Graveborne

Started by Ragolution, 21-11-2011

Ragolution

During the Age of Insanity, and seeing the coming failure of his Orcish Horde, the Demon Lord Bal'thorian sought the darker arts to refine and bolster his army. Seeing the coming deaths of his enemies and the Orcish pawns alike, he employed the Necromantic arts with unparalleled ease. Skeletons and zombies walked alongside the Demon Blooded brutes but soon their own incompetency and uselessness became evident. Skeletons deteriorated outside of the presence of a trained master of the black arts and zombies merely shambled along mindlessly unless set at the bit and enticed with a taste of blood.

It was at this time that Bal'thorian's Necromantic Consuls sought to create a horror of greater usage.

The Consuls bound flesh and bone and soul together, forming some amalgamation of Life and Death- a fusion of the Living and the Damned. What they created was the Graveborne. Monstrosities ripped forth from the reaper's clutches and set onto the battlefield. The Necromages had done their work well, imprisoning a soul in a body that would never decompose, but these half-living were more aware of themselves than they had expected.

Thousands of these creatures were created, taught to use blades, and set in cages but by the time they were released to the mortal plane, the war was over and they had no further purpose. The tunnel sealed as these horrors were exhumed from death and the necromancers went with it.

The Graveborne, knowing nothing and having no guidance, soon adopted the mannerisms of the beings they had been before, but felt a crave for flesh.

These walking, albeit peaceful, dead knew nothing but shadows of their past, and the death they had escaped and now sought a more peaceful life amongst nature.

The sentient races of the realm were reviled on discovery, stricken with horror as half-human, half-dwarf and half-orc beasts with pale flesh and no pulse marched towards them with the overwhelming stench of embalming ichors. These Graveborne seemed sentient, but many were obviously and hideously deformed unless crafted from a once-fresh corpse.

The Graveborne were left to their own devices and they soon discovered many things about their new selves:

They could not feel anything.
They could not eat.
They could not reproduce.
They could not bleed.
They could not die. (Unless pulverized or exorcised.)

Many Graveborne cast themselves from cliffs only to be forever trapped in their crippled form. Others fell to the ground and began weeping. Some others decided to try something else- to try being alive. To, maybe, one day be again accepted by the humanity (or orc-manity?) they left behind.

Of the Gravebourne there were two strikingly different castes.

The Bound

Those who had been incarnated with the muscle mass of their past had no affinity to magic. Their muscles forever remained, as the Consuls wrought, but the loss of certain blood magicks was painful for Orcish once-dead who did not even remember the root of their pain.. These Gravebourne had been gifted with a layer of fat above their muscle to protect their bodies even further. It was said that a musclebound Graveborne could carry 5 times his own weight. (Bullshit.) This combined with an innate resistance to magick, it seemed the two castes were each other's greatest enemy.

The Robbed

The other, smaller caste had been stripped of all excess muscle, leaving them only enough to wear a single robe, carry a single wooden staff and traverse normal terrain. These strenght-robbed rarities had an uncanny knack for magick, unlike the rest of the gravebourne. Those who made up this caste were drastically more prone to be affected by harmful as well as helpful magicks and as such were the only who could ever be "Healed" by magic.

This archetyping causes the Gravebourne to travel in duos more than anything, each one filling out the other's absent role and the musclebound sometimes carrying his Robbed ally over mountains or perilous terrain. It is a symbiotic relationship, but also a tenuous one as both castes of these undead have contrasting personalities.

The robbed seem to deal with life cautiously and patiently while the bound seem to embrace life with a ferocity they lacked in life. The Robbed seem to view this new life as a punishment they have earned but also a way to accrue what they lost (knowledge), while The Bound see it as a second chance to live life like they never did and take all the chances they never could have.

Shrug. Up to you.
I just liked the backstory and I'd personally play as one.

KingArthur

So sentient undead basically?  Dosn't seem that bad but
They could not feel anything. - Then how did they cry?
They could not use magic. - k
They could not eat.- k
They could not reproduce.- k
They could not bleed.- k
They could not die. (Unless pulverized or exorcised.) -Sounds a little bit of power gaming but then again being cut in half has its problems.

Ragolution

Quote from: KingArthur on 21-11-2011
So sentient undead basically?  Dosn't seem that bad but
They could not feel anything. - Then how did they cry?
They could not use magic. - k
They could not eat.- k
They could not reproduce.- k
They could not bleed.- k
They could not die. (Unless pulverized or exorcised.) -Sounds a little bit of power gaming but then again being cut in half has its problems.

@Crying - I meant more sensory things like feel touch taste not emotions.
They still have fear, sorrow, but not so much happiness.

I kind of consider it a trade-off. Being undead has all sorts of reprecussions.

You cannot die, so you will live forever.
You don't feel pain, but if you are maimed you will never heal. Not even by magic.
You cannot feel anything.
Your muscles will never decay, but you cannot use magic or gain muscle.
You cannot eat, if you try you will get sick.

Changed the OP to allow a little more breathing room.

KingArthur

I have no problem with this, besides the fact of lack of content perhaps to support it. Although, I have no problem with it, might want to ask other admins however. I do not want to make a decision alone.

Ragolution

I have no problem with this, besides the fact of lack of content perhaps to support it. Although, I have no problem with it, might want to ask other admins however. I do not want to make a decision alone.

I have no problem with waiting though I do appreciate your seal of approval.
Any improvements you might suggest?

KingArthur

Quote from: Ragolution on 21-11-2011
besides needing a model for it? naw

Ragolution

Quote from: Ragolution on 21-11-2011
besides needing a model for it? naw

Unless you were basically the first one made, you'd be essentially human but pale and gaunt. I'd probably be able to fuck with a few skeletons and be happy with my results.

Cutch

This seems fine. Your cons counter the pros so its pretty equal. Await Paintcheck/Rov's seal of approval.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Steven :D

This has my seal of approval too.

Paintcheck

I also don't like the "can't die unless completely destroyed" part. I feel like them being beheaded or cleaved or immolated should "kill" them as dead as it would a living creature.

Everything else looks fine although I would like some more specifics on the magic users to keep them balanced (in terms of spells available and power of them etc).

Corocan

I'm trying to get in my head what this would look like, and I keep coming back to the stalkers in hl2... Is that an accurate depiction?

Silver Knight

The background needs abit more tweaking to be acceptable. Demon Lord Bal'thorian would not have had time to take onboard a new strategy. However one of the lesser demon lords\Dreadlords who was aiding him may have done this at the time.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Lent23

http://www.wowwiki.com/Forsaken
Kind of reminds me of these guys, which I completely love. A guy has control of a bunch of undead, then the undead break off/become aware, and start doing their own thing, siding with living people.
"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?"
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."
"He's always gone! I never get to see him!"

Ragolution

Quote from: Paintcheck on 21-11-2011
I also don't like the "can't die unless completely destroyed" part. I feel like them being beheaded or cleaved or immolated should "kill" them as dead as it would a living creature.

Everything else looks fine although I would like some more specifics on the magic users to keep them balanced (in terms of spells available and power of them etc).

If they get beheaded, they're alive but they're just a head.

Quote from: Lent23 on 22-11-2011
http://www.wowwiki.com/Forsaken
Kind of reminds me of these guys, which I completely love. A guy has control of a bunch of undead, then the undead break off/become aware, and start doing their own thing, siding with living people.

I really don't like the forsaken (anymore). Blizzard has deformed them too far from humanity

Quote from: Last.Exile on 22-11-2011
The background needs abit more tweaking to be acceptable. Demon Lord Bal'thorian would not have had time to take onboard a new strategy. However one of the lesser demon lords\Dreadlords who was aiding him may have done this at the time.

Will do.

Quote from: Corocan on 22-11-2011
I'm trying to get in my head what this would look like, and I keep coming back to the stalkers in hl2... Is that an accurate depiction?

Uhm.

Other than the whole "NO FEET" and the whole "WEIRD EYES NO HANDS" things. Yeah the Robbed would essentially look like that except they would have penises and wear clothes.

KingArthur

Quote from: Ragolution on 22-11-2011
Other than the whole "NO FEET" and the whole "WEIRD EYES NO HANDS" things. Yeah the Robbed would essentially look like that except they would have penises and wear clothes.

I'll tell you what. Make one as a test char, see how it goes and is RP'd. If it works well, good then we move from their. Make the char, but you can not have a penis.
EDIT: Only you at this point have "MY" Auth, Unless some one voids it or says they dont want it, Just RP with the char as you see fit. (please dont make me regret this)

Ravanger

Yeah i'll approve you Cutch to see how this works out I want to see how it will all work etc in-game.

Ragolution

Quote from: KingArthur on 22-11-2011
Quote from: Ragolution on 22-11-2011

I'll tell you what. Make one as a test char, see how it goes and is RP'd. If it works well, good then we move from their. Make the char, but you can not have a penis.
EDIT: Only you at this point have "MY" Auth, Unless some one voids it or says they dont want it, Just RP with the char as you see fit. (please dont make me regret this)

Problem is they travel in duos so I need to find someone else who's willing to be my Bound companion. Too bad Turkey's banned.

Madcombat

Hmm, I like this idea.  Might try take advantage of this race.

Lent23

Quote from: Madcombat on 23-11-2011
* Lent23 mumbles something about Madcombat
"Here, Alex.. Daddy sent us a package.. The soldier told us that it.. might be a while until Daddy's done with his service. Don't worry, you'll see him soon, Alex.."

Madcombat

Quote from: Lent23 on 23-11-2011

**Looks at Lent with his mad eyes.**
Whats that boy?

Lent23

Whats that boy?
Oh nothing, master

Corocan

Whats that boy?
Oh nothing, master

Ravanger

Haveing thought about it a bit more consdiering it is a soul forced into a husk of a body could perhaps one be a soul of someone like a king or something of that matter not trying to get to far into this but I am quite curious of more story to this. I already approved this as well so whenever you feel I can help you setup your char.

Gonztah

I imagine that The Graveborne look a bit like Draugr from Skyrim.

Madcombat

That is my image of them too, and I like that Image.  If anything I believe this race can be greatly used for those undead events I do.