Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - avaliable memory less than 15mb

Started by Silver Knight, 31-07-2011

Silver Knight

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines Patches

Quick note this is a fix for the 15mb engine error in bloodlines.

QuoteAs one of the first games developed with Valve's Source engine, Bloodlines inherits some early bugs which are fixed in later iterations of Half-Life 2 and other titles.  One particular annoyance is that it will crash displaying an error message about having less than 15Mb free memory when run on 64-bit versions of Windows with over 2Gb RAM installed.

I can't make the patched engine.dll available for download as it is copyrighted software.  But if you don't want to get your hands dirty with a hex editor you can now patch your game with these programs.
Installer While revisiting these documents I found that I couldn't even reinstall the game because the MSI file uses a crude (and, indeed, incorrect) method to verify that the OS is supported.  Following the instructions at PlanetAMD64 I was able to create a patcher that will correct the MSI.

If your game refuses to install, copy the contents of ALL the CDs to a directory somewhere, overwriting any files that exist on multiple CDs.  Then run bloodlines64-install in that directory to fix your installer.  Finally run setup.exe to complete the install.

v1.0 bloodlines64-1.0 will patch the 1.0 version of engine.dll for you.  It checks that the file is of the correct size before proceeding, so it won't break your game if you have applied the official patch.

v1.2 bloodlines64-1.2 will patch the 1.2 version of engine.dll for you.  It checks that the file is of the correct size before proceeding, so it won't break your game if you haven't applied the official patch.
To apply the patch, launch the program and click [...] to open a file browser which you should point to the location of engine.dll.  The patcher will then take a backup and edit the file.
If the program reports that the original file is the wrong size or doesn't contain the correct byte sequence then you either didn't apply the 1.2 patch to the game or something else has gone wrong.  Your best bet is to reinstall the game and apply the patch in this case, as engine.dll changes with each version and even if you did obtain a fixed DLL it would probably not work.

I uncovered this with abit of research. All credit goes to https://iain.cx/articles/bloodlines/

Incase the link ever dies. I have rehosted it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5UR1PV9T

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period