Idea: Renown

Started by Pink!, 31-01-2012

Pink!

Alright, folks. If you ever played a popular RP named Prologue, you'll know what this is. If you don't...

Renown is/was a system that was a replacement for experience. Rather than marking a characters strength and abilities, however, it marked something far more important: how well-known, and vital, they were to the server.  A character with ten renown points was about as well-known as the average hero or villager, but one with six hundred was a vital asset who had proven themselves, constantly, and was regarded as a minor hero. One with two thousand, five hundred - the maximum possible, and a feat achieved by only two people - was considered legendary, on par with the greatest heroes.

Basically, it rewarded quality roleplayers, those who moved forward plotlines, and those who created enjoyable roleplay, and it was awarded rather simply. For every couple of hours spent on server, players received Renown tokens; these could be spent to give -another- character Renown. So, as an example, let's say that John spends some time roleplaying with Amy, talking about his dead family. Amy finds the roleplay/story interesting, and gives him two renown.

Aside from receiving it from players, renown could also be given by administrators for taking part in epic roleplay; killing a great villain, or hosting a festival, or some kind of pilgrimage. Running events would result in renown rewards, as well. Admins would also hand it out, as they saw fit.

My suggestion? Let's see if we can get something similar in Crussaria, even if it's handled in a thread, outside the server I don't have a specific system for it, but surely it's not too complicated to code a simple counter/currency system?

For various reasons, I'm not at HGN much any more.
I'll see you all around, though, some time...

jaik

What's the use of this system?
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Zstan

I didn't even read your post and I don't have to.

Renown is fucking stupid.

No.

Paintcheck

Why does it need to be a hard coded thing? Seems to me that if you have some epic character then people in server will know you based on reputation ICly. Why do you need a number to go with it?

I like the idea since it will prevent morons from joining the server and going "I am king of everyone fear me!" but it seems to me like reputation already exists among the server regulars. What would having it coded do?

Vortigoat

It would cause retards such as myself to get friends to give me renown points so i look cuul  8)

Ragolution

Quote from: Zstan on 31-01-2012
I didn't even read your post and I don't have to.

Renown is fucking stupid.

No.

KingArthur

Its not a -bad- idea. But again, people already know and understand who the big players are without a system for it. You can easily make a name for yourselves by getting to know the right people.

Madcombat

Quote from: KingArthur on 31-01-2012
Its not a -bad- idea. But again, people already know and understand who the big players are without a system for it. You can easily make a name for yourselves by getting to know the right people.

Or doing fuck evil deed like me.  (Burning down temples and kidnapping people out in the open street while everyone stares in horrah.)

Pink!

Quote from: Paintcheck on 31-01-2012
Why does it need to be a hard coded thing? Seems to me that if you have some epic character then people in server will know you based on reputation ICly. Why do you need a number to go with it?

I like the idea since it will prevent morons from joining the server and going "I am king of everyone fear me!" but it seems to me like reputation already exists among the server regulars. What would having it coded do?

IC reputation might go with it, to an extent, but what it also is, is a reward for good, decent roleplay. Players reward each other for doing what they seem 'epic'.

Simply a number, and it goes back to simple psychology. If there's a reward for doing something, people will do it more.

Plunger

We tried this already, it was awful.

Pink!

Really? Oh. Crap.

Plunger

Yeah on srp, it was one of the most corrupt systems made.

Pink!

Mind if I ask how/why? Admins handing it out inappropriately?

jaik

Quote from: Pink! on 01-02-2012
Mind if I ask how/why? Admins handing it out inappropriately?

Because it's HGN, isn't that obvious enough?
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Ragolution

"HEY TARD 1, I GOT A REKNOWN."

"OMG ME TOO"

"LETS REKNOWN EACHOTHER"

Rinse.
Repeat.

Pink!

If people do that, you strip them of all the renown they've ever earned.

derp.

Alternately, only admins hand it out?

Ragolution

Quote from: Pink! on 01-02-2012
If people do that, you strip them of all the renown they've ever earned.

derp.

Alternately, only admins hand it out?

Then admin favouritism rears its ugly head. (And don't say "APPOINT UNBIASED PEOPLE OMG" because that doesn't happen, ever.)

Paintcheck

Quote from: Ragolution on 01-02-2012

Then admin favouritism rears its ugly head. (And don't say "APPOINT UNBIASED PEOPLE OMG" because that doesn't happen, ever.)

That. Even if it is not on purpose different admins have different standards. Some hand out shit like candy and others (like me) require someone to complete the trials of Hercules before I even consider giving them anything. There is no easy way to unify those views since the open-endedness of freeform RP makes criteria very fluid for what constitutes "epic".