Power supply?

Started by Predu, 28-02-2011

Predu

If any of you chaps are good at assembling proper computers, I could use a hand.
I've chosen a list of parts which I have planned to order, however I am wondering if I need a power supply for it, and if so, how powerful?

*Fractal Design - Define XL Black Pearl ATX-case, black.

*Asus - M4A79T Deluxe, AMD790FX, DDR3, SATA II, CrossFireX, ATX (motherboard).

*LG - DVD+/-RW DL 22x, SATA, Black Bulk (DVD+-RW, because the case doesn't have one).

*Western Digital - 1TB Caviar Blue, SATA II, 7200RPM, 32 (hard drive).

*Apacer - 4GB, DDR3 1333MHz, CL9 (memory(2x)),
or
*Apacer - 2x4GB, DDR3 1600MHz, CL9 (memory).

*Asus - AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5, 2xDVI/HDMI/2xMiniDP (video card).

*AMD - Athlon II X4 640, AM3, 3.0GHz, 2MB, 95W (CPU).

That comes to a total of 868.90€ or 950.90€, which I'm both fine with.

The case does not have a power supply and neither do I have much knowledge of how powerful power supply I would need. So help me out, will ya'?

Also, if you think there is something wrong with the parts, or there are better options, or that they don't match or fit, comment. But I've checked them for my part, but I'm not an expert.

Predu

I tested "my" system on a site and got a result, so I thought of getting this one:

*Silverstone - 500W Strider Plus, ATX 2.3 -powersupply, modularic, 80Plus Bronze

What the retail store tells me, is that it's reliable, and that is what I want in a powersupply most of all.

nKe

Kandes ehkä hankkii vähäsen tehokkaampi ku 500W, mutta voi olla (ja luultavasti onkin) et toi testi on ottanu vähä lisäkulutus varaa tolle VL:lle.

http://www.verkkokauppa24.com/cooler-master-pcvirtalahde-silent-pro-m500-500w-p-24770.html
Tai sitte corsairin aktivijäähytyksel oleva... Ite suosittelisin siulle tota;
http://fin.afterdawn.com/vertailu/tuote.cfm/6367/corsair_vx550w,_550w_atx

Paintcheck

500 watts is too small. Yes it might run at the bare minimum but bare minimum isn't a good thing to shoot for, especially if down the road you want to Crossfire the cards. I would go for 750 watt + myself. I had a Zalman 850 watt PSU in my PC and it worked great, replaced the pos one that came with my case and burned out.

Don't cheap out on a PSU. Someone in HGN (I want to say it was Ping Pong) went through like 3 PSUs because he kept buying cheap shitty runs and they kept frying under heavy loads. If you are going to game (and you are from the looks of the parts) then get a good power supply.

4gb of RAM is a bit on the low side these days. It's enough to run most things but RAM can usually be hard for pretty cheap so if you can splurge, stock up.

I would go for the AMD Phenom II six core processor over the 4 core one you have, especially because it seems the 4 core one you're looking at is discontinued. They can be had for $200ish and deliver amazing performance (PC gamer put one up against the i7 Extreme Edition and yes it lost but not by an amount you'd be able to notice and was $800 cheaper).

Good choice with the Asus mobos, all my builds have used those.

Predu

Yeah, you are right about X6 in case I will further upgrade my computer at later occasion to match the requirements.

And thanks to both of you for the powersupply tips.'

Edit: Christ, I'll need a better motherboard for a X6 as well, the price keeps on getting bigger.

Edit: What do you mean with the 4GB of RAM? There are two of those 4GB 1333MHz, or do you mean I should get ones with even more RAM?

Edit: New list:

*LG - DVD+/-RW DL 22x, SATA, Black Bulk

*Samsung - 1TB SpinPoint F3 3.5", SATAII, 32MB, 7200RPM

*LC-Power - 850W, LC8850 V2.2 Arkangel Free Plug

*Fractal Design - Define XL Black Pearl ATX-case, Black

*Asus - M4A89TD PRO/USB3, AM3. 890FX, USB 3.0, SATA III, ATX

*Apacer - 2x4GB, DDR3 1333MHz, CL9

*Asus - AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5, 2xDVI/HDMI/2xMiniDP

*AMD - Phenom II X4 840, AM3, 3,2GHz, 2MB, 95W

I'll stick with quad processor. Is it any good now?

nKe

+ Water cooling.

Paintcheck

Water cooling is going to balloon the cost even further and unless you're planning for a 50% OC or higher air will do fine. I ran my E6750 on air and had a stable 25% OC without even trying.

nKe

Quote from: Paintcheck on 28-02-2011
Water cooling is going to balloon the cost even further and unless you're planning for a 50% OC or higher air will do fine. I ran my E6750 on air and had a stable 25% OC without even trying.

I just love how quiet water cooling is :3

Paintcheck

That is true. My computer at home sounded like a jet engine next to my right ear. But it ran nice and cool at 20% OC.

Ralazo

I bought the Corsair H50 water cooler for the CPU, works perfect.
My CPU is at 51 degrees when at 100%.
I have the AMD Phenom II X4 955

deluxulous

Quote from: Paintcheck on 28-02-2011
4gb of RAM is a bit on the low side these days. It's enough to run most things but RAM can usually be hard for pretty cheap so if you can splurge, stock up. .

I only have 2GB. (like a boss)

Khorn

As said, don't ever cheap out on the power supply.

And I would say go with 750. I recently got a swap from a Cooler Master 600 to a Cooler Master 700.

I had to upgrade due to a new graphics card.

I actually have a few fans for my computer, sounds like a low hum, but it keeps everything cool.

Predu

Well, the computer has arrived, assembled and it works fine. It's a beast. But hah, I went for full-tower casing so lmao, it's massive.

Edit: Oh god, need to install everything all over again. I won't be on for a little while.

Paintcheck

Yes but full tower tends to be better for heat management so that was actually a good choice.