Intel mark the end of separate CPU

Started by Silver Knight, 27-11-2012

Silver Knight

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/i...cs-go-with-it/

The next but one CPU from Intel will come out soldered to the motherboard along with all future Intel consumer CPU's. This will kill upgrades, kill your ability to mix and match motherboard to CPU. It will make life for company's like Novatech very tricky. Desktop and Laptop motherboards will come with the CPU pre-fitted. Computers take one more step towards become appliances like a toaster. What with the on coming tsunami of tables and handheld devices the enthusiast PC looks to be more and more marginalised. Within 5 years the true enthusiast will be left playing with server/workstation grade kit with all of the costs. Given the current trends even they may be gone before too long. With an entire industry along with it as computer come sealed un-upgradeable. Please read the linked web page for the source info.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

jaik

I thought Intel was planning on disbanding? At least that's what I read on FP.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Paintcheck

AMD might become relevant again.

I'd be extremely surprised if Intel was going to disband as they are still the market leader in CPUs. What would disbanding accomplish for them?

Ragolution

No sources.

Totally reliable.

0/10 didn't believe

meetdadoom

Quote from: Paintcheck on 27-11-2012

I'd be extremely surprised if Intel was going to disband as they are still the market leader in CPUs. What would disbanding accomplish for them?
This, however AMD  although cheap, isn't that great compared to Intel. Still, if Intel wants to do this, I would let them just so more CPU producers could arise, making more competition thus meaning companies constantly trying to one up each other thus meaning we actually end up getting better products.

tl;dr, Intel sits at the throne for best cpus and if toppled will allow other companies to compete for the throne and by the capitalist idealogy, we'll end up with better products.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

Ragolution

Quote from: meetdadoom on 27-11-2012

This, however AMD  although cheap, isn't that great compared to Intel. Still, if Intel wants to do this, I would let them just so more CPU producers could arise, making more competition thus meaning companies constantly trying to one up each other thus meaning we actually end up getting better products.

tl;dr, Intel sits at the throne for best cpus and if toppled will allow other companies to compete for the throne and by the capitalist idealogy, we'll end up with better products.

Except consumers are dumb and will just buy them without a second thought.

Paintcheck

Intel isn't being "toppled", their onboard chips will probably still be great performers.

The CPU market has high barriers to entry; you're not going to see increased competition with this. It's either going to be AMD becomes the new gaming processor or people just buy Intel boards with the processor soldered on and build systems based on that. Or gaming PCs turn into consoles and the homebuilt system is no more. As unfortunate as that is, the money is in idiot-proof, dumbass-friendly machines and that's why Intel is doing this. The average computer owner knows nothing about the parts in his/her/its machine; the vast majority don't know that processors are even swappable. It may not hurt the enthusiast market that much, people will just buy new motherboards instead of CPUs and motherboards separately.

EDIT: Ragolution ninja'd me.

Ragolution

Intel isn't being "toppled", their onboard chips will probably still be great performers.

The CPU market has high barriers to entry; you're not going to see increased competition with this. It's either going to be AMD becomes the new gaming processor or people just buy Intel boards with the processor soldered on and build systems based on that. Or gaming PCs turn into consoles and the homebuilt system is no more. As unfortunate as that is, the money is in idiot-proof, dumbass-friendly machines and that's why Intel is doing this. The average computer owner knows nothing about the parts in his/her/its machine; the vast majority don't know that processors are even swappable. It may not hurt the enthusiast market that much, people will just buy new motherboards instead of CPUs and motherboards separately.

EDIT: Ragolution ninja'd me.

And I did it in 20 less sentences too, Paint.

But you make a good point.

I still think now that Motherboards have lost 20% of their customization, the entry barrier goes even higher for building your own computer, as well as limits your choices. Unless companies decide to unify MOBO IO we're going to see some shit with this.

Steven :D

Silver Knight

Quote from: Jake on 27-11-2012

Intel are not disbanding, they are at the top of their game. The only real competition they have is AMD and amd failed with their latest processor line because it simply could not compete due to intels processors being better overall.

Intel - Less cores but more threads which make up virtual cores.
Amd - More cores but less threads.

Software\Games don't use more than 4 cores yet in their programming thus intel's processor is more successful.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

jaik

Quote from: SilverKnight on 28-11-2012
Quote from: Jake on 27-11-2012

Intel are not disbanding, they are at the top of their game. The only real competition they have is AMD and amd failed with their latest processor line because it simply could not compete due to intels processors being better overall.

Intel - Less cores but more threads which make up virtual cores.
Amd - More cores but less threads.

Software\Games don't use more than 4 cores yet in their programming thus intel's processor is more successful.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1228652

On another hand it does look bullshit, but I never really paid much attention to that thread anyways.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Paintcheck

It's not bullshit. Intel hasn't confirmed it but there is no reason to think this isn't true. Intel will lose nothing and will potentially gain a monopoly in the motherboard market at the expense of the gaming market which is far smaller than the idiot market.

The question is will the motherboard options Intel offers have differing levels of performance for enthusiasts, or will we all be stuck with shitty mobos with as few PCI and RAM slots as possible and all the other things that come with idiot-proof designs.

Ragolution

Quote from: Paintcheck on 28-11-2012
the gaming market which is far smaller than the idiot market.

Quote from: Paintcheck on 28-11-2012
Will we all be stuck with shitty mobos with as few PCI and RAM slots as possible and all the other things that come with idiot-proof designs?

Answering your own questions?
In 2012 no less?

Paintcheck

I'm kind of an idiot. GG Rag.

Ragolution

Quote from: Ragolution on 28-11-2012
Answering your own questions?
In 2012 no less?

Come on paint, are you even trying?