Going for a Budget Build

Started by Solidus, 10-12-2010

Solidus

Mind helping me out with picking the right parts for an AMD build under $750? I'd appreciate it.
Things I focus on: GPU (Currently have a nVidia GeForce GT 240M)
CPU (Currently have Intel Core i7-720QM @ 2.8GHz)
Monitor Included (1920x1080 Resolution)

Things that don't need to be top-notch:
Case
PSU (Although Corsairs are nice)
Etc.
Would anything for this price be possibly better than my current PC?

Thanks.

Cutch

iBUYPOWER has nice custom rigs for a good price. I got mine for around 600 I think and my specs are:

CPU:Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: GTX250
Case: NZXT
Cooler: Dunno

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Paintcheck

Do not cheap out on the power supply or you'll end up like Ping Pong who has fried a mobo and 2 PSUs because he kept buying shit ones (or maybe it was someone else...this happened to someone I know).

The i7 you already have is going to be hard to beat with an AMD chip, I think even the i7-720s beat anything AMD currently has, but could be wrong. That can easily be solved with some googling.

ATI's 5-series GPUs are amazing and cheap, think the top end is the 5670 right now but could be wrong. Even the slowest 5 series card puts much of Nvidia's older stuff to shame.

ASUS mobos rock, can't go wrong with them

And buy everything from Newegg.com

jaik

Quote from: Paintcheck on 10-12-2010
And buy everything from Newegg.com

Only if you're in US or Canada, btw.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Solidus

Ah. But unfortunately, I game on a year-old Alienware M15x, so only the RAM is upgradeable. I don't want to be stuck with this shit.
I was selling my PS3 and older laptop @ $300 each, totaling $600. If I were to sell this Alienware as well, I could reach around $1400 for a build. I'm just looking at prices for a $600-$700 build, as I haven't received an offer yet.

As for the PSUs, yeah. If they go shit, I know that the system will go down with it. I might invest in a Corsair.

Paintcheck

I'm now confused. You HAVE those parts listed in your first post already or you are thinking about BUYING those parts?

If you want to build on a budget, don't get an i7. Get one of AMD's 6 core processors, those are cheaper and not much worse in benchmarks, although the i7 is the superior processor if you can afford it.
ASUS mobo with the right socket will be like $150ish possibly less
4GB of RAM is like $100
Radeon 5670 is like $100
HDDs are cheap, as are CD/DVD drives
Case is like $150-$200 and good PSU about the same

Will be more than $700 but will be better. ibuypower.com has some good prebuilts for super cheap but honestly that wouldn't be a huge step up from the Alienware you already have so you really should either keep the Alienware or go bigger on price.

And I have a Zalman in my (now broken due to mobo failue) build and that is a beast power supply that wasn't that expensive