Gaming Laptops

Started by deluxulous, 26-01-2011

deluxulous

I'm currently looking for a laptop. I would PREFER a laptop designed for gaming, because my current desktop computer is falling behind in hardware terms, and I don't want to buy new parts for it because it's not to the point where it's totally shitty. Basically, I want to replace my desktop with a better laptop. And I would like to have one for school and stuff - all the pros of having a laptop basically.

However, price may or may not be an issue. My birthday is coming up in a few months, so I might just get one for my birthday. If any of you can suggest a good laptop for my needs, please do.
I've been looking at this one (Official Page) but it's quite pricey. (However, comparatively, my current desktop cost ~$1,400 when we got it.) I'd like a really good laptop right now, because I know it will last me a loooooong time. (My desktop was bought originally around 2008.)
Again, if any of you could suggest a good laptop that would be fantastic.

Also, general laptop thread.

(fixed official link)

Silver Knight

Asus gaming laptops are pretty beastly but to get ahold of a good laptop gaming rig be prepared to pay alot of money. You would be better off getting a new rig instead, you would get more for your money. I have a gaming laptop and one of the keys is broke. Sadly being a laptop its not a easy fix.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Paintcheck

A new rig would be cheaper and better in every way. Unless there is a reason you want a laptop (ie lack of space, you plan to go to school with it, etc) don't get one for gaming. It will cost a fortune, weigh 4 tons, and get 30 minutes of battery life. It's not worth it. Stick with a desktop unless there is a reason you cannot get a new one. And if there is a reason, then don't get a gaming laptop because they tend to get very hot, be very heavy, have poor battery life, are expensive, and physically are very large. Not a good combination unless you intend to leave it plugged in on your desk all day. And if you're going to do that you might as well get a desktop.

If you need a laptop for school or something like that and would like to play games with it, the Dell Studio XPS series is cheap and decent (it's what I have). Don't expect to be maxing Crysis on it anytime soon but it is sufficiently powerful to run most games at medium-high settings, gets 5+ hours of battery life (with the extended batter) and doesn't weigh 15 pounds. And it is only around $1300ish.

A good laptop will not last you a very long time at all. I bought my Dell in December 2009 and got my hands on it in January 2010. In the month it took for Dell to ship it to me it was already obsolete (has a core 2 duo and now everyone has i5s or i7s, has an ATI 4670, most things have AT 5 series or faster Nvidia cards, etc, and when I bought it this was top of the line for the price range). You can put together a good ATI based machine for easily under $1000 and it would last as long, if not longer and not be so impractical.

ATI 5 series GPUs are dirt cheap and blazing fast, ATI's Phenom 6 core processors are no i7 extreme edition but they are more than fast enough (PC Gamer put them head to head and the Phenom lost but only barely and unless you want to run 8 copies of GTA 4 and Crysis simultaneously you won't notice the difference, especially when the Phenom is 1/4th the cost of the i7). Get some RAM and a mobo and you're good to go.

deluxulous

Quote from: Paintcheck on 26-01-2011
A new rig would be cheaper and better in every way. Unless there is a reason you want a laptop (ie lack of space, you plan to go to school with it, etc) don't get one for gaming. It will cost a fortune, weigh 4 tons, and get 30 minutes of battery life. It's not worth it. Stick with a desktop unless there is a reason you cannot get a new one. And if there is a reason, then don't get a gaming laptop because they tend to get very hot, be very heavy, have poor battery life, are expensive, and physically are very large. Not a good combination unless you intend to leave it plugged in on your desk all day. And if you're going to do that you might as well get a desktop.

If you need a laptop for school or something like that and would like to play games with it, the Dell Studio XPS series is cheap and decent (it's what I have). Don't expect to be maxing Crysis on it anytime soon but it is sufficiently powerful to run most games at medium-high settings, gets 5+ hours of battery life (with the extended batter) and doesn't weigh 15 pounds. And it is only around $1300ish.

A good laptop will not last you a very long time at all. I bought my Dell in December 2009 and got my hands on it in January 2010. In the month it took for Dell to ship it to me it was already obsolete (has a core 2 duo and now everyone has i5s or i7s, has an ATI 4670, most things have AT 5 series or faster Nvidia cards, etc, and when I bought it this was top of the line for the price range). You can put together a good ATI based machine for easily under $1000 and it would last as long, if not longer and not be so impractical.

ATI 5 series GPUs are dirt cheap and blazing fast, ATI's Phenom 6 core processors are no i7 extreme edition but they are more than fast enough (PC Gamer put them head to head and the Phenom lost but only barely and unless you want to run 8 copies of GTA 4 and Crysis simultaneously you won't notice the difference, especially when the Phenom is 1/4th the cost of the i7). Get some RAM and a mobo and you're good to go.

Wow, thanks for the info. I'll look into the XPS.

deluxulous

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376737,00.asp

This interests me. It's also cheaper than the XPS.

Paintcheck

The i3 processor is much weaker than the XPS' i7 and you said you wanted this to last. Something to consider.

Again don't get a laptop if you don't have to.

Roy

I could built you one thats cheaper then that thing and Faster.
If you want me to let me know and I'd be happy to help anyway i can

Das_Uberman

I would go Alienware http://www.alienware.com
A whole brand of laptops and desktops designed for gaming, expensive, but worth it, speficically this one
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m18x/pd.aspx
Dell finally did something right.

Steel

Why don't you just replace your desktop with a better desktop? Getting a gaming laptop was the biggest waste of my money, ever. You pay to much for to less in laptops, when you could get a better, equal desktop for a fraction of the price you'd pay for a laptop.