Custom gaming Rigs

Started by MorsTactica, 07-02-2013

MorsTactica

Is it worth my money to go from a 5,000RPM to 7,200RPM HDD? Are SSDs worth the enormous price for less space?
What about 16 gigs of RAM vs 8?
I play nearly everything, namely Source games, Fallouts, STALKER, and ArmA.
Also, post PC specs/pics if you want.
I bet you were expecting something funny, weren't you?

Knife_cz

What do you need 16 gigs of RAM for?

Khorn

I got an answer for all your the questions. No.
Upgrading with any of those choices won't make you computer that much better.

A better RPM  or SSD would only help with being able to access files on your computer. An SSD as of todays standard are best for installing an OS on for faster booting and such. Unless you got the money to but one of the larger SSDs, thats all you really can use it for.

16gb of RAM would only help if you do something more serious with computers, not just gaming. And depends on what kind of RAM you get. 8gbs should be good for ost gamers currently.

Overwatch

Well, in all seriousness. SSD's aren't a shitload.
I mean it's like, £60 for 110Gb. And unless you're a clatty bastard that can't clean up after himself, 110GB can do pretty much everything with the standard AAA Title being 14-18Gb.

As for RAM, unless you REALLY REALLY Want to run Google Chrome 74 times, Three DOTA 2's. a Skyrim and Far Cry 3 at the one time. You never really need more than 4-8. Because for games your Graphics cards GDDR5 Should load up most of the hardcore shit your RAM doesn't want. And for a processor the minimum standards is an i5 2500k for an all rounder.

Khorn

8 is good, for today's standard.

Maybe if you take up movie making, animation, and compiling up, you'd need 16.

Paintcheck

You won't notice much of a difference for gaming going from 8-16 gigabytes however if you get into threaded applications like video editing you will notice a difference.

A faster HDD and SSD well it depends. If you hate load times then yes that will improve with those but actual gameplay performance after the thing has loaded? Probably not. I love my SSD, computer boots so fast and the few games I have installed on it have next to no loading times.

The biggest bang for your buck in increasing performance right now is video card followed by processor (depending. If you're on an ancient core 2 duo then you'll probably see a greater return upgrading the processor. If you are already on an i-series the video card will likely make more difference)

Bl★ck Star

I got 16gb Ram, mainly for processing videos, phtoshop stuff and other work things that need rendering and also for games.

deluxulous

If you're rendering HD video then you might need 16 gigs, other than that I wouldn't say so. RAM is cheap nowadays anyways, so whatever

Khorn

Cheap,  yea, but I say if you don't need it, don't get it. Atleast wait until they improve on RAM before buying it. Evebtually we will have larger memory sizes that are faster. So it be best to wait until you really need them. By then, 16gb will be even cheaper.

Steven :D

whatever u do dont break the ram in half that wont work lol

Bl★ck Star

Quote from: Steven :D on 08-02-2013
whatever u do dont break the ram in half that wont work lol

he could also try downloading some more.
http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

Silver Knight

SSD's price to storage ratio is pretty rubbish right now. You only need the SSD for your OS, after that get a 1tb+ hybrid or normal HDD for your actual storage. Put anything that runs regularly or all the time on your SSD and data on the non-SSD drive.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Ragolution

pic of my new computer

Cutch

I have 12GB of RAM, but thats mostly because I use TRAKTOR for DJing and mixing so I need the extra power.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Paintcheck

Quote from: SilverKnight on 08-02-2013
SSD's price to storage ratio is pretty rubbish right now. You only need the SSD for your OS, after that get a 1tb+ hybrid or normal HDD for your actual storage. Put anything that runs regularly or all the time on your SSD and data on the non-SSD drive.

+1 for that.

Do not be an idiot like me and install steam to your SSD. While having no loading times in games is great my SSD cannot hold all my Steam games. This has been negated somewhat ever since Valve added in the ability to install to other drives but not every Steam game has that option so you're better off putting that on a normal HDD.

Khorn

I could potentially get an SSD and get an OS on it, my computer also has a external dock for 2.5" drives. Take my OS on the go.

As useful as that would be.