ATI Vs Nvida

Started by Silver Knight, 11-07-2011

Silver Knight

Well, the title is somewhat the point of the discussion.

I used to have a Nvida 8800 GTS 640 about two years ago which died sadly. I moved to my laptop and now to my new rig. So far it's been a bitch getting a new gpu for it.

I bought a Radeon HD 5830, having a good time using a Radeon HD 4xxx series gpu which ran the witcher 2 pretty well. Anyway sadly it was faulty, saw artifacts, was overheating alot within the first few days. Rma'd it and got another, which after 2 days has done the exact same thing.

So im going to ask for a refund tomorrow and was wondering what you guys might suggest as a replacement. Ive been looking at a Nvida gigabyte 460 GPU, although i dont want to overlook anything and the amount of variety in brand names really pisses me off.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

jaik

had a 9800gt for a while now and it's fine
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Chrono

Look, i noticed AMD (ATI doesnt exist anymore...or so i heard) got this problem with overheating things...i needed to put an extra fan on my pc (it was a HD4870x2) so it would stop overheating...NVIDIA, yes it got less problems with temperature, but i dont see big differences between their actual gen of cards

Silver Knight

Ati still exist but it's pretty much merged inside AMD now. AMD had a greater share of the market and obviously CPU's are more important with the graphics card being an add-on to the computer.

Cutch

I have a Nvidia GTX250 and it works like a charm.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Silver Knight

Well i am getting a refund, thinking of getting a Gigabyte GTX 560

Blackflunk

The ATI graphics cards are way too buggy, I had several problems with my ATI 5850 graphics cards. I got 2 in crossfire.
Ladies, please.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Blackflunk on 12-07-2011
The ATI graphics cards are way too buggy, I had several problems with my ATI 5850 graphics cards. I got 2 in crossfire.

What kind of problems have you had with it?

What the 5830 and 5850 really are is cards that did not make their quota, they are 5870's that had too many faults with it so they disable features of it and test to see if it works for that. However they are still powering the disabled parts which is waste of power which is rather sad.

Predu

I think ATI VGAs are cheap and have a great overall performance. Yet they lack in some good settings and the high-end ATIs are worse than Nvidias. Nvidias are very good in quality and they have some good settings in them but cost much.

Paintcheck

ATI cards are cheaper and give good performance but updating their drivers is much more cumbersome. Even though I have an ATI card in my laptop right now I would have to say NVidia is the more user-friendly overall experience (all my other machines have ran Nvidia cards with no issues).

Khorn

I started with a Geforce 9600GT and upgraded to a GTX570.

I think Nvidia works well enough. I haven'tt had any issues for the past 4 years or so with the cards.

deluxulous

I have an nVidia GTX 560 Ti. It's awesome, and I have had zero problems with it. Even during installation, all I had to do was plug it in and it was good to go. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html (It's ranked #9)