AMD vs. Intel? Also other suggestions/questions.

Started by Andrew Weasley, 01-09-2011

Andrew Weasley

What's it gana be? I am thinking of building a computer on iBuypower.com with a coolmaster case and putting in a Push-Pull airflow fan to help cooling. That's really all I am going to put into it at the moment and just upgrade later by buying parts on Newegg but I am faced with the biggest decision.

Get an Intel with an Intel compatible Mother board or vice versa?

Is the Intel worth it? Or is AMD just as good? Or maybe I'll just switch to Intel later if it really matters. I ask this because AMD is WAY cheaper and I don't want to blow away 1000 dollars on an i7 with barely any upgrade when I can get a top of the line AMD with some upgrades with having to only spend 700.

Also can someone tell me the difference between CrossFire, SLI, and 3-Way SLI Motherboards? I feel that it is necessary to get a good motherboard right of the bat because it will be a pain in the arse to upgrade and switch around everything.

Also is it possible to switch out a network card? And will that affect me if I am going to use wireless? I may not use wireless beacause it will not run as fast if I used wired but like... what the hell does a network card do?

Is overclocking worth it? and how does one... overclock? Do I have to buy that when the computer comes or is it possible to do it later?

ALSO (last question) I have heard many many many mixed opinions that Intel's run hot or AMDs run hot, which is best? which runs hot?

Thanks for your help and support. I know I am a pretty big newbie and don't know too much but I figured it is best to ask some people who know what they are talking about befor I go and spend 1000 dollars on somthing that could have been better for cheaper. Again thank you.
Keep on keepin on. Lifes a garden, dig it.
Minecraft: Axxal
Steam: call_me_axx

Ralazo

Intel - Overpriced - but high performance.
AMD - Cheap but falls a bit behind in performance.

I usually pick AMD because the hardware you buy gets old anyways.

Andrew Weasley

Quote from: Ralazo on 01-09-2011

My thoughts exactly. Thanks Ralazo. That answers one of my questions.

Ragolution

Quote from: Andrew Weasley on 01-09-2011
Quote from: Ralazo on 01-09-2011

My thoughts exactly. Thanks Ralazo. That answers one of my questions.

AMD video cards have a more efficient hashing algorithm which is very important in vertex calculation and other stuff like complex shaders and other shit that doesn't get used but it's a nice bonus if you ever need something like that.
Intels are generally more reliable but thier GPUs are known to be shit (if you get one), and they are known to overheat if used for a while.

Paintcheck

Intel is more powerful but chances are you are not going to reach either company's limits in terms of processing power before your GPU bottlenecks you. I think the massive price difference between Intel's i7 and AMD's Phenom 2 X6 makes AMD the better choice for anyone on a budget. 

AS for your other questions:
SLI is Nvidia's name for multiple graphics cards. Crossfire is AMD's. It's just different names for the same thing.
Network cards are how you get wireless on a desktop. There are also some "gaming" network cards that supposedly prioritize game traffic but iirc they don't make that much of a difference and probably aren't worth extra money.

I take it you are new to system building/gaming computers. Don't worry about overclocking. Just leave it stock. There's guides and descriptions on the internet, use those but if you don't know what you're doing that is an excellent way to ensure you break your very expensive computer by frying your CPU.

As for heat, most full size desktop cases are fine on airflow, especially ones for gaming computers. Just make sure you have a lot of fans and you'll be fine. I believe i7s run hotter but you shouldn't be having issues with that unless you get a shitty case with no fans and/or are on a laptop.

Solidus

Recently started a new build, it's all done. I picked up an Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge, by far beats my Phenoms and even my Intel Core i7-720QM.

If you can squeeze in the money, it's a good idea to pick up an Intel CPU and get an LGA1155 mobo, pick up a good GPU and PSU, then feel free to skimp out on the rest.

Andrew Weasley

Thanks Port, Paint, and Solidus.

I think I am pretty much going to get this...

Case
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black - Looks so hot and should have good airflow.

Processor
[= Six Core =] AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU - Good until a better one comes out

Processor Cooling
Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (AMD) - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow) - Worth it?

Memory
8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand - Probably never going to have to upgrade, unless I need better brand?

Video Card
AMD Radeon HD 6450 - 1GB - FOR NOW

Motherboard
[CrossFire] Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 -- AMD 970 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 - Is this good? Not sure if any Nvidia will work on it or if I can only use AMD GPUs. If thats the case I am worried because I am not sure which is better.

Power Supply
450 Watt -- Standard - For now until I need moar power for a better GPU

Primary Hard Drive
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive - May buy dual in the future and a TB Datadrive cause... why not

Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard - For Now

Network Card
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) - For now

So all of this for 670. Worth it? Or should I just build one. I guess my only problem now is whondering if I should get a AMD GPU or Nvidia and to decide which motherboard is compatible with each. God I hate not knowing anything about computers.

Ragolution

Get more RAM and the cheapest Solid State Drive you can afford.

NEEDS MORE USB PORTS

Andrew Weasley

Quote from: Ragolution on 01-09-2011
Get more RAM and the cheapest Solid State Drive you can afford.

NEEDS MORE USB PORTS

HOLY SHIT. Yeah it does. God damnit, theres two things I hate most, using my brain and spending money and I'm doing both with this whole computing thing. Thanks for spotting that for me Port and for all the help. I'm gana have to sit long and hard about all this before I buy ANYTHING.

Solidus

also, I hope you haven't bought that yet. Build your own, it's better.

also, consider it like this: Intel = Lego - More expensive, better quality and reliability.
AMD = MegaBloks - Cheaper, lesser quality and reliability, better choice for budget builds.

And remember that analogy when picking mobos too. You can't put a Lego in a MegaBlok base, they won't fit. Pick supported sockets that are not outdated (LGA 775 is outdated).

Andrew Weasley

Quote from: Solidus on 19-09-2011
also, I hope you haven't bought that yet. Build your own, it's better.

also, consider it like this: Intel = Lego - More expensive, better quality and reliability.
AMD = MegaBloks - Cheaper, lesser quality and reliability, better choice for budget builds.

And remember that analogy when picking mobos too. You can't put a Lego in a MegaBlok base, they won't fit. Pick supported sockets that are not outdated (LGA 775 is outdated).

Nope, I have not and will not buy this computer. I have decided to build one. As soon as I get the time I will and maybe when parts are on sale for the holidays I will buy them. Maybe I will post the parts that I have selected to hear some feed back.

Ragolution

Quote from: Solidus on 19-09-2011
You can't put a Lego in a MegaBlok base, they won't fit.

On the contrary...

Solidus

Or at least I tried that when I was young. Never worked.

Paintcheck

I would really love to see a report stating that AMD is lower quality than Intel. Have ran both AMD and Intel CPUs (both at stock speeds and overclocked) and AMD and Nvidia GPUs I have experienced no problems with either.

AMD's graphics drivers are a pain in the ass to update though they do seem to be working on that with a utility that automatically detects what drivers you have and then downloads the newest one if you need it. Nvidia has been doing that for a while on their site which I found to be much easier while trying to get the drivers for my AMD laptop card.

Also Corsair for RAM, Asus for motherboards. EVGA, BFG, or Asus for Nvidia graphics cards, not too familiar with the good brands of AMD cards (think Sapphire is a good one iirc) . The newer generation of Intel i7s and i5s are supposed to be stupidly fast and their price is now much closer to the AMD 6 core (although intel is currently playing "Musical sockets" which makes trying to future proof your motherboard difficult) so you might want to go back to Intel. I believe Socket 1156 is the current standard and will be what Intel uses for a bit (or is it 1155? It's one of those)

irondeity

So far, dosnt look like your PSU needs to be any bigger, unless of course you decide to Crossfire/SLI, in which case I had done originally on this machine and slapped an Ultra 850-watt power unit in it for the dual Nvidia PNY 8800 GTS graphics cards with the SLI link and the (at the time) top of the line Intel Duo-Core E6550 processor on a Nvidia EVGA 680i SLI gaming mobo. But thats all just a tad bit outdated by todays basic standards. Also, Id avoid liquid cooling systems. I dont give a rats ass who makes it, what its made out of, or how good the reviews are, I do not trust liquids anywhere in or around my computer. Id sooner install a $3000 'Cold Storage' compartment under my floor with a minilift to put lower my tower down.
Unaffiliated: Mikhal 'Sabre' Tokerov -:- Alive
Ex-Military/Spetsnaz: Andrei 'War' Mirkov -:- Alive
Military Observer: Victor Tokerov -:- Alive
Unaffiliated: 'Siege' -:- Deceased
Leoyid 'Rat Tail' Olinsky -:- Alive
The Tar Man -:- No Data

Paintcheck

Necropost but I don't care this section isn't busy. I take back what I said about AMD cards. Their cards are fine but their drivers are so shitty and unstable that half the time updating them locks my computer up and crashes it. Get an Nvidia.