How to export models from a Starcraft 2 Map

Started by Silver Knight, 16-02-2018

Silver Knight

This is a walk through guide is based on gerSlikey's guide at sc2mapster

This is so  you can export models\assets from a map, many private maps feature assets you cannot obtain elsewhere and stifles the development of SC2, credit should still be directed towards the asset developers.

What do I need for this tutorial?
You have to download an MPQ Editor. In this case I used the first hit at Google.com: http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html Important: Choose the "MPQ Editor with listfiles ..."

After downloading, you have to install it anywhere you want

I downloaded the program, next?
The files of the custom maps are hidden, but you can typically find them in these directories:

Windows Vista / 7 / 10
C:\ ProgramData \ Blizzard Entertainment \ Battle.net \ Cache

Windows XP
C:\ Users \ YOUR PC USER \ AppData \ Local \ Blizzard Entertainment \ Battle.net \ Cache

When you enter this folder you will get a shock at first, but don't worry, we have a solution. The files for which we search have the ending:

*.s2ma

Type this into you search and look through the hole Cache folder. All these files have a crypted filename and I don't know the algorithm. There are two possibilities.

Method 1

Download the chosen map once and then look at the dates of the files. Compared the file time and choose the latest one. It looks like that.

Method 2

Delete all files in folder: C:\ ProgramData \ Blizzard Entertainment \ StarCraft II \ Maps \ Cache

Run Starcraft 2 and start a lobby with the map you wish to use, let it download. Exit the game.

Now go back to this folder, search *.s2ma file and copy any of these files you found to a seperate directory.

Since you are after models, typically the larger the .s2ma file, the more likely that it's the map you want to unpack, so start opening the maps until you find the resources you are looking for.

Typically models are in:

.m3 format and textures are located in assets/ -  Right click on the desired content you want to export in the program and  press "Extract" and save to a directory.

Then load up whatever map you want to use and import the assets, make sure the folder structure is the same.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period