I'm new to Steampunk

Started by DasHeadCrap, 26-09-2013

DasHeadCrap

So for those of you that know me I'm Das. I've read a very limited amount on steampunk and I had a few questions.

1: Steampunk seems to be based on 19th an early 20th century Victorian culture and industry. Does this mean the server will take place around these times?

2: If so will things such as revolvers and rifles be in the game (when I say in the game I mean in RP. I'm not actually asking for a gun mod)?

3: Can we add steam contraptions to the RP world? I wanted to make an inventor/mad scientist for a character and I was wondering if as long as we took our time, resources, and if it was reasonable that we could "invent" or create new things like a steam powered car or a pressurized crossbow or some shit like that.

4:This question isn't exactly steampunk related at all but will we have a currency and an item shop so the economy isn't as unpredictable as it was in Aceon?
Listen, man, humanity dreams of the stars for one reason and one reason only. Hot xeno ass. Don't fail us now.

CoolFeerman

Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 26-09-2013
So for those of you that know me I'm Das. I've read a very limited amount on steampunk and I had a few questions.

1: Steampunk seems to be based on 19th an early 20th century Victorian culture and industry. Does this mean the server will take place around these times?

2: If so will things such as revolvers and rifles be in the game (when I say in the game I mean in RP. I'm not actually asking for a gun mod)?

3: Can we add steam contraptions to the RP world? I wanted to make an inventor/mad scientist for a character and I was wondering if as long as we took our time, resources, and if it was reasonable that we could "invent" or create new things like a steam powered car or a pressurized crossbow or some shit like that.

4:This question isn't exactly steampunk related at all but will we have a currency and an item shop so the economy isn't as unpredictable as it was in Aceon?

I'll answer what I can, but you'll, of course, get better answers from Edvyn.

1. Yes, in a way. Edvyn said that the server will take place in those times, but incorporate science-fiction type elements.

2. I know there will be guns.

3. I'm sure it's a possibility.

4. I'm pretty sure we're getting iConomy. As far as I know (unless Ed has changed her mind) we are getting... Citizens 2? I think, and that adds NPCs that can sell stuff. The city itself is pretty fucking big, not to mention there's quite a bit of land outside it, so yeah, NPCs are a good thing.

Redbark

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 26-09-2013

1. Yes, in a way. Edvyn said that the server will take place in those times, but incorporate science-fiction type elements.

4. I'm pretty sure we're getting iConomy. As far as I know (unless Ed has changed her mind) we are getting... Citizens 2? I think, and that adds NPCs that can sell stuff. The city itself is pretty fucking big, not to mention there's quite a bit of land outside it, so yeah, NPCs are a good thing.
Will we have airships? cause I think there is a bukkit addon that makes things move able. And are we expecting a nice guns of Icarus themed setting also?

Syndraell

Quote from: Redbark on 27-09-2013

Will we have airships? cause I think there is a bukkit addon that makes things move able. And are we expecting a nice guns of Icarus themed setting also?

show some links and screenshots, Red.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

CoolFeerman

An Airship dock is being constructed by a few people. Oddly enough, we didn't get permission from Edvyn so that might be null. I checked out the bukkit plugin, or A bukkit plugin, I should say, and it looked out of date. Never played Guns of Icarus.

Redbark

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 27-09-2013

An Airship dock is being constructed by a few people. Oddly enough, we didn't get permission from Edvyn so that might be null. I checked out the bukkit plugin, or A bukkit plugin, I should say, and it looked out of date. Never played Guns of Icarus.

Aw shit. But probably Edvyn thinks it's too "advanced" or hard to pull off.

But it may be for the best.

Edvyn

Aw shit. But probably Edvyn thinks it's too "advanced" or hard to pull off.

But it may be for the best.

It's not that I refused the idea, it's more that feer hasn't brought it up with me yet. I'd love to see airships, and if they can be implemented they will be implemented. That being said, airships are not the focus of the setting, and more an extra that we could put in if it's feasible to put in. Try not to state things like "Edvyn thinks" - it's a bit like talking about me as if I'm not here in a place where I'm almost guaranteed to see your posts.

you're not my real dad you don't know me

2ktaco

Ya know, we could be working on filling the outer ring instead of working on projects that haven't yet been deemed kosher.

CoolFeerman

Quote from: 2ktaco on 28-09-2013

Ya know, we could be working on filling the outer ring instead of working on projects that haven't yet been deemed kosher.

We had to figure out where the other gates would lead to. It's sort of weird to have a gate that leads directly to cliffs.

Redbark

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 28-09-2013
Quote from: 2ktaco on 28-09-2013

We had to figure out where the other gates would lead to. It's sort of weird to have a gate that leads directly to cliffs.
SHHH Dont spoil it...

DasHeadCrap

A thought crossed my mind. Is this server going to be rather peaceful or war-torn? I get roleplay evolves around the players actions and if a factions wants war so be it but will any major factions be waging war early on? Basically when I say major factions waging wars I think of back when Aceon was around how there was Judona and that Sellifield guy er whatever.
Listen, man, humanity dreams of the stars for one reason and one reason only. Hot xeno ass. Don't fail us now.

CoolFeerman

Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 04-10-2013
A thought crossed my mind. Is this server going to be rather peaceful or war-torn? I get roleplay evolves around the players actions and if a factions wants war so be it but will any major factions be waging war early on? Basically when I say major factions waging wars I think of back when Aceon was around how there was Judona and that Sellifield guy er whatever.

There will be tension between the castes, but not obvious OH GOD SOCIAL CASTE WARFARE PLAGUES THE STREETS AHGG.

Redbark

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 04-10-2013

There will be tension between the castes, but not obvious OH GOD SOCIAL CASTE WARFARE PLAGUES THE STREETS AHGG.

So no half life uprising era like thing?

DasHeadCrap

Quote from: Redbark on 05-10-2013

I was kinda hoping for a guy in a old time diving suite to come out and save us with his steam powered rotary crowbar. Oh well...

Redbark

Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 05-10-2013

I was kinda hoping for a guy in a old time diving suite to come out and save us with his steam powered rotary crowbar. Oh well...
We all know someone who's first time being on the server will try and be the hero... We all know. And it WILL happen sadly.

CoolFeerman

Quote from: Redbark on 06-10-2013

We all know someone who's first time being on the server will try and be the hero... We all know. And it WILL happen sadly.

No, it won't.

Redbark

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 06-10-2013
Quote from: Redbark on 06-10-2013

No, it won't.

Pray

DasHeadCrap

I know the release date is somewhere here (the servers board said like 2 weeks) but does any one working on the map know it? I can't wait for the server to be up

CoolFeerman

Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 07-10-2013
I know the release date is somewhere here (the servers board said like 2 weeks) but does any one working on the map know it? I can't wait for the server to be up

Erm, don't pay attention to the little board thing it's been like that for a while, that being said we're working on the slums and as soon as that's done the server will be up. Later when everything is done, detail added and everything pish posh then the rest of the city will be shipped.

Redbark

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 07-10-2013
Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 07-10-2013

Erm, don't pay attention to the little board thing it's been like that for a while, that being said we're working on the slums and as soon as that's done the server will be up. Later when everything is done, detail added and everything pish posh then the rest of the city will be shipped.

DasHeadCrap

Sounds great. I can't wait until a year from now when there are cities, ruins (if you guys don't regen every damn destroyed house you see), stories to tell at the local hub, almost magical places and caves with the remains of bandits long gone. The Mega city allowing fun RP and having built new ideas. Legends of characters and jokes of fools. Epic builds that you hear of from a local merchant that you wish to see. Of course any battles to come as well. It would be nice to play and here some people tell the story of how a last stand of an army was only pulled off thanks to some airships that did a bombing run or how a guy used his mind to blast some soldiers head off with a ball of plasma. This will be, EPIC!

dylancotter

Well if I come back Ill ask people to as time passes in the City to really mess with my buildings a little bit out of trust so say 10 20 years pass and no-ones character Chronologically cares for the place feel free to make it look half destroyed just let me know on the Forum or get a message passed to me explaining it so I know that and I can make other edits myself accordingly From Small Wooden Shanty town like areas rotting apart to stone buildings eroding away and collapsing as the Pillars break with Proper RP I dont care if I have to rebuild the location again but with the roof touching the floor because someone blew out the Pillars and the Supporting walls

Syndraell

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 28-09-2013

So far, I've seen one gate lead out to a bride to the forests.
One gate could go to the grasslands for farms and natural resources
I think one leads to a tower of some sorts...
And another gate could lead to docks or something.

As for an earlier post of max's, were you referring to movecraft?

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

MlaKins

I'm hoping we can have three dimensional maneuver gear.

Ragolution

Quote from: MlaKins on 28-10-2013
I'm hoping we can have three dimensional maneuver gear.

The fuck, you're alive?