elves.

Started by meldin, 20-08-2013

meldin

I know now that this server shall be steampunk server instead of a fantasy server, but i must know if elves shall be allowed. I don't care what they're called, as long as there are some kind of pointy eared humanoid on the server, I shall be content.

CoolFeerman

lol
it won't happen, not while edvyn is eternal glorious leader

Edvyn

Machina Mythos will not have tolkien-clones or tolkien-equivalents. They are unnecessary literary crutches that hamper creativity. The view that copying tolkien is not only acceptable but required in fantasy writing is not only uninformed, it is counterproductive and harmful to new fantasy writers. The focus in Machina Mythos will not be on magic or unoriginal races, it will be on politics and impossible technologies. Unlike the days of Aceon, Caphori and MM will be distinct enough to cater to two entirely different playerbases - Caphori will accept your elves, MM will not. I encourage anyone who feels they must play elves to go to Caphori, as James is a competent, flexible admin. As it stands, I have no plans to add extra nonhuman races to MM, but there will of course be application threads for that kind of thing. MM's lore, however, will be quite well-defined. Races must make sense within the established lore, with reasonable explanations. Tolkien-equivalents will be automatically denied, as I want a fresh, stylized setting that actually gives people a sense of wonder when they explore it. A setting with tolkienclones is often easy to guess your way through, you can make many assumptions that are almost always correct. The elves will be artsy pointy-eared nature lovers. The orcs will be brutish, tribal green people with tusks. The dwarves will be little scottish vikings who love beer. This is no way to write interesting fiction. Abandon your crutches.

Beano

Quote from: CoolFeerman on 20-08-2013
lol
it won't happen, not while edvyn is eternal glorious leader
GLROY OT ED
All hope must be disregarded

12:37 PM - Beano #JizzCake: how is babby formed
12:37 PM - SumRandomGuy: once upon a time
12:38 PM - SumRandomGuy: there was this giant big thingy thing
12:38 PM - SumRandomGuy: its called my benis

DasHeadCrap

Yay, finally no LoTR race clones. Maybe for once people can be encouraged to make there own skins instead of taking a copyrighted one from WoW or LoTR and then going "I'm an Orc I kill shit for fun".
Listen, man, humanity dreams of the stars for one reason and one reason only. Hot xeno ass. Don't fail us now.

2ktaco

Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 25-09-2013
Yay, finally no LoTR race clones. Maybe for once people can be encouraged to make there own skins instead of taking a copyrighted one from WoW or LoTR and then going "I'm an Orc I kill shit for fun".

Oh hey, Mako. Welcome back. Hows it going?

Also, it probably wont have an effect on the amount of people making their own skins. People are lazy, People stay lazy.

Plus, I've never(ever) seen a copyrighted minecraft skin. Some of the more talented skin makers might request that one not use their product, or that one notify them before using it, but they don't copyright it. Most of the quality fantasy skins I've seen(A lot), are only related to either of those franchises by the fact that they are Elves or Orc or Dwarves or whatever. The skins that do claim to be related to either of those franchises are usually really shitty and, the OP just tagged them to get more pageviews & downloads.

CoolFeerman

Quote from: 2ktaco on 25-09-2013
Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 25-09-2013

Oh hey, Mako. Welcome back. Hows it going?

Also, it probably wont have an effect on the amount of people making their own skins. People are lazy, People stay lazy.

Plus, I've never(ever) seen a copyrighted minecraft skin. Some of the more talented skin makers might request that one not use their product, or that one notify them before using it, but they don't copyright it. Most of the quality fantasy skins I've seen(A lot), are only related to either of those franchises by the fact that they are Elves or Orc or Dwarves or whatever. The skins that do claim to be related to either of those franchises are usually really shitty and, the OP just tagged them to get more pageviews & downloads.

Lol, that's not Mako, that's Das, you filthy pleb.

2ktaco

Oh, I was thinking that Das was Makos forum profile. Totally forgot.

DasHeadCrap

I don't know this Mako but he's probably more experienced than me :P
Listen, man, humanity dreams of the stars for one reason and one reason only. Hot xeno ass. Don't fail us now.

CoolFeerman

Quote from: DasHeadCrap on 26-09-2013
I don't know this Mako but he's probably more experienced than me :P

Older Aceon member.

Syndraell

Be creative.

Want a character who has pointy ears and an extremely long lifespan?
How about spikes along the edges of the ears, or a upward curve at the tips?

Elves are pretty much long eared hippies. So as long as you hate nature and you're not gay(And Edvyn approves of how your character is played) I don't think there will be any problems...

I Think. Just remember that I could also be very wrong, so tread carefully.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Edvyn

Quote from: James Almasy on 27-09-2013
Be creative.

Want a character who has pointy ears and an extremely long lifespan?
How about spikes along the edges of the ears, or a upward curve at the tips?

Elves are pretty much long eared hippies. So as long as you hate nature and you're not gay(And Edvyn approves of how your character is played) I don't think there will be any problems...

I Think. Just remember that I could also be very wrong, so tread carefully.

I will be blunt and say that James is wrong. I object to elves entirely, alongside all tolkien races, the reason outlined in my previous post.