Old Lore

Started by Ragolution, 09-11-2011

CPftw

Quote from: Ragolution on 11-03-2012
( It was in his chest. )
TEN POINTS TO PORT! that is right TEN WHOLE points, use them wisely.
pffft

2ktaco

I love the norseyness in this.
Have you ever read "The Sea of Trolls"? Its plot is all about finding said Well of Song, known as Mimirs Well, and one of the main characters is named Thorgil, female though she was.
Again, not knocking the stuff, its totally great. Just wondering.  :-[

CPftw

Quote from: 2ktaco on 12-03-2012
Have you ever read "The Sea of Trolls"? Its plot is all about finding said Well of Song, known as Mimirs Well, and one of the main characters is named Thorgil, female though she was.
again yes I have read it, if the main character is called Jack and Thorgils (which is like Sam and can be either gender) gets dragon blood and can hear birds and something about a mad old crow man.
pffft

2ktaco

Quote from: CPftw on 12-03-2012
again yes I have read it, if the main character is called Jack and Thorgils (which is like Sam and can be either gender) gets dragon blood and can hear birds and something about a mad old crow man.
Thats the one and, again great job. *slinks away to reread that book*

CPftw

Quote from: Ragolution on 12-03-2012
Do neither of you remember the blind skald? You both suck at books.
He was the best character damn you.
Was he really hoarse and Jack got him some drops of the Well water? and no one can beat the giant owls.
pffft

2ktaco

Quote from: Ragolution on 12-03-2012
Quote from: CPftw on 12-03-2012
Thats the one and, again great job. *slinks away to reread that book*

Do neither of you remember the blind skald? You both suck at books.

Thread Song.
http://www.youtube.com/v/_3_S1Qo&autoplay=1

He was the best character damn you.
LONG LIVE OLAF ONE-BROW..... nope the troll bear got him.

meldin

The Eldivan had split off from the High Elves in the early first era, after many elves lusted for a great military. A group of no more than 350 men & women left the  cities of the the High elves to start their own military-ran city. They traveled far into the mountains, where iron and coal were rich in supply. There, they carved great building out of the stone and started to work on their empire.

The Eldivan military started as a small band of men and women ready to  fight, slowly evolving as their numbers grew. They rapidly discovered many advancements in warfare, including the use of a camouflage uniform instead of a colourful uniform,the creation of guerilla warfare, and the invention of basic explosives.Around the year 340, the Eldivan had found great use in adapting certain qualities the great Ermorian military had. They started to group there men into Qari (Sections), with an Qaror (Section Officer) leading each one. As a soldier grew in skill and experience, they would be praised with a higher rank, and a better position in the military.

The Eldivan had changed very much since the splitting from the High Elves. The Eldivan have much fairer skin, their hair colour has also become much lighter, They have a large build compared to the other Elves, and have been know to have war paint across their face and down their arms. They are a very proud people, willing to fight for what they believe in, but are not known tostart war with others. If you were to personally meet an Eldivan, intimidated would be the first thing to overcome you. They are know to look quite threatening, but most are no more scary than a little girl after meeting them.... well as long as you don't do wrong by him. If so, he is quite inclined to rip you fingers off and feed them to you.

RanmaChan

Please, try to add a little something more than just what the application was.  Other than that though, ill link it to the lore index.
"If you don't expect gratitude, you'll seldom be dissapointed."

Demonizer877

Novarium was not the first city to conquer the isle it inhabited, but the city was the first to continually experiment with technology that many of the islands inhabitants tended to fear at first. The island was quite a substantial land mass and the emperor who ran it from the comfort of the city was completely insane, or so was popular gossip.

Centuries ago the entire isle had been under the democratic rule of multiple races each choosing to live peacefully among one another. Disputes were handled strictly non-violently over negotiation tables set up around the isle. An amazing accomplishment for an isle with cities so close a war would have been easy to start. Yes, all races were involved. Well almost all of them. The keystone the races left out for various reasons was the human race. To put it short the humans and the other races had "history". Therefore the other races had decided they were unfit to rule and so the humans had been cast out to live in their city that they had spent years crafting in order to withstand any form of attack. Yes the idea and theory behind the plan was perfect, the humans had been cast out and would not interfere with the other races and in return the races would not interfere with them. Unfortunately the human race was built to crave money and power and needless to say the city soon grew restless with these thoughts circulating in their minds. This greatly helped the emperor's influence.

Soon, technological advancements had begun in secret. Although slowly, they developed technology completely outside the boundaries of what Aceon had traditionally made. Over a matter of centuries; muskets, cannons and even mechanical augmentations were invented although few and far at first. The next few years after the inventions had come to existence was spent advancing and duplicating them. Needless to say the fools forgot that an army marches on its stomach and so forgot to develop the supply ships that would sail the rivers of Novarium following closely behind the military as they marched to conquer the isle. However, even with crude and outdated vessels the soldiers managed to conquer three quarters of the isle before any form of resistance was put in place. The non-human races banded together to form a strong front line whilst the humans continued to attempt to push on with their experimental gunpowder weaponry. After three weeks with no change on the frontline, the generals soon realised that the supply ships had not made it to the front yet. This created a drastic problem in which they had to move all their soldiers back through the isle so that the supplies could reach them. Almost all of the soldiers returning from the frontline were almost dead, (if not already dead) from starvation. With dwindling numbers and unfit soldiers, Novarium had to do something otherwise they would be defeated.

It is why a navy ship was created. No-one on the isle had ever tried to craft ships capable of warfare and so this was a first for everyone. The sailors on board weren't sure whether the upgraded fishing boat would survive any form of direct attack, but luckily none came their way. Because this had not been tried before, few expected any form of naval attack and when it did happen, it caused chaos on the front lines. As cannon balls bombarded the shoreline attempting to decimate the non-human population, a gap was made. The officers standing with the soldiers realised that yes, this gap could be exploited. Within minutes the Novarium soldiers had breached the gap and were now firing upon their enemies from behind. This of course caused more gaps which the soldiers on the front lines also chose to exploit. Within the hour the entire front line had been wiped clean of any non-human existence. A success for the generals and so it seemed.

As they marched towards the final strongholds the non-human races had put in their way, the soldiers of Novarium encountered magic which they had long frowned upon, as ironically, it seemed too dangerous. Since the start the non-humans had been massively outnumbered, but their experimental weaponry had not just proved effective but had actually struck fear into the heart of their enemy. As Novarium soldiers approached the first of the strongholds, the sky darkened furiously and the earth shook with a slight tremor as all the mages in the strongholds combined their powers to stop the impending threat. No weather would stop these men from achieving their goal of total genocide though, and so they pressed on. It was as they got within 500 metres of the stronghold that the ground opened. Soldiers looked at each other as their comrades fell into sudden fissures that had appeared all around them. To make matters worse the mages inside the city were also bombarding them with projectiles, but Novarium had been taught to never surrender. They would not start now and would fight to the death. The five thousand soldiers pressed forward, running, straight at the gate of the city without any form of support. By the time they had reached the gate, they were down to but half of their number. The stronghold gate held fast and it was only when Hektor Dantius (a soon to be admiral), gave the order to blow it open using gunpowder did they finally breach the courtyard.

It was the Elves who were both the heroes and the villains of the war. As the Novarium soldiers breached the courtyard, Elven warriors descended on them holding them back and not letting them enter the main building. After hours of fighting heavy casualties were found on both sides and Colonel Grenellin gave the order to pull back out of the stronghold. As they did so, the elves celebrated and watched the humans regroup and prepare for another attack. As the humans retreated, the elves sealed their mages inside a vault in the stronghold and gathered themselves to fend off the humans yet again. In a final attempt to break the strongholds defences the Novarium humans attached bayonets to their muskets and gave one last valiant charge over open ground. The Elves were not prepared for such a foolish choice of attack and were quickly overrun by the firepower and rush tactics of the soldiers. After every single elf was dead in the stronghold the soldiers set about to burning it to the ground. However, the vault underneath the stronghold was largely untouched and the soldiers moved on before it was uncovered beneath the ashes.

In the vault the mages began work on dissipating the other races into different regions on Aceon in order to save them from the Genocide. By the time the soldiers reached the final strongholds, there was no sign of life and no tracks to follow. Novarium had won, but not how they wished to have won.

In the following years the emperor worked to develop ships capable of long range transport. The emperor planned to track down the remaining races that had left the isle (now named Novarium) under the elves guidance and slaughter them once and for all. However there was no clear way to tell which race hadn't and had been teleported off the island, therefore the emperor decided he would simply be content with holding power in the other regions of Aceon and showing off the civilisations abilities.

Years later a ship finally capable of long rage transport was created. Named so rightly as "the heart of Novarium" they planned to sail to Aceon and set up a foothold from with the soldiers could expand their influence from. Equipped with Novarium's lower tier of weaponry ranging from simple muskets to flintlock pistols, they were expected to complete their mission. The emperor yet again had made a mistake in the belief that simple weapons would be able to take down such easy enemies. Unfortunately, a lot of people thought differently than the emperor believe rightfully that the rest of Aceon was not a land easy for the taking and instead a land of equally developed races. It is why one of the most prestigious businesses in Novarium developed a ship capable of long rage transport aswell, they saw these races as potential customers. Ravenking decided it too wanted to join the expedition and is why an agent was sent with them to the new lands of Aceon. When the expedition arrived in Aceon they were very surprised to find an elf stood before them...

Present times
Nowadays the isle of Novarium has not had contact with the rest of Aceon in centuries after the failed attempt to "cleanse" the land and set up a foothold in the rest of Aceon. The emperor deemed the expedition inefficient after the main enemies of the expedition were humans themselves. The very few remaining Novarium descent that chose to remain on Aceon by tradition take up jobs as merchants, soldiers or sailors. The experimental gunpowder weaponry that was passed down through generations is now mainly unusable and in need of dire repair. Unfortunately Aceon still has not developed gunpowder weaponry and therefore repairs are close to impossible. Any mechanical augmentations are useless in today's Aceon due to an advance in magic enabling members of Aceon to do such amazing things such as re-grow limbs. Only mechanical augmentations of organs would prove effective today but unfortunately most die before they are able to be put in place. Not to mention the fact that these mechanical augmentations would have to be invented in Aceon first. Novarium descent still have a strong hatred for elven kind but not usually strong enough to want to kill them on sight. Novarium descent usually look extremely youthful when young but age quickly, thanks to the stressful jobs they usually take that play heavily on their features. They have a respect for authority and their trust is earned over long periods of time. They also keep by Novarium's three mottos:
-Never surrender, die with honour and fight till the bitter end
-Secrets are for friends not for enemies
-Keep your wits about you. Nothing is what it seems.

Novarium descents traditionally don't use magic either but some curiously try to experiment in it, usually ending in bad situations. Finally the extremely rare Novarium purebloods retain their compulsion to always want to stay near water, usually owning ships and sailing them regularly.

Optional Misc for Novarium descent (apart from your choice of character variation):
-Retaining some steampunk non-harmful items such as pocket watches, lighters and hand held telescopes
-The most controversial Novarium descent often seek to live among non-humans going purposefully against the cogs of tradition but unable to cross breed
-Novarium descent can come as any skin colour
Awesomeness is the best trait one can have

RanmaChan

Excellent, took a while but its totally worth it.  Adding this to the lore index.
"If you don't expect gratitude, you'll seldom be dissapointed."

Ragolution

Oh god you actually did this?

Commendations.

Carzock

Minecraft Account:Carzock
Do you have BR?:

Character's Name:Kreevus (Dark Lord Naaktar to my subjects/followers.)

Villain Type:Dark Lord/Archenemy
Alignment:Chaotically evil, not a drop of good

Backstory: Contributed to the growth of the Kayal.  Was a highly appreciated scholar and helped create new elements.  Was once considered a genius with an IQ beyond anything anyone has seen.  I lead a long and happy life until I experimented too much with the elements of the Kayal and used them to make Darker elements that caused many horrible symptoms.                                                 
       I was trying to rule the Kayal with an element like a neurotoxin that opens your brain up to be ordered and do things you normally wouldn't do.  That element was called "Leperosin" by the scientists who studied it.  A war between The Kayal and My group that many called the Shadows of the Night ended with my whole family being killed and me going insane.  Eventually the Kayal found a special element that when mixed with "Leperosin" counteracted it's effects if the subject was not exposed for too long. 
        I was almost completely destroyed by the Kayal but drank a mixture of "Leperosin" and many other dark elements that i called "Nocturnal Death" and caused myself to become pure shadow, not even recognizeable as The Marvin Warke I used to be.  I found weaker beings than the Kayal and used Leperosin on them along with "Nocturnal Death to cause them to be my loyal subjects.  I have wandered around looking for another world to conquer that isn't ran by the Kayal.  I have trained for generations honing my abilities and skills to kill anyone that opposes my rule.

DracoRailgun

I don't understand in the application what the 'mage type' is... i understand mantras, but not mage type

Ragolution

If you require even more insight onto mage applications, please feel free to look at the applications that have already been approved. This is just a Fluff & Primer.

Soothsayer_Naes

I thought I'd post some diary enties regarding the backstory of my character. I'll have three more up tomorrow.

Day 1, Month 1
It was horrific.
Men, women, children, none were spared.
They came in waves, each time we had fought them off, another wave simply arrived. Although we do have an organised little militia, it couldn't save the village alone, though they did respectively well.
The enemy forces were the elves from the nearby Kaljij settlement.
Our two groups had never gotten on well, but an attack was something we were completely unprepared for.
Myself and Alex had been out cutting wood at the time when we heard the screams.
We rushed back, but by then the elves were already breaching the town's walls. Alex tried rushing in to help them, but I stopped him.
Maybe I shouldn't have, but I did.
Maybe we could have made a difference, but it wasn't worth the risk. The elves were all either mages or archers, which was why our infantry based military was of little use. The archers shot with pinpoint accuracy while the mages burned our town to the ground.
Heaton Gremore

Day 6, Month 1

Alex is finding it hard to leave this place.
I can understand why, but I don't share his feelings.
My parents died while I was young, and I have been living alone ever since. We've spent the last few days, sifting through the ashes and ruins of the buildings, looking for anything of use.
Well, that and things for Alex.
Naturally, the first house we checked was Alex's family house.
Odd enough for him, he broke down into crying when he saw it.
But I suppose losing your family isn't an everyday occurrence.
Every now and again he'd say something like, "Oh, I think this is my sister's dress" or "This must have been my father's old cane."
We never found any bodies, but perhaps that is a good thing.
We've spent the nights sleeping in the town hall, the only building still standing.
The town has a worrying eeriness to it, and I never feel safe here.
Alex hasn't been getting practically any sleep, I see it in his body and in his form, but yet every morning he is up before me, searching through the houses without fail.
Today, I mentioned to him the idea of leaving this land.
At first, he was angry, but just before bed he told me he'd consider it.
After all, what is there to stay for?
Heaton Gremore

Day 9, Month 1

I've convinced Alex to leave, and today we made preparations.
We gathered up any food, clothes and riches we could find, and brought them to the docks outside town. One interesting trinket I found was the mayor's diamond bracelet. Much of Alex's bag appears to be filled with sentimental items, but I didn't question him. Arriving at the docks, we found a medium sized ship, one with several barrels of food. Neither myself nor Alex have ever steered a boat, but we don't see any other conceivable choice.
I've read before about a faraway land where our descendants came from. A land said to be filled with magic, where men clash steel against steel and wild beasts roam the nights.
My native's history calls this land the Relega, though my ancestors also came to know it as Aceon.
Hopefully this land still exists, and is not destroyed by the spirit of war. What myself and Alex need is a fresh start.
Let's just hope we make it there in one piece.
The sea seems as if it has turned black, and the sky does nothing but rain on us. I pray the Icula will be with us.
Heaton Gremore
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like

Soothsayer_Naes

Here's the next part, enjoy.
Tomorrow I'll post the next three.

Day 15, month 1

We've been sailing for several days now, and there is still no sign of land nearby. Alex turns out to be much better at steering the ship then me, so he takes most of that work. Although, from what I know of the history, Aceon can't be much further away. The legend goes that a small group of people, no more then 50, were banished from the Aceon mainland. They were denied forgiveness for their crimes, and labelled as outlaws, to be killed if they ever came near any main city again. This small group of people left Aceon, and found the island where we would stay for another century, until the present day, with me and Alex being the only survivors. Their voyage was said to have been a short trip "With the speed of the Icula behind us, we made haste away from Relega." Relaga literally means the "The land of the Demons," and it was seen as a crime trying to return there, one that several men I used to know were executed for.
We try to keep someone steering the ship at all times, but sometimes at night we leave it to float by itself.
There is little to do on the ship, so I pass most of my time by talking to Alex or practising my magic. I prepare two meals every day, breakfast and dinner. Breakfast is usually just some fruit or whatever else is fresh, and dinner is a cooked meal I make on the firebox.
My mind often turns to wonder what things will be like when we arrive. That is, if we arrive. What if there are no people there at all? What if it's all a desert wasteland? I have unsettling thoughts about our arrival daily, but I try to focus on other things. I just pray we do arrive soon.
Heaton Gremore

Day 23, Month 1

The weather the last week has been terrible.
In the mornings there is a brief period of sunlight followed by what feels like continuous rain throughout the entire day.
At night, it is harder to sleep with the rain banging on the deck and seeping through the roof.
There are also great winds that bite at my skin, chilling me to the bone. I fear these winds have somewhat blown us off course, though there never really was a clear guideline in which way to go, we had just decided it was best to head north.
We have both been taking longer shifts in steering, and there is less idle chatter between us. Worrying thoughts of our arrival continue to plague me, and Alex has picked up on this.
"Please Heaton, don't look so sad," he mentioned to me earlier, "After all, it's hard to be cheerful when every other member of your crew isn't."
He never mentioned it, but I could tell he was still grieving the loss of his family.
"But... I can't stop thinking to the future," I had replied, "What if nothings there? Or if it's not there at all?"
After merely looked out at the sea, Alex replied, "Heaton. If the Icula are really looking out for us, there is no way they'd lead us astray." At this, he grinned. "Maybe this whole storm is them pushing us in the right direction."
He was trying to cheer me up, and I didn't really want to let him down. I gave him a shaky smile and walked out to the firebox.
As I was leaving, he said, "Don't forget Heaton. The light of the Icula shall lead us to the truth."
Heaton Gremore

Day 2, Month 2

This morning, I was up before Alex.
I got up and checked the storeroom.
I was hard-pressed to find anything that vaguely resembled a fruit, but I eventually found a weary looking apple and an only slightly discoloured orange. I've been hiding it from Alex, but our supplies are running out. We have enough water to last us another week, and we will be lucky to get half that from our food supply.
Needless to say, Alex has taken note of our lowing standard of food, but he's said naught about it. Recently, the weather had perked up considerably, and I can finally sleep soundly at night. Alex doesn't like me practising my magic, so I try not to do it around him, or not at all. Around late afternoon, I saw Alex taking a break from steering, and he was sitting on the edge of the ship, looking out at sea. Alex's father had been a fisherman, but Alex had wanted to pursue different things in life. I had wanted to become a doctor, healing people with both my magic and my mind. Although Alex has never liked magic, he's probably accepted me for it more than anyone else.
I approached him, sitting on the edge.
"Hey there, captain. Shouldn't you be, oh, I don't know, steering?" I said playfully, He didn't even look up at me, or say anything,
I sat beside him, not looking directly at him.
We sat there in silence for a while, feeling each other's presence, without saying anything. Without looking at me, he said quietly,
"When I look at the sea, Heaton, it makes me realise how insignificant I really am." At this, he picked up this morning's apple and threw it into the ocean. It rippled for a moment before settling. "One second, everything's normal and you're living your life, and the next fate's decided to toy with you, just for some kind of entertainment. It makes me sick, Heaton. It really does."
Then he turned to face me. His eyes were puffy and bloodshot. He had been crying. "Don't you realise how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things?" I sat there for a moment, looking at him.
Then, picking up the core from my apple, I said with determination, "Maybe. But, I think, we all have a purpose. Sure, we may not be very important alone, but together, we can form a ripple more than big enough to break fate's grip." I chucked the core into the sea, watching the tiny waves disappear. "After all, Alex. The light of the Icula shall lead us to the truth." I grinned at him, for the first time in what felt like years. Before he could say another word, his eyes went round as saucers and he seemed to lose all speech.
"What's wrong Alex?" In his response, he merely pointed behind me.
And there it was, right in front of the ship.
In the setting sun I could faintly make out land.
Land.
Relega.
Aceon.
Heaton Gremore
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like

Soothsayer_Naes

Sorry, it's late, I'll try to have the next one up for tomorrow.
From this point on, there are quite a few mentions of Heaton's religion, Ancestory, so I recommend you read the short post I made about that, before continuing.

"I'm bored. What're you up to?"
"Busy observing. One of the new countryside settlements have declared a war on the nearby dwarfs."
"Pfft, you're no fun. What about you, up to much?"
"I, too, am interested in this dispute. The human village could easily overpower the dwarfs, but yet I wonder if they lack the backbone to do it."
"You two really should find more interesting things to do with your time, after all- Hmm? Now what do we have here..."
"What is it?"
"Two men just arrived overseas, from the exiled village of Segurd." 

Day 6, Month 2

It was midday yesterday when we arrived.
I was dying to get off the ship and plant my feet on solid ground, but Alex stayed behind to check the storeroom. Deciding there was nothing edible, or what was there wasn't worth bringing, he came over to the beach we had landed on. Well, more like crashed on. The boat had definitely seen it's last voyage. We wondered around the newfound land for a while. There was rich, snow topped greenery everywhere, but no apparent signs of civilisation. I soon found a pig, scurrying between bushes, and I felt so desperately hunger for fresh meat. Before I could catch him though, he was already gone. Eventually, just before nightfall, we stumbled across a seemingly deserted building, and spent the night there. We found lots of beds upstairs, and we were soon fast asleep. It was the best I'd slept in the last month. In the morning, I was up early and decided to let Alex sleep in. I took the quick walk back to the ruins of the ship, and decided to scrap whatever salvageable remains there were. As I was climbing aboard, I saw a flutter of movement off to my right. Turning quickly, I startled myself, but saw that I couldn't see anything but a cow grazing on the plains. Then, right as I was about to look away, I saw more movement, this time a little closer. I stood there straining my eyes to see, when the cow gave off a horrible moan, and fell over onto the ground. I noticed it had an arrow struck right between it's eyes, when a lone figure emerged from the grass behind it. It didn't notice me, so it soon began to cut the meat from the cow. I could clearly see large ears hidden away in it's hood, and from it's body I could only come to one conclusion.
It was an elf.
Which meant we weren't alone here.

Day 11, Month 2

Over the last few days me and Alex have completely dissembled the standing parts of the ship. We used most of the wood in repairing the old abandoned house we've been living in, and used the rest as firewood. When I told Alex I saw another person here, he seemed worried. But the whole point of us coming here was to find another civilisation, wasn't it? Alex said he had seen a village nearby, and today he went over to visit it. It was just before nightfall when he returned, with good news. He said there was a main city nearby, just a couple of days walk to the north. He said there wasn't any road to follow to get there, but it should be fairly straight forward. When I suggested we head there tomorrow, he refused. He said it would be best if he went himself, and I stayed here. Of course I insisted we went together, but he won't change his mind. So tonight I packed his bags, using food from some wild animals we had captured and cooked. I also gave him some basic supplies, a couple of torches and a copy of the Cretina to read. Tomorrow morning he's leaving, and hopefully he'll be back soon. Have I mentioned yet the immense amount of magical energy I'm feeling? This whole region is very different from the land back home. I feel as if even the ground gives off a silent breath, and the trees emanate a joyous chorus. But most importantly, I feel as if my magic has improved since landing here. It's odd, really. If the mages back home have enough power to burn an entire village to the ground, what power do the natives here hold?

Day 18, Month 2

It's been six days since Alex left. I imagine he is busy in the city, finding out as much as we can. Although, I did wonder how he would find a place to stay the cold winter nights, considering we don't have any of this region's currency, or anything very valuable to trade with.
At about midday, I remembered my mayor's diamond bracelet. Disappointed I forgot to give it to Alex, I decided to go outside to chop some wood. Our house is located beside a small forest, so I never have to travel far. I went further than usual today, hoping to spot some fresh meat. Unfortunately, I had no such luck, so I collected apples from the trees instead. On the way home, I decided to stop by the nearby village Alex had visit several days ago. I've become quite friendly with them, and we've agreed to sell each other food, materials, and whatnot. When my business was done, I walked home as another snowstorm flared. We live in some snowy plains, so this is pretty normal. It is winter though, so the storms can be very severe. I hurry home, but stop about 30 metres from the house. In front of the double doors, I can see two figures, both of whom are obviously elves. I duck behind a tree to watch the duo. They seemed fascinated at the sudden repair of the house, but can't seem to find a way inside. I decide to wait them out, but half an hour later they're still there, seemingly just waiting by the doors. Maybe they're waiting until I come home. Before I can decide on another course of action, I hear a screech come from the elves. I look over, and one elf, the shorter one, has an arrow sticking through his hand.
The other one bends down to help him up, but gets up fast enough to evade the next arrow. One more arrow is fired from somewhere, but the two elves are already running off into the snowy blankness. I get up and start walking towards the house, when I hear a voice from behind me. "Watch out, Heaton. I almost thought you were one of them." I turn to face Alex, bow in hand, looking angrier then I've seen him since that night.
Heaton Gremore

Soothsayer_Naes

Here's the next part, hope you all enjoy.

"There hasn't been a single visitor from Segurd since they left Aceon. I must admit, I assumed they were all but gone."
"Hmm, that is interesting... but how about we make this more interesting?"
"Do you mean, The Game?"
"Of course I do. It's been a long time since we've played a Game, so I've been looking forward to one. What better opportunity then two new boys from Segurd?"
"Hmm, I suppose."
"Right then, it's settled. I'll go for the smaller boy."
"Then that leaves me with the taller one."
"I'll try to make sure both lose, or both win."
"This sounds like it could be one of our most fun games in a while.
I guess it's up to me to make the first move."

Day 23, Month 2

Alex seems tired after his trip away, but was in no means disappointed by his findings. The morning after he returned, we sat around the breakfast table as he told me how the trip had went. He said that the city was only about a day's walk away, half that if he hurried. Apparently, he had met a young woman in the city who showed him around. She lived alone, so she was happy to let him stay at her house. He had spent most of the time looking around town, trying to find out as much information as he could. Apparently, the Aceonic currency is called the Folleri, and there monarch is called Gravius Sellitus. One thing Alex also told me, was that apparently nobody has belief in Ancestory anymore. He said most people there had never even heard of it. We've spent the last few days preparing for the trip. After a long-winded discussion, we've decided to move to the city. Alex said he could easily find us an inn to stay at, until we get jobs and buy a house. Things have been moving along very rapidly lately. Although we're away from the danger, and I'm safe here with Alex, I never seem to feel it.
Heaton Gremore

Day 27, Month 2

Two days ago, Alex fell ill.
He had been out hunting when he returned home with a pain in his head. He went to bed immediately, and stayed there the whole of yesterday. There's little I can do for him, as I have no supplies to use.
I think he's carrying some secret, but he won't help me lighten his burden. Whatever the problem is, I hope he feels better soon. He was standing up today for a little while, and helped me cook dinner.
I've had to work extra hard since his ailment struck, doing all the hunting, cooking, chopping and cleaning. I tried using some magic on Alex before bed tonight, hoping it might help. I assumed he was asleep, but his eyes grew open as I casted the spell. I'm a healer, magically, which gives me some help with being a doctor. The instant he realised what I was doing, Alex tried to stop me. I did stop, reluctantly, but only because Alex would have gotten more mad at me. After a short period of silence, he quietly whispered, "Heaton, you know how I feel about magic. It's a gift from demons, and I hope you wouldn't indulge in such practises. People who have powerful magic abilities, Heaton, aren't trustworthy. You would do well to remember that."
Heaton Gremore

Day 1, Month 3

Today was the day we were set to leave. Alex had decided that we should leave at night, hoping it would be morning when we arrived.
Alex's illness appears to have gone, and much for the better.
I'm not sure how the city will be, though. Alex seems to have enjoyed his stay, but I worry what we will do when we arrive. The city appears to be run by a sole leader, and doesn't trifle in the affairs of the wilderness. According to Alex, many of the city's residents appear to be quite wealthy, but there is a strong division between the rich and poor. Alex has always had a strong dislike for the wealthy, which surprises me sometimes. In our village, nobody really had much more then they needed to live, except for a select few. My parents left me a large sum of money when they died, which the mayor took and used to help me grow. I got a good education, and lived with one of the mayor's maids. When I turned fourteen, I got myself a house and lived alone. Myself and Alex have been good friends for as long as I can remember, and he's the closest thing I have to family.
Especially now.
There were few mages in the village, all of which studied magic for a long number of years before even considering casting a spell. But I can feel that Aceon is different. My magic has improved twofold since arriving here, which hasn't yet come in handy, but It is interesting to know. Just before night, when we were set to leave, I went out cutting some wood. I was almost finished when I heard a scream from afar. It was coming from our house. Suddenly, images of that night came flooding back to me. The night the village burned down. The night the children, the women and the men that I knew so well all ran in fear. The night we lost everything, but each other.
I already found myself running back to the house.
I hadn't realised I was holding my breath until I had to gasp for air.
Oh, please, don't let it be him.
Please don't let another one die.
Please.
But when I got there, there's a figure lying in the snow in front of our house, with a dagger in his back.
And it isn't Alex.
It's an old man.
Heaton Gremore

Ragolution

FOREWORD
Skills are what one person has to differentiate himself from the others. With sill  a person can show what he has learned, what his life was like and what was gleaned from that oh-so-difficult life. The son of a farmer might be stronger than your average citizen, just as a scholar's apprentice would be more intelligent, whereas a squire would be more knightly and so on. No book would  be complete without an index, and a foreword, just for you dear reader, so here it is. Now in this book we will answer your question of 'What the fuck are skills?"

INDEX

SECTION I - OVERVIEW
SECTION II - THE FIVE SCHOOLS
SECTION III - GUILE
SECTION IV - GENIUS
SECTION V - MANA
SECTION VI - VIGOR
SECTION VII - PIETY

Overview

Skills are powers; Something you might have or might have. You might have been born with your skills or mayhaps they took your entire life to develop and train. Do your skills enhance your body? Do they manipulate the world around you? Are they your powers, alone, or did someone teach you them? All of these questions must be answered when analyzing your own skills. Each person has a Skill "Archtype". Each Archtype or School has its own methods or means of procedure. Someone of the School of Vigor will have an entirely different solution to a problem than say, someone schooled in Mana or Magic.

As a rule, each person has an "Energy" pool. Each Archtype has a different type of energy, based on their archtype's name. Archtype mixing is not unheard of but, overall, most skill schools are exclusive. A person who has trained to be a Master of vigor their entire life will likely not be able to grasp the school of Genius or Mana. People introduced to one school of skill will be stymied in their advance within other archtypes. Every person has exactly 300 Skill Points. Back in the ancient eras, Wizards call this a 'Mana Pool'. Masters of Mana will still refer to and commonly use this draconian misnomer but it is widely appreciated as the first instance of 'skill' being manifested.

A person who undertakes two schools of skill inherits only a reduced benefit from the undertaken school, but exhibits the full caveat for it. For example, a Genius who takes on the school of Guile will become 50% more swift, but 100% more fragile. Each school has its own preference for a secondary school of skill or a tertiary school.

Each step away from the inherent skill of a person reduces that skill's effectiveness by 25%. A skill that is directly neighbor to your skill has a potential of 75%. One that is adjacent to that has a potential effectiveness of 50%. The next skill is your contrasting skill and always has a potential of 0%.

You do not exhibit any traits of a skill school unless you have undertaken at least some training in that skill. As such, you cannot gain benefits or drawbacks from a skill you are not trained in and have not listed on your resume.

The Five Schools of Skill

The Five Schools are commonly referred to as this:

The School of Genius - This Archtype focuses on the human/humanoid mind and the secrets that it hold. Genii are master inventors and scholastics unparalelled. A Genius will be often found tinkering in his lab or out in the field researching a topic that has earned his interest. Genii often utilize technology to aid them, and commonly invent their own methods of self-defense. The caveat of the Genius is that anything he has invented cannot be used by a non-Genius. A device used by a non-genius has a 80% chance to fall to piece in the user's hands.

The School of Mana - This Archtype focuses on the magic essence floating freely through the world inside of the magical plane called the Ether. The Mage draws his energy from the Ether and moulds the pure energy into spells and cantrips. This is probably the most well-known archtype and mages will often be taught their craft by other mages. The caveat of the mage is that his spells often fail when used against technological devices and Genii. A spell cast by a Mage can manipulate nearly anything and a purely destructive spell will not suffer from this caveat, but often times a spell directed at a technological device will produce an unintended result.

The School of Piety - This Archtype looks to the heavens and invokes the power of Gods to aid the human(oid) with their holy Might. Each of the Pious selects a god to worship from the infinite pantheons of Aceon and devotes his or her life to that God's service. Though each god has its own code of conduct, many Pious construct monasteries or chapels in order to serve the community with their God's message or ideas. The caveat of the Pious is that prayers do not always get answered. More often than not, a God will deign that a prayer is not pious enough, even with the most devout or sacrificial of rituals being performed. The School of Piety is not restricted to holiness. Some Pious worship demons, ideas or even extraterrestrials.

The School of Vigor - The Archtype of vigor looks within the human(oid) body and sees each muscle within. The Vigorous seek to perfect their body in one way or another. A vigorous person will have exception running speed, massive strength, the ability to leap thousands of inches into the air or survive cataclysmic damage to their body. Vigorous people can also channel their own skill to heal others and induce them with their vigor. The caveat of the vigorous is that their lifespan shortens extremely as their skills are used more and more. A person who is constantly using his vigor will reduce his life by 75%. Each 'point' of vigor consumed reduces the user's lifespan by one day.

The School of Guile - The Archtype of Guile is the holy grail of skills for thieves, rogues and assassins. Those with guile can lurk in shadows unnoticed, walk silently on broken glass and metal bells, then walk straight up a wall without any assistance. The rogue is the perfect infiltrator and often times can be the perfect explorer. Guile can also anoint the skilled with a penchant for bowmanship and fencing. The caveat of Guile is frailty. Those who exhibit traits of guile will often be born with a degenerative bone condition or have a low tolerance for pain.

When a character is given Skill, you can decide how many "Skill Points" you want to put into each school of learning.

First you must decide your "Primary Skill". In this example, we'll use Piety.

Every person starts with 300 skill points. The way you distribute those is entirely up to you. Each 'point' you put into each school is then averaged using the Skill Potential chart.

If this person put 200 points into Mana as a Pious person, he would have 150 total Mana Points and 100 points left over.

Ragolution

Extraordinary Character Skill Application Thread

Players will utilize this thread to catalogue all abilites their character has outside of the normal skillset.
All character skills must be submitted as an application for them to be approved by a Super Moderator, an Admin or an Application Manager.
READING THE GUIDE THREAD IS ESSENTIAL TO A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION
http://www.forums.hypergamer.net/locations-places/(book)-what-the-fuck-are-skills/

ONLY POST ONE APPLICATION. If you need to modify your application, EDIT YOUR POST and then make a new post saying "I UPDATED MY APPLICATION". The only one who should be posting in this thread more than once is the person approving applications.

If you post a second fucking application I will delete it and ignore you until you do it right

Disclaimer; ALL ADMINS, MODERATORS AND SUPERVISORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SUSPEND YOUR "SKILL/ABILITY LICENSE" FOR ANY PERIOD OF TIME.

My Account:
Character Name:

Primary Skill:
Point Distribution:
Skills/Spells:

nhart96

What is the point of the destiny skill archetype? It is on the chart but isn't explained.

Maxi96203

ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Ragolution

Maxi96203

Quote from: Ragolution on 01-06-2012
Quote from: Maxi96203 on 01-06-2012
Aceon the RP-G

Don't like it?

I don't think a skill tree should really be introduced into a Minecraft Roleplay.
I have my criticisms but it's not an inherently terrible thing. I can see the pros.
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Ragolution

Quote from: Ragolution on 01-06-2012
Aceon the RP-G

Don't like it?

I don't think a skill tree should really be introduced into a Minecraft Roleplay.
I have my criticisms but it's not an inherently terrible thing. I can see the pros.

The main purpose of this was to allow people to all have extraordinary abilities. For the longest time, wizards were the master race and this was one of the ways to rectify it. While I'm not particularly fond of inducing RPG elements to Aceon, this system keeps itself in a green area that allows creativity while making sure that no one person can tool around killing anything that moves. It also does away with the whole "ALL OR NOTHING" mentality of the old magic system. If you're one thing, you can now be another thing with a penalty.