Let's get this straight!

Started by meldin, 12-10-2011

meldin

I'm writing this because quin should should of had somethig like this pinned to the forum about a couple months a go at least.

This is an RP server. When you're Rping as a certain character, you have a certain job, personality and background. This should be set throughout the lifetime of your character. When yo go against this. (ex. Mining when not a miner, building when you're not a carpentor/stonemason, speaking on your own experiences and personality instead of your character's, etc.) is called Metagamming. I FUCKING HATE METAGAMMING. Plus meta gamming ruins RPing for everyone else, especially when it's Roleplaying in a city (because of the economy). Quin is right, This is a Roleplaying server, not a minecraft server. If you came just to build/mine/ do just minecraft things all time, then leave! This is not the server for you, and that's your fault, not Quin's.

On another note, if you don't like your character, than kill it off. It's easy for you to break the IC law and have yourself executed. But don't choose job that a lot of people have. Choose a carrier unique and that hasn't been taken by 4 other people. Because if everyone's a miner or a lumberjack or even a Guard, then the whole system fails. And we're left with a non-functioning RP server and a VERY angry Quin_Tasin.

Demonizer877

http://www.forums.hypergamer.net/minecraft-aceon-medieval-roleplay/also-as-important-as-ragolutions-1-8-update-thread/

Why couldn't you have just added this into your other topic? Anyway I would prefer if this system was a little more leniant. Although I know that it won't happen...
Awesomeness is the best trait one can have

meldin

Because this needed to be repeated and not sit in the back of the forums. And if it were more lenient, then we would have metagamming. Now, i have played on a server which the rules were more lenient, but it failed miserably. Nobody roleplayed to often, they just mined and roleplayed only when they needed to trade for other good. For now, the system NEEDS to be more lenient. But as soon as there is a higher player flow, then It's gonna have to become strict or nobody's going to roleplay. And I will leave this server for the second time.

N3gativezero

If you can't mine if your character isn't a "miner" and you can't build if your character isn't a "carpenter", why have the server in Minecraft? Minecraft is minecraft. It's a game about building things, punching down trees, and trying not to get killed by the creepist comming up behind you. It is not, infact, a game about having an "economy". The idea of an economy in a server is ridiculous, and near impossible to pull off unless you have a dozen Nazi moderators pruning the server and making sure the carpenter doesn't break a stone block, and that the guard continues to sit AFK at a gate like he should, because heaven forbid someone doesn't do what they're supposed to and the price of diamond pants sky rockets because the miner was making a tool instead of breaking stone blocks. People have jobs IRL, honestly the idea of playing a game to have a second job and a second shot at life seems kinda sad. Speaking of which, there's a great game called "real life", where you can do everything that you do in this server and more! It's got next-generation graphics, physics that replicate the world's EXACTLY, and the best part is, everyone recieves a free copy when they're born! What a deal!
To loot, lulz and SCIENCE!

emperor bobby

Negative Zero summed it up quite nicely. If you want a server based on economy, which has better graphics, and is much better then Aceon, try Exile's Crussaria project, it's basically what this server tries to achieve, but done in gmod, so it's better tuned for it, and is built much better. honestly, it's a great server, but not too many people play on it, mostly because you need several people on at a tiem for anything to happen, and most people don't want a 2nd job when they have one in real life, like negative said.

Feerman

Quote from: emperor bobby on 14-10-2011
Negative Zero summed it up quite nicely. If you want a server based on economy, which has better graphics, and is much better then Aceon, try Exile's Crussaria project, it's basically what this server tries to achieve, but done in gmod, so it's better tuned for it, and is built much better. honestly, it's a great server, but not too many people play on it, mostly because you need several people on at a tiem for anything to happen, and most people don't want a 2nd job when they have one in real life, like negative said.

While I stay true to MC, and think the rules with the thing are a bit tight, I will continue to play. This server is great, and the people are too. The rules are as they are, can't be changed unless you're the "the Big Man". Which is Port, or Port's.... Friend, I guess that would be the correct term. Anyways, a plugin called "Day Jobs" which gives these jobs are being installed, in honesty I don't think everyone likes it, but would learn to be with it.

In terms of the Crussaria server, I might just have to look at that.

RanmaChan

No, Bobby and Negative, you do not understand.  This is a roleplaying server which uses the medium of Minecraft with which to play.

On World of Warcraft roleplay servers you do not go on raids or fight in PvP battlegrounds.  In StalkerRP, FalloutRP, or HalfLife2RP (which use the medium of Garrysmod), you do not build weird machines, or buildings, or pose models and make videos like you do in regular applications of Garrysmod, you roleplay.  This is not a server where you play Minecraft.  This is a server where you roleplay in the medium of Minecraft.  Yes, we can take advantage of it by creating a city, creating an economy, and doing all the different things that we can normally do with Minecraft, but the point of the server is not to be a monster-slaying-farmer-precious-gem-mining-wizard, it is to roleplay a character in the fantasy world created.

We do not want bullshit and completely unbelievable characters being created in our world, just like in StalkerRP you don't have godlike characters created who can do what ever they want.  Even if the medium or setting is slightly unbelievable (fantasy or science fiction, or even post-apocalypse) we still want detailed characters with depth, skills, and personality.  No one can literally do in real life what you can do in the regular application of Minecraft, with the added things such as being a doctor, wizard, businessman, et cetera.

That is just how I see it.
"If you don't expect gratitude, you'll seldom be dissapointed."

OldManRikdo

Quote from: RanmaChan on 15-10-2011
No one can literally do in real life what you can do in the regular application of Minecraft, with the added things such as being a doctor, wizard, businessman, et cetera.

lol, like the fact you can break a solid stone wall with your bare hands... from 4 meters away

RanmaChan

Quote from: OldManRikdo on 16-10-2011
Quote from: RanmaChan on 15-10-2011
No one can literally do in real life what you can do in the regular application of Minecraft, with the added things such as being a doctor, wizard, businessman, et cetera.

lol, like the fact you can break a solid stone wall with your bare hands... from 4 meters away

I think Arch had this as his forum avatar for a time.

Lol, so overused, but appropriate in this situation.
"If you don't expect gratitude, you'll seldom be dissapointed."