[UnLore][Magic] A new magic system - WIP

Started by Edvyn, 19-11-2011

Edvyn

I've been doing some thinking, brainstorming about how the updated server will function when it comes to roleplay. Naturally, magic comes into the lore somewhere, and I figured that magic should be a little more interesting than fireballs and forcefields. In real-world medieval europe, there was a plethora of different ways people practiced magic, and it certainly wasn't a matter of pointing your finger to make something happen. It was highly ritualistic, with a focus on long ceremonies and ominous atmospheres. With this in mind, I've attempted to replicate some of these methods in a high fantasy setting with some basic tweaks due to magic actually working. Mana and other generic rubbish that has only served to make magic less magical has been thrown out the window. Magic, in my system, will be split into a series of broad groups based on the style/culture of the magic and its purpose. Here are the groups I've thought of so far:

Witchcraft - Stooped in the old ways of nature worship, witchcraft deals with the arts of sympathetic magic. Witches are infamous for their ability to cast misfortune and disease upon those who anger them, utilizing primitive charms, poppet dolls, poisonous brews and ghastly totems in subtle yet life-ruining spells. Witches are often solitary, tending to be either shamans or local cunning folk who live as hermits. Unlike the demonologists, who learn their craft through studying ancient books, Witches tend to be taught through family tradition and reliance on the primal forces of nature. This puts them at odds with their more "civilised" counterparts. While competent magicians, Witches are also skilled herbalists, capable of producing powerful natural remedies and poisons. The tools of witchcraft include such things as Elf Arrows - flint arrowheads used in evil eye-like curses, animal and human sacrifice, totems and scrolls.

Demonology - This deals with the summoning, binding and banishing of otherworldly beings. It's usually referred to not by the name "Demonology" but by "Invocation" or "Evocation", names derived from the particular types of beings summoned. An invoker conjures his servants through mutual respect or common goals, said servants being similar to the angels and archangels of judeo-christian myth. An evoker must rely on clandestine pacts, binding and faustian deals to keep his less-than-friendly minions on a tight leash. In terms of methods, thaumaturgy is quite rigorous. Binding circles must be drawn, complex hand signs must be made, true names and occult languages must be chanted, sigils must be painted. In many cases, offerings must be made to the entities summoned, placing a heavy material price on bridging the way to other dimensions. Ritual tools would include such things as grimoires - magical textbooks, wands and ceremonial weapons. Demonology is the direct societal opposite of Witchcraft, basing itself on formal study rather than folk tradition. Many demonologists look down their noses at witches, seeing them as little more than petty hedgewizards. Demonology is often classed as "high magic" or "thaumaturgy", in opposition to the "low magic" of Witchcraft.

Divination - This is a combination of palm-reading, card-reading, crystal scrying, rune-reading and soothsaying. It is so commonly faked that people doubt that it even exists or works. There are genuine fortune-tellers who possess real magical talent, but they tend to be rare. Diviners, as a group of people, are incredibly diverse, ranging from local palmists to wise grey-haired prophets to practitioners of pyromancy - seeing the future in fire. Diviners are not only capable of seeing into the future, but also of communicating with the dead. There are some stories of powerful diviners raising the dead, bringing a degree of threat to these practices.

If you have some suggestions, post them here. I will accept constructive criticism, though any problems you've identified should be stated so I can fix them. This post was originally written when I was incredibly sleep-deprived, so if some things don't make a lot of sense you can blame it on that. Certain sections are longer than others - This is because I have yet to bring in more information for them.

Feerman

Defineately.
If Edmond will be re-appearing, he'll be my Clan Wizard.
No options.
He will be.