[Religion] The Vojidic Pantheon

Started by Edvyn, 21-11-2011

Edvyn

The Soldanlands are a culturally rich area, yet certain schools of religious thought have permeated the wider reaches of its society. Through mass conversion and immigration, the Vojidic gods, named after the chief god Vojid (voh-yid), have become well-known and worshipped by many. Hailing from the far east, priests of Vojid have set up temples all over Soldaria, teaching a basic principle upon which all other religious ideas are based: Gods are not immortal. Unlike the gods of other faiths, Vojid is presented as a powerful yet still flawed figure, very human and prone to failings despite his supernatural nature. While Vojid is not all-powerful, he is seen as more powerful than anything that resides in the physical realms, deserving of worship both for his gifts and possible wrath. The strangest element of this religion is that there is no creation myth - It is a faith of the present and future, not of the past. Vojid was not the first of the gods, but is seen as chief for the good he has done for Aceon's inhabitants.

In the ancient past, Giants ruled over much of Aceon, enslaving races such as humans and elves in their bid to rule over nature itself. They were an advanced and intelligent race, their sheer cruelty a result of finding new ways to torture the mind, body and psyche. Vojid is said to have come, in the form of an avatar, to free the slaves. He cursed the giants, reducing their vast empires to rubble, libraries to ash and technology to scrap. With the end of the age of giants, mankind and elfkind could flourish. As time went on, other gods surfaced - Vojid's family, allies and enemies. The pantheon worshipped in the Soldanlands is as follows:

Vojid (voh-yid) - The chief god, representative of freedom and change. While recognised by all followers, he holds great importance among political leaders, motivating them to use their power for good. Depictions of Vojid vary wildly, depending on social climate. In peacetime, he is a fatherly figure, a wise old man with a distinctive silver glint in his eyes and no hair on his head, face or body. In times of war, he is a fierce, terrifying sword-wielding warrior god with long white hair and beard, stained red with the blood of his enemies. In both depictions, however, he is clad in a black fur cloak and gold armour, the cloak symbolising the sky and shining gold representing the sun.

Murnda (moo-ruh-n-dah) - Vojid's wife, the goddess of life and death. It is said that she can see into and manipulate the workings of fate and fortune. Worship of Murnda is seen as important among farmers, for the well-being of their crops and livestock. Generally, Murnda is depicted as a two-faced woman, one side brown-haired, young and beautiful and the other a deathly pale old crone with white hair, wearing simple brown robes.

Vojurn (voh-yuh-oor-n) - The only son of Vojid and his wife Murnda, born after the defeat of the giants. As the fledgling civilisations progressed, there rose a need for order and cohesion. Vojun is the god of order, a reminder to respect one another and to adhere to the law. He is depicted much differently to his father, appearing as a stern, middle-aged man with long black hair, no beard and no eyes, empty sockets quite visible. It is suggested that his lack of eyes symbolises the idea that no opinion should be above the law, and that truth should never be distorted. Like his mother, he wears robes, but they are more opulent and carry a distinctive green hue. Around his neck hangs a pearl pendant suspended on iron chain, symbolising the moon. This is, of course, to compare him to his father, showing him as the steward or housekeeper while the sun is down.

Acitoach (Ah-see-toe-ack) - Lord over the constantly shifting fabric of our universe and all universes, Acitoach represents history and the ever-distant past that existed before Vojid's emergence. Some see him as a god of time, one of the few gods of the giants that chose to make Vojid an ally. Acitoach's standing as an outsider in Vojid's family is further emphasised by his focus on the past, incredibly odd behaviour for a Vojidic god. Followers who treat Acitoach in high regard tend to be outsiders in their own societies, be they foreigners or sorcerers. Depictions of Acitoach vary, though the most well-known image is that of a thin, yet incredibly tall man wearing a dark blue robe decorated with all the languages of the world in wildly varying colours. This fits his status among the giants as a god of writing. A mask of wrapped leather covers his face, possibly symbolising the keeping of occult (secret, hidden) knowledge.

As time goes on, more gods can be added, as this religion is constantly changing with world events. If you wish to suggest or create a god, however, do not give it a really specific purpose like "god of magic, wizards worship him" - Gods in this pantheon must have multiple dimensions to them and feel somewhat relatable.

Ragolution

The Lost Faith of the Ancient Ages
Lacrimevi Eheu Oratamur, Humilit Effervarum

The Two Great Beings
Zeavolath, the Goddess of the Heat, Day and the Hearth, is somewhat plain, with ebony skin, long, flowing black hair, and eyes the color of shining silver. She is medium height and slightly plump, and generally has a blissful expression. She usually wears elegant clothing dyed violet.

She is also associated with youth, the future and runaways. She is often worshipped by men. Her many followers can be primarily distinguished by the holidays they observe. There are more than a few temples to her in meadows. There are many myths involving her rough relationship with Idatim. She is the daughter of Troavel. She is known to give aid to great mortal leaders.

Julur, the God of Death Rites, the Cold and Night, is very plain, with pale skin, long, light brown hair, and eyes the color of storm clouds. He is medium height and slightly plump, and often seems sullen. He usually wears light armor dyed pale orange and medium red.

He is also associated with disease, the past and lovers. He is often worshipped by warriors. His few, but dedicated followers can be primarily distinguished by the way they conduct themselves. There are a small number of offerings to him near bridges. There are many myths involving his affair with Shiphineth. He is the son of Shiphineth. He is known to help distressed mortals.

Supporting Deities
Troavel, the Goddess of Oaths, Spring and Trust, is somewhat plain, with olive skin, long, wavy dark brown hair, and eyes the color of fresh growth. She is very tall and of average build, and almost never frowns. She usually wears light armor dyed light green.

She is also associated with nightmares, fish and cities. She is often worshipped by commoners. Her almost fanatical followers can be primarily distinguished by the holidays they observe. There are many shrines to her in small villages. There are many myths involving her vast travels with Chotaelra. She is the mother of Zeavolath. She is known to place challenges before great mortal heroes.

Idatim, the Goddess of Fog, Hope and Summer, is eerily beautiful, with copper skin, waist length, pale red hair, and eyes the color of dark earth. She is tall and very muscular, and tends to look sad. She usually wears rich robes dyed black and dark red-violet.

She is also associated with crossroads. She is often worshipped by lawbreakers and brigands. Her many followers can be primarily distinguished by the charms they carry with them. There are a respectable amount of carvings of her on islands. There are many myths involving her daring adventures with Julur. She is the cousin of Nunocu. She is known to send visions to epic mortal heroes.

Shiphineth, the Goddess of Winter, Astronomy and the Moon, is quite beautiful, with moon-white skin, long, straight alabaster hair, and eyes the color of dark rubies. She is surprisingly short and very muscular, and often appears dissonant. She usually wears robes dyed dark grey and dark blue.

She is also associated with lust, science and wishes. She is often worshipped by the wealthy. Her many followers can be primarily distinguished by their tattoos. There are a respectable amount of altars dedicated to her in most cities. There are many myths involving her ill-fated romance with Idatim. She is the sister of Chotaelra. She is known to give some help to great mortal leaders.

Chotaelra, the Goddess of Secrets, Blindness and Judgement, is surprisingly ugly, with pale skin, short, wiry gray hair, and eyes the color of bluejay eggs. She is short and frail, and usually has a peaceful expression. She wears simple robes dyed beige and blue-black.

She is also associated with justice, messengers and dance. She is often worshipped by magic-users. Her few followers can be primarily distinguished by the rites they perform. There are widespread depictions of her near lakes. There are many myths involving her scandalous relationship with certain mortals. She is the wife of Troavel. She is known to help great mortal leaders.

Nunocu, the Goddess of Death and Autumn, is very beautiful, with tanned skin, long, flowing white hair, and eyes the color of purple flames. She is of average height and very slender, and is usually laughing. She usually wears light armor coated in golden leaves.

She is also associated with thieves, wisdom and the dearly departed. She is often worshipped by merchants. Her vast flocks of followers can be primarily distinguished by their daily prayers. There are numerous carvings of her at crossroads. There are many myths involving her great debates with Shiphineth. She is the cousin of Troavel. She is known to give some help to mortal leaders.

meldin

Maar and Niir are a couple from a village in the land of true darkness. They left for the normal realm, seeking refuge from alienation.
I'll be playing the role of Maar, but am gonna need another person to play Niir

If anyone wants to play as a dark elf, and is willing to RP as a couple with me, then here is the skin for it:

Feerman

:-\
Just no.
Just... just no.

CPftw

pffft

meldin

I knew people were ganna say something like that.

Arefu_Roo

A few things popped up in my head as soon as I read it. First, I thought "Oh fuck, Jag really is starting to miss FOS a bit too much", second, what the fuck does the, uhhhh, (The way I saw this is "lore", meaning I dont have a fucking clue who or what the fuck the people, Maar and Niir are supposed to do, lore-wise(most likely elven shit, since they're dark elves), and third, what Feer said, just.............................just...................nnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [End of random rambles of a random person]
Random guy who loves playing Minecraft

meldin

Really, i don't miss fos that much, it was just really boring to RP without her.
As for this, i just thought that I could write a really nice backstory with these characters, I just need someone else to be the other character....

Arefu_Roo

In my mind I still think/know that you miss FOS, and second what the fuck are Maar and Niir supposed to do lore-wise?

meldin

Since they would probably be the only Dark elves on the server, their lore would be that they left the realm of True darkness in seeking refuge from the alienation of their peers.
Well, Maar would have and Niir, his girlfriend would go after him.

Arefu_Roo

I wonder if anyone's gonna play Niir, or who for that matter, most likely Jordan, what would you do if a male did play Niir?

meldin

Your have to realize that I'm not actually dating the person who is playing the character, as long as They can play a good girl character i don't care. But I would prefer if it was a girl.....

Feerman

Quote from: meldin on 24-11-2011
Your have to realize that I'm not actually dating the person who is playing the character, as long as They can play a good girl character i don't care. But I would prefer if it was a girl.....

Uh.
2 girls on the server.
As FOS is gone.
Fluff, I doubt.
And Sketch, I highly doubt.
Good luck on being gay.

meldin

Quote from: meldin on 24-11-2011

You know what? Scratch that, if no girl wants to do this, im just gonna go back to being Epeataro, or maybe change the lore of Maar...

Edvyn

They say no woman will do this...

I am no woman.

I will play the role of your waifu.

I know all about women, I read Hagar the Horrible

Ragolution

Quote from: Edvyn on 24-11-2011

This Kangaroo speaks wisdom.

Arefu_Roo

The 13 year old Russkii dies with laughter. And Jag, I don't mean to sound like a penis but I honestly doubt this was even going to work in any way, mostly since it's going to, literally, be a gay lore thingy majig, wahtever you would call it.

Feerman

Quote from: Ragolution on 24-11-2011
Quote from: Edvyn on 24-11-2011

This Kangaroo speaks wisdom.

lol

2ktaco

I opened this thread looking for some good lore. Then, I found something better. When I saw the remarks about the homo drow I lol'd, rofl'd, and lmao'd all in one. Good luck on your ......... thingy.