[Lore][Race] Merfolk

Started by 2ktaco, 12-03-2012

2ktaco

Merfolk: Children of the Seas
*From the veiw point of Rupert Bahn, an aristocrat from a coastal village. He was brought to the Apanonan Halls, the first and, only humans to ever set foot th
ere*
Creation:

The Merfolks origin is very vague, even to the most studied of Apanonan Lore Masters. It is said that there where many scrolls kept in the dry-vaults of the old kingdom before the great cataclysm but, all where lost. The only shread of history pertaining to creation that I have found is a rhyme tucked away in a very dusty tome, the name of which is translated to "Apanonan Verse".
From what I could translate it runs like this:
Shaped of the sea, Wrought of the deep fires
Blessed of the sea, Breathing in its life giving flow
Protectors of the sea, Embattled against the Deep Scourge
Rulers of the sea, None stand above them
(It sucks I know  :P )
The Apanonan species is split into two distinct types, Full Blood and, Half Bloods.
Fullbloods:
Childhood: From birth, the younglings are set to train in a feild selected by the Council of Youth Development. Their life is very regimented and, their career is chosen just after their eighth birthday. Some will be trained and, pressed into service in the Apanonan Guard to battle with the Deep Scourge. While others will either be set to work in the coral feilds or, set to study with the Lore Masters. The life of an Apanonan youngling is filled with constant study or, labour with no hope of personal freedom, save for the scholar trainees.
Adulthood: After their training, the youngling are honored with a festival to celebrate their coming of age and, are awarded with a tad bit more freedom. They are now allowed property ownership and, a daily break from their labours. During this stage, Apanonans look to make a name for themselves be it through military prowess or, through the publication of a new study on sea life. Unlike the Guardsmen or, Scholars though, adulthood changes little for the working class.
Retirement: After their terms of service are completed, varying respectivley based on the profession, An Apanonan is given the chance to retire. Guardsmen are given homes for their familes and, Workers are given a dowery to do with what the wish. Scholars however are not permitted to retire and, will serve their term until death.
Physical: A Full Blood is a purely water based creature. They have a large set of gills set over a small set of lungs. The lungs of an Apanonan usually die from under use before they reach adulthood but, a Full Blood who spends his childhood on land will have hefty set of lungs, allowing him to stay ashore for an hour or, two before returning to the nearest source of saltwater. The bones of an Apanonan are harder than Human bone, as they must withstand the pressure of deep sea living. Apanonans are covered in scales and, may have fins on their head/calves/forearms/back and, sometimes even a tail. All Full Bloods are a deep blue/ sea green in color
Half Bloods:
Life on Land: Half Bloods are the freak result of a Human/Apanonan cross1. They are shunned by the Full Blood community and, would not be allowed into the Apanonan cities even if they could survive at that pressure level. Their childhood is a freakish mockery of whatever the norm is for their area. Adulthood brings a slight upward change in the way that they can prove themselves in a choosen profession, usually sailing or, fishing. Retirement finds Half Bloods wandering from place to place as hermits, or settled down to die in peace.
Physical:Half bloods take on most of the traits of their Human parent, save the scaley nature of their skin and, their small set of lungs which rest snugly under their larger lungs. Most have what appears to be the beginnings of a dorsal ridge along their spine and, a small ridge atop their skull.
*To sum it up Full Bloods are haughty and, very disiplined while Half Bloods are awkward and, free spirited.*

RanmaChan

Pretty good.  Would have liked it if you sent it in a PM to me first to have it looked over, but this will do nicely.  You think you can add in pictures of the skin you made to the main post?
"If you don't expect gratitude, you'll seldom be dissapointed."

2ktaco

Quote from: RanmaChan on 12-03-2012
Pretty good.  Would have liked it if you sent it in a PM to me first to have it looked over, but this will do nicely.  You think you can add in pictures of the skin you made to the main post?
Oh yeah, sorry about that. I was thinking you were going to eat my soul so I hurried to speice this thing together.

Marja Bien, first played fishman ^ You cant really see the fin-like ears but, they're there. He's a Full Blood but, most FB's wear like loin cloths or, things of that sort.