Apothecary's Journal

Started by Shadow207, 03-12-2012

Shadow207

(OOC: Thought this would help, I have way too much practice with this on Minecraft PVP Servers)
The cover of the book reads "Drake Sparhawks Apothercarial Journal"

Glossary

• A batch of potions is three bottles of potions.
  • Glowstone will make a potion more potent, but richer, use this with caution, to much may cause Potion Poisoning
  • Redstone seems to elongate the potions effect, useful for some potions.
  • Netherwart is a rare sight, since it grows in the nether, but if you make a hothouse with soulsand in it, you may be able to grow it on the Overworld
  • Make fermented spider eye by letting the spider eye sit with some sugar and a Brown mushroom.
  • And please, take my word for it, using other potion bases such as Mundane or Thick potions is a waste of resources and time.
  • Golden Carrot is basically what its name suggests, a carrot covered with gold.
  • Gunpowder changes the solution to react to skin, at the cost of a bit of power, except when it comes to Health potions, this makes healing processes faster
Chapter 1
(Note: These are common potions)
I have recently taken on the hobby of brewing Potions, and serving as an Apothecary to some, this has been interesting.
In this journal, of my many journals, I will be recording my findings.

First and foremost, the best beginners potion, Awkward Potion, no grand effect as this potion is a potion base, you can make any potion with this base, so it is suggested you start making a farm for the ingredients straight away.
This potion seems to make the drinker socially awkward.

Ingredients for Batch of Awkward Potion

• 3 Water Bottles
  • 1 Netherwart
Process

• Insert Water Bottles into your Brewing stand
  • Place Netherwart in Ingredient Slot

Instant Health

(There are two sketchings of a man with a gnarly gash across his chest, and the second of the potion being poured upon it.)
(Nickname: Medicine)

Ingredients for one batch of Health Potion

• 3 Awkward Potions
  • 1 Sparkling Melon (Put a gold nugget over a melon)
  • (OPTIONAL)
  • 1 Glowstone (Heals 8 hearts instead of 4)
Process

• Fill brewing stand with 3 Awkward Potion
  • Add Sparkling Melon to Ingredient slot. (Note: the Sparkling Melon seems to have minor healing powers, but cannot be consumed without the potion.)
  • Wait for brewing to finish.
  • (OPTIONAL)
  • Add Glowstone Dust to the new potions
  • Wait for brewing to finish

Potion of Weakness

(Note: This is more of a sedative, for patients who do not comply, it pains me to do such things, but i must.)
(Nickname: Catsnail)
Ingredients for one batch of Weakness Potion

• 3 Awkward Potions
  • 1 Fermented Spider Eye (Note: It seems the spider eye, as expected of such a gruesome thing, has a corrupting effect on potions, it will corrupt the effect of a healing potion, making it a Damage potion)
  • (OPTIONAL)
  • 1 Glowstone Dust (Opponent will be twice as sedated)
  • OR
  • 1 Redstone Dust (Makes effect last longer.)
  • 1 Gunpowder (Note: Gunpowder makes the solution react to skin, instead of drinking, good for forcing potions.)
Process

• Insert Awkward potions.
  • Insert Fermented Spider Eye
  • Wait for brewing to finish
  • (OPTIONAL)
  • After brewing, add Redstone or Glowstone Dust to ingredient slot.
  • Wait for brewing to finish.
By now i think you know the procedure, correct?
You put the Base Potions in the potion slots, and the ingredients in the ingredient slots, simple stuff, right?

Potion of Night Vision
(There is a sketching of a man with shining eyes in a cavern)
(Nickname: Eyebright)

Ingredients for one batch of Night Vision

• 3 Awkward Potions
  • 1 Golden Carrot (Note: Carrots really do improve your eyesight, eh?)
  • (OPTIONAL)
  • Redstone Dust
  • (Glowstone is useless on this one)

Potion of Invisibility

where did the assassin go?
(There is a sketch of the lower half of a man, and a half filled glass bottle being drank by the invisible upper half)
(Nickname: Assassins Drug)

Ingredients for one batch of Invisibility

• 3 Night Vision potions
  • 1 Fermented Spider eye (Note: As i said, this will corrupt the effect of the Nightvision potion.
  • (OPTIONAL)
  • Redstone Dust (Note: This will make it last more than twice as long.)

Potion of Regeneration

(Nickname: Kingsaver)

Ingredients for one batch of Regeneration

• 3 Awkward Potions
  • 1 Ghast Tear (Note: It is strange, this tear of a ghast seems to have amazing regenerative powers, fantastic, i will collect more for research on my next trip to the Netherworld
  • (OPTIONAL)
  • Redstone Dust
  • Glowstone Dust

Potion of Poison

(There is a sketch of a mans armour burning and breaking as his face and uncovered areas are doing the same) (Note: I know that I'm supposed to be a healer of sorts, but... This is necessary...) (Note 2: If drank, it will burn the victim from the inside out, much more effective.) (Note: This poison is almost a perfect mirror of Cytotoxic venom from Brown Recluse, except this solution is 10x the effect of the Cytotoxic Venom taken from Brown Recluse.)(Nickname: Death Medicine)

Ingredients for one batch of Poison

• 3 Awkward Potions
  • 1 Spider Eye
  • (OPTIONAL)
  • Redstone Dust
  • Glowstone Dust(Rec.)
  • Gunpowder (Note: Unless you have some way of forcing somone to take a bottle of death medicine, this is the only way.)

Chapter 2

I have found some Blaze rods, from slaying Blazes in the Netherworld, I originally meant to using these rods to make new Brewing Stations, but, it seems I have overlooked something last time I have found one of these, when touched with bare hands, it fills me with energy...
Bad energy, anger and hate and bloodlust, I immediately put them in my bag, it gave me a lurching feeling, as if those where the souls of the blazes I have slain...

I am intrigued by these rods, i kept two to save just for research, the other 3 i made into brewing stands.
I crushed one up with a Mortar and Pestle, and it made a fine powder very easily, this powder is extremely hot, and from the smell... spicy..?

In my research i made a new potion, one that can make a person have a major jolt of adrenaline, and make them more powerful, the potion has a very strange effect though, I will jot it down in a Sketching, I have named this potion, Ira Anima, which is a rough translation in latin to Angry Soul

Potion of Strength
(There is a sketch of a man with black eyes, wielding a sword)
(Nickname: Ira Anima)

Ingredients for one batch of Strength Potion

• 3 Awkward Potions
  • 1 Blaze powder
  • (Optional)
  • 1 Redstone dust
  • OR
  • 1 Glowstone dust
I have also mixed this powder with a Slime Ball, it has a fascinating effect when added to potions, it makes the user immune to heat, and fire, and even lava, I have nicknamed this potion Ignis Immunis, a rough translation of latin meaning Fire Immunity.

Potion of Fire Resistance
(There is a sketch of a man wading in a pool of lava)
(Nickname: Ignis Immunis)

Ingreidents for one batch of Fire Immunity

• 1 Slime ball
  • 1 Flame Powder
  • 3 Awkward Potions
  • (Optional)
  • 1 Redstone dust (Note: DO NOT USE GLOWSTONE DUST IN THIS POTION it has NO effect)

WIP

Maxi96203

i'm pretty sure this isn't alchemy

i might be wrong
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Shadow207

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 03-12-2012

i might be wrong
By video game standards it is.

Edit: Brewing potions might be correctly viewed as alchemy, due to it all being about chemical reactions from liquid, its basically medieval chemistry.
This more fantasy driven part of alchemy is for abnormal liquids that emit or make supernatural phenomenon

Maxi96203

Quote from: Shadow207 on 03-12-2012
Quote from: Maxi96203 on 03-12-2012

i might be wrong
By video game standards it is.

Edit: Brewing potions might be correctly viewed as alchemy, due to it all being about chemical reactions from liquid, its basically medieval chemistry.
This more fantasy driven part of alchemy is for abnormal liquids that emit or make supernatural phenomenon

i always thought that alchemy would be defined as combining two things to make a reaction that could not be explained

perhaps just calling it a chemistry guide or a potionmaking guide or an apothecary's handbook would be better

Shadow207

*snip*
I like the last suggestion, thank you.
I might put more of a roleplay element into it, trying to explain why the ingredients make those potions, and making it more of a Journal type thing in my free time.

Ragolution

Personally:

I call it either Apothecary or Herbalism.

Or potionology?

I'm pretty sure Blizzard is to blame for the misconception that alchemy is some kind of namby-pamble tea-brewer's sport.

Shadow207

Quote from: Ragolution on 03-12-2012
Personally:

Or potionology?

I'm pretty sure Blizzard is to blame for the misconception that alchemy is some kind of namby-pamble tea-brewer's sport.
Along with Bethesda, fuckin skyrim and oblivion man.

Ragolution

Personally:

Or potionology?

In their defense, WoW has been around and is more popularized and perpetuated than TES

Shadow207

Quote from: Ragolution on 04-12-2012
Personally:

Or potionology?

In their defense, WoW has been around and is more popularized and perpetuated than TES
I guess so, but in my opinion TES > WoW
Probably not the mmo, since that one might suck ass, but you know.

CPftw

Surely this only matters if your character is an apothecary, in which case you should already know the potion recipes before being an apothecary. Even if you don't the recipes are all on the wiki...
pffft

Shadow207

Quote from: CPftw on 04-12-2012
Surely this only matters if your character is an apothecary, in which case you should already know the potion recipes before being an apothecary. Even if you don't the recipes are all on the wiki...
This will help greatly for any characters that might want to be apothecaries, including mine, this can be used as a handbook in character.
I'll add the journalistic feel in a bit, just gotta get some things done.

CPftw

Quote from: Shadow207 on 04-12-2012
This will help greatly for any characters that might want to be apothecaries, including mine, this can be used as a handbook in character.
But the wiki has it all and you can just have a book and say *looks in journal* while looking at the wiki... It is a nice touch, I like the idea but I do not really see the point to it at the same time...
pffft

Shadow207

But the wiki has it all and you can just have a book and say *looks in journal* while looking at the wiki... It is a nice touch, I like the idea but I do not really see the point to it at the same time...
Maybe, but this will have IC Value, which i just added a sprinkle of, when i have more time on my hands i will add much much more, and finish the guide.

Ragolution

Maybe, but this will have IC Value, which i just added a sprinkle of, when i have more time on my hands i will add much much more, and finish the guide.

I think this would be better if you restyled it to be a instructional book. I remember I started to write a textbook for this purpose when the Thorn academy was prevalent, but I never finished it. I still liked the premise, though.

Shadow207

Quote from: Ragolution on 04-12-2012

I think this would be better if you restyled it to be a instructional book. I remember I started to write a textbook for this purpose when the Thorn academy was prevalent, but I never finished it. I still liked the premise, though.
Exactly, i want to make it either an apothecaries recordings of Potions or a simple instructional book

2ktaco

Dosent this go in the Profile/Lore section?

And Alchemy is like Full Metal Alchemist, potions are Herbalism

Shadow207

Quote from: 2ktaco on 04-12-2012

Maybe, im not sure, i guess if someone can move it there it might go good.

Full metal alchemist isn't really alchemy, but okay.

Maxi96203

Maybe, im not sure, i guess if someone can move it there it might go good.

Full metal alchemist isn't really alchemy, but okay.

transmuting = alchemy
alchemy = transmuting

Kokkaku Kishu

My only statement on the matter is this: while alchemy may have led to many medicinal and chemical advances, it and of itself is different from the making of potions. Alchemists' overall goal was to achieve the ability to take items of one value and transmute them into either gold or an elixir of infinite life (i.e. fountain of youth), with their overall goal being the creation of the "philosopher's stone", a rock capable of creating both of these from anything. If this is going to be the making of potions, i recommend renaming it to an Apothecary's Handbook

Maxi96203

Quote from: Kokkaku Kishu on 04-12-2012
My only statement on the matter is this: while alchemy may have led to many medicinal and chemical advances, it and of itself is different from the making of potions. Alchemists' overall goal was to achieve the ability to take items of one value and transmute them into either gold or an elixir of infinite life (i.e. fountain of youth), with their overall goal being the creation of the "philosopher's stone", a rock capable of creating both of these from anything. If this is going to be the making of potions, i recommend renaming it to an Apothecary's Handbook

in thread named apothecary's handbook

"I'D RECCOMEND RENAMING IT WHAT ITS ALREADY NAMED"

facepalm

Kokkaku Kishu

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 04-12-2012

facepalm

I swear the name was different when i posted o_O

Shadow207

Quote from: Kokkaku Kishu on 04-12-2012

facepalm
One sec, i need to find a medkit for my sides.

transmuting = alchemy
alchemy = transmuting
I meant touching shit and making circles like in FMA has nothing to do with REAL transmutation.

Ragolution

We're just discussing shit randomly now.

transmuting = alchemy
alchemy = transmuting
I meant touching shit and making circles like in FMA has nothing to do with REAL transmutation.

Grab your alembics, kids!

Shadow207

I will update this with new potions tomorrow, along with roleplay enhancements.

2ktaco

I would like to  note that, in roleplay, a splash potion of poison wouldnt do shit unless the targets mouth was open or, he had open wounds. The poison has to get to the blood stream. It might diffuse into the skin if left on an open patch for to long.

In short: ANY FAG TRYING TO USE A SPLASH POTION OF POISON IN RP WILL GET MY SWORD UP THEIR ASS PVP STYLE, or I'll just not count that shit unless I've been cut.