Mr. Tea's tutorial series - Simple room

Started by Tea, 14-08-2009

Tea

Hey, im Mr. Tea and today i will tell you how to make a simple room in Valve's Source SDK Hammer Tool (World Builder).

If you have Source SDK (You probably wont) then you will find it in the tools tab of STEAM.

If its not installed go ahead and do so. After you have opened Source SDK, the menu should look like this:

Use the settings for the Engine Version and Current Game (Warning: If you decide to use Episode Two for the engine, do not complain to me if things are differnent, this tutorial is using Episode 1), then double click Hammer Editor (Circled). After you have it should look like this:

To make the room, you need to make a new Valve Map File (VMF), to do this click File and select New. You should now have 4 screens, Camera, Top, Side, Front.

What you want to do now is select the Brush Tool then Click and Drag a square in the window named Top. The results:

You should see this, to make it an actual brush, right click and select "Create Object". After you have the lines should turn red, like so

Now if you wish to view your work of art, scroll over to the camera screen and click on the Camera text, a menu should appear. Select 3D Textured to see your block. After that it should look like this:

Not so much a work of art, but to get started you need to apply the Nodraw texture, Nodraw makes it so players cannot see it, reducing compiling times. Click on the Texture Tool , You should see this window pop up:

Its not recommended to mess with the settings, so just click Browse (Circled in Red), you should see this:

Before you mess with anything you see there, click the Filter box (Circled in Red) and type in Nodraw and this should pop up:

Now scroll over to the the Nodraw texture and double click. After that it will show you in the texture tool box that you have selected the Nodraw texture, just close out of that.

Now that you have done that, click the Selection Tool and select your Block either by clicking on it through the Camera view are the 3 other views. After you have select the Apply Current Texture Tool , Now you have textured your block

Now to get started on your walls (I resized my block to be a bit smaller, but you dont have to), First you have to lower the grid scale by clicking on this , click on that until its small enough to create a 8.0 size block. After you have done that select the Brush Tool . Walls are 8.0 thick, 128 units tall and can be as long as you want, it should look like this:

Do this until all but one wall is made. Make sure the walls overlap each other at the ends of them like this:

You can notice that white blue line thing going diagnoly on the end, well that is called the Clipping Tool , Now select a wall with the Selection Tool . Before you start clipping id like to explain how it works, Clipping tool cuts brushes in half or any way you like them, there are 3 modes (You can switch the clipping tool modes by clicking on the Clipping Tool) the main one cuts off and deletes (It shows you the part that is going to be deleted if its left in red, the part that stays will be white) half of the brush, 2 of the modes inverts wich part gets deleted, the third one makes it so both stay. Ok, so after you selected the wall, go to the end and click and drag across, to commit the clip hit Enter. It should look like this:

Do this to the intercepting ends of the walls. After that we go to the one wall we didnt place, we are going to make a door. select the brush tool and make a block 56 units long, 8 units thick and and 112 units tall like this:

Create the door, after that i want you to make walls around it like so

Then select the door you made and delete it so we have a nice hole in the wall.

Now we are going to make a frame for the door. The frames should be 8 units thick and and 4 units long, they should fit around that hole we made, make these frames around the door except for the bottom part. You should get this:

And after a few clips on the intercepting ends...

When thats done we are gonna make our REAL door, using prop_static. Select the Entity Tool and place one (You can only place entitys using the camera screen, so just left click where you want it) and make an entity. After that select the Entity you just made (Should look be a green man) and click propertys. You should see this

Now type in class (Circled in Red) prop_static and hit apply, then it should change to this

Select World Model and hit Browse (Circled in Red) you should see a model browser

In the filter type "Door" you should see alot of models but we are gonna stick with door01_left.mdl (NOTE: You can change the skin of the door in the propertys) Hit ok and we are done, exit out of the propertys menu and walla' our door is made. Now if you made your door frame right, it should fit snug like so

Were almost done! all we need to do now is texture our walls, door frame and floor. Select the Texture Tool and like before hit browse and type in the filter "wall" (Without the " ) and pick any wall texture you want. Do this with the floor too. Now instead of using Apply Current Texture, keep the texture tool window open and just right click (Using the camera window) on the walls, notice it only applys the texture to that surface instead of the whole brush. It should look like this

Oh no, but the texture is placed wrong an looks ugly. Dont worry, with the Texture Tool window still open mess with the Texture Shift Y setting (Circled in Red) until you got it placed and fit with your walls like this:

After you have textured your walls and door frame, your easy, simple room is complete!

Next tutorials will be on Windows, Openable doors and Lighting.

Example Map

deluxulous

A good tutorial. I tried to make a simple map with a floor, but when I created the block and attempted to texture it, it was invisible in game. Unless the Brush tool is different from the Block tool, I don't know how I fucked up :v

Tea

Quote from: PistolKid on 14-08-2009
A good tutorial. I tried to make a simple map with a floor, but when I created the block and attempted to texture it, it was invisible in game. Unless the Brush tool is different from the Block tool, I don't know how I fucked up :v

Did you texture it with the Nodraw texture? Remember that Nodraw is invisible in game, you or the other players cannot see a brush textured in Nodraw, just choose a different texture if so.

EDIT: Dont try to run your map without an info_player_start, also make sure you have a Skybox.

Dark Angel

We need a section for tutorials , i would add a bunch of them =D

deluxulous

Quote from: Mr. Tea on 14-08-2009
Quote from: PistolKid on 14-08-2009

Did you texture it with the Nodraw texture? Remember that Nodraw is invisible in game, you or the other players cannot see a brush textured in Nodraw, just choose a different texture if so.

EDIT: Dont try to run your map without an info_player_start, also make sure you have a Skybox.
I got both, I tried texturing it but apparently I failed. (NO IDEA HOW I GOT SKYBOX BUT AN INVISIVBLE FLOOR?)

Silver Knight

These are sine oretty giid tutorials Tea, ill probably move them over once Moddit is up.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

deluxulous

Quote from: Silver Knight on 24-08-2009
These are sine oretty giid tutorials Tea, ill probably move them over once Moddit is up.

sunr geoyt sood.

Locke

What the fuck is silver trying to spell

woodfin

I always crash trying to make shit.

Jazer

It is not necessary to no draw brush sides that are  even partially facing the void (black space outside the map.) since any part of the texture facing the void will be chopped out and no draw'd automatically.

Second, it is not necessary to use the vertex manipulator to touch up the walls like that, it is easier to align the textures that way, but harder to re-size the walls if needed.

Tea

Quote from: HostelEffect on 09-09-2009
Second, it is not necessary to use the vertex manipulator to touch up the walls like that, it is easier to align the textures that way, but harder to re-size the walls if needed.

Sorry for the late response, Its only hard to resize if you dont know how to use the little wonder called clipping tool ;)