General

• Human
  • Dwarven
  • Elven (Wood/Moon/High/Etc.)
  • Gnome
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Velspera

I've been thinking that it'd be good to compile a list of all major character races in the world of Caphori for new players.  Yeah, it's nice to come up with your own race of elf/human/mystical whatever, but after a while there's a chance that it will all get muddled and whatnot.  So, post here if your character is from a particular race and whether or not you'd like to SHARE that race as a possibility to others to join you in making their own characters and I'll edit the main post to include them and a note.  Also, post ideas for basic races that are a free-for-all, like humans, dwarves, etc.  If there is a special race I KNOW about but haven't gotten a comment from the creator yet, I'll LIST it, but note it as LOCKED unless asked to do otherwise.  Also, I'd like to compile a short background for each race type in the hopes that we can get a baseline for Caphori history and lore by determining just where these races all came from and what aspects about them are most important.

Kamimaia

If the races are being expanded this far (and there are WAY too many elves), then what am I to do with the Class Proposition? Some weapons are divvied up by race.

Velspera

:D I had that in mind, too!  We can list those here as well, as well as the general alignment for that race.

[Edit!] This will also give us a chance to come up with historical and cultural reasons behind why they use certain weapons, why they have this alignment, etc.

Kamimaia

Expanding it further than five races is a tad much, however- why become more specific than 'subtype'?

Velspera

Listing subtypes can be done, but they should still be listed all the same so that people understand what races/creatures are and are not in Caphori.  Weeding out races and subtypes is JUST as important as adding to the list.  So, if something shouldn't be there than someone should say so.  The main point, however, is to establish a background for each of them so that maybe we can get a solid history going that everyone can draw from.

And, so far, there is no telling just what mythical land each person playing on the server has come from.  This is a good chance to let our inner scribes out. :P

Kamimaia

Still not entirely sure what you mean as far as the Class deal goes, but I'll sit back and see what comes of it.

Velspera

This thread has nothing to do with class descriptions.  Only races.  Class information is separate and meant for the thread you made. :3

Noidness

I still need to decide a lot of what and who my character is :P
I've been a little bit of everything so far.

But yeah, I think it'd be good to have a directory of all known races, and so that people understand some are off-limits, so we dont end up with a bunch of Ael'Da'Rii or Sun-Elfs running around.

Blacklegend

A race you forgot

Whatever the fuck Moonshine is race.

Lord_Blair

Quote from: Blacklegend on 17-08-2011
A race you forgot

Whatever the fuck Moonshine is race.
That would be a fast aging cat thing.

Anthony

What about the Goblin race? It's possible for certain characters to be evil. Orcs?

Velspera

That's possible, yes.  So far, we don't have any explicitly evil races/factions.  Just evil individuals. But, we'd definitly need some backstory added for it. :3  Feel free to think of something if you'd like.

I'm already working on sorting out the history and details surrounding the Tariel, so I'm hoping others will offer their help in thinking up ideas for the other races.

Noidness

I don't know much about any, other than the generic ones.... I could try, though.

Souless Dark

The idea of an "all evil race" in a fantasy setting always bothered me. In fact, I honestly hate that idea. I mean, it's one thing for two or three races not to get along, but a single race being entirely/mostly evil, making enemies out of everyone else? Naa, that just ruins it for me, personally.

Kamimaia

I got an all-encompassing backstory for you lot.

Considering that everyone, for one reason or another, is actually *stranded* from the mainlaind. Maybe Caphori is just some sort of Australia, where unwanted individuals are sent by boat?

Given how much corruption we have and how many creatures wanna eat us and how many blood moons there are and how many meteors strike us (a bunch, and fairly often), its entirely possible that the widespread belief is that the island itself is cursed- criminals, mental cases and orphans, as well as anyone screwed over by the nobility is sent here to simply die.

How's THAT work?

Souless Dark

Noidness

That sounds terrible :/
I think caphori is a strange foriegn that is hidden in clouds of mist past an unforgiving ocean(krakens?) that nobody has ever been able to cross. The unfortunate souls who try to brave it either drown, or end up here.

Souless Dark

You mean like in The Lost Years of Merlin?

Noidness

Lost years of merlin? I'm afraid I don't follow. I agree on the meteors and blood moon parts of that explanation, though. Somebody told me after the orbs are gone it's a %1 chance every night of a meteor falling... One percent my ass....

Souless Dark

It's a series of books.

I rather like the Exile thing though, if you want though, the two could be combined. Something like this:

Originally Caphori was a barren land, cursed by the Gods/Divine/Whatever, and was used by the ancients as a sort of massive prison for anyone that they wished away. The land was then cultivated by these unwanted individuals, who then formed a small community, gathering together their knowledge and power to create a great nation on the cursed land, but ultimately being destroyed by the curse after much resistance. Now however, the land is mostly forgotten, and is more along the lines of legend then fact to the public, a legend that promises some sort of riches, be it ancient knowledge, fortune, or fame (bit of a cliché, I know). So now the fool hardy and brave set out to find it, few ever being able to reach it's shores, dying along the way. Finding it difficult to get back, they are mostly assumed dead by any that knew them on the mainland, so search parties are almost never sent.

Or something like that, what do you think?

Noidness

Yeah, sounds pretty good. I'd say that it would no longer be a prison, though, considering how the community is thriving.

Souless Dark

It isn't anymore, what I was saying was that the ancients used it as one, now it falls under the category of a forgotten world/land.

Velspera

:3  I think that's a great idea, Souless. 

We also want to keep in mind that Caphori doesn't just have to be summed up with the history of this map alone.  Who knows what other maps may be opened in the near/far future.  Caphori can easily become a world rather than just a continent.

Noidness

Yes, I like the concept of regions. It'd be awesome if they could prep a save, completely corruption from end to end.