Russia 'plans to stop asteroid'

Started by Silver Knight, 31-12-2009

Silver Knight

The head of Russia's federal space agency has said it will work to divert an asteroid which will make several passes near the Earth from 2029. Anatoly Perminov told the Voice of Russia radio service that the agency's science council would hold a closed meeting to discuss the issue. Any eventual plan is likely to be an international collaboration, he said.

The US space agency said in October that there is a one-in-250,000 chance of Apophis hitting Earth in 2036. That announcement was a significant reduction in the probability of an impact, based on previous calculations that put the chances at about one-in-45,000. The asteroid is estimated to pass within about 30,000 km of the Earth in 2029.

Mr Perminov, who is the chief of Roscosmos, gave little detail of any plans that the agency has, but was quoted by Interfax news agency as saying that the solution would not entail the use of nuclear weapons. Other schemes that have been put forth in the past for diverting asteroids from collision courses include spacecraft that nudge the space rocks out of their trajectory through force, or diverting them with "solar sails" that use the wind of particles ejected from the Sun.

"People's lives are at stake," Mr Perminov reportedly told the radio service Golos Rossii (Voice of Russia).

"We should pay several hundred million dollars and build a system that would allow us to prevent a collision, rather than sit and wait for it to happen and kill hundreds of thousands of people."

It's a good thing, uniting the people world wide against a global threat. If only all global conflicts would stop, maybe we would be in space in a few years time instead of wasting resources on pathetic disputes.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

KillSlim

Well, there's a long time to prepare for this. Any estimation of which country the asteroid passes close to?
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Ace: Howdy-do, Killslim.
Paintcheck: Uh...
Paintcheck: Wrong window

GenX

By then we will have like laser beams and we will just disintigrate it. speaking of which how big is it?
"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." -Erica Jong

Bl★ck Star

They should send Chuck Norris round house kickin it

Alex

I'm surprised the Russians actually uttered that last sentence up there.

Chaos

Quote from: Alex on 01-01-2010
I'm surprised the Russians actually uttered that last sentence up there.
Yeah, was that a reporter or Russians? Russians saying that? What the fuck happened to the world.

deluxulous

I believe Silver/Exile typed it.