Microtransactions Coming Soon To Steam

Started by Silver Knight, 05-04-2010

Silver Knight

According to Voodoo Extreme 3D at IGN next month's Steam client update will introduce support for much-hated microtransactions:

Microtransactions

Want to offer your customers a scabbard for their sword? New tires? The latest in night vision goggles? Now you can through microtransaction support in Steamworks.

Your item server can now be easily integrated with Steamworks so that Steam users can buy and instantly use the items they want – all without leaving the game. Steam handles all of the billing through the user's Steam account.

Steam Cloud

Now with a greatly expanded capacity — now 100 MB per user, per game. The Steam Cloud API allows your game to write and retrieve files for each user.

Steam Total Makeover

The new Steam client makes finding friends, tracking achievements, reading news, organizing game collections, and keeping up to date easier than they ever have been before.

Even when creating visual aids, Valve remembers to screw mainland Europe.

Source: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53861/Microtransactions-Coming-Soon-To-Steam

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Zstan

Buy..what?

Virtual items?

Or addons?

Locke

What exactly can we purchase :\

Silver Knight

Quote from: ㅎㅎLocke on 05-04-2010
What exactly can we purchase :\

Guns, items, pathetic stuff like that.

Zstan

Why in the hell would anyone pay for a SWEP in game?

Celtic

Quote from: Zstan on 05-04-2010

Look at the people that paid for donator flags.

lolKieck

Quote from: Celtic on 06-04-2010

HEY, we are keeping the server !
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Silver Knight

Quote from: lolKieck on 06-04-2010
Quote from: Celtic on 06-04-2010

HEY, we are keeping the server !

Exactly, whereas money done over tf2 (One game most likely to use MT)  is just going to some greedy corporation.

Assassinator

Failness in a free update...

Steven :D

I Heard they're going to make you pay to use garrysmod.org (OR was it a april fools joke). We'll just have to see :\

ISPYUDIE

Quote from: Steven :D on 07-04-2010
I Heard they're going to make you pay to use garrysmod.org (OR was it a april fools joke). We'll just have to see :\

Well, seeing that the news says [APRIL FOOLS JOKE] infront of it, there's your answer.

Silver Knight

Quote from: ISPYUDIE on 08-04-2010
Quote from: Steven :D on 07-04-2010

Well, seeing that the news says [APRIL FOOLS JOKE] infront of it, there's your answer.

But the Microtransactions really is going to happen, that's in no way a joke, it's further bullshit to make our gaming and modding experience more miserable and rake what's left of our feeble empty wallets into their pockets.

Steam is now offically, or has been for some time, a console platform, why you ask?

Consoles\Steam:
Games only play on one format (Steam only lets you play with steam, you cannot sell/trade your games either)
Games are usually overpriced and are not worth buying Most games are very overpriced and the prices are static on steam, furthermore unlike retail you do not get a box, a cd or a case, you get virtual data, which costs the same/more than the retail (What The Hell?)
DLC is the new way to grab extra money on consoles and steams followed suit, instead of that "update" which everyone should have got, even though you just payed 40 bucks for the heap of shit, you still have to pay more money to get a few more hours out of the worthless game, good example would be the new AVP Game.

Zstan

L2Pirate, Silver.

And if this ACTA bullshit passes, I'm going to kill myself, life will not be worth living if I can't browse the internet without being watched by the government.

Chaos

The government already watches us enough.

This happens to every good thing, what will we be left with? Microsoft's steam? They will just do the same thing. I'm not buying ANY micro-transactions.

Bl★ck Star