Microsoft to launch an app in attempts to rival Steam

Started by Silver Knight, 18-12-2009

Silver Knight

Quote from: Download SquadIt's called Games on Demand (not quite as punchy as 'Steam'), and it's now part of the Games for Windows Life platform. While the list of big-name games available at launch is short -- Resident Evil 5 is the only stand-out title -- there is the usual slew of cheap-and-cheerful titles available, like the wonderful World of Goo (as reviewed in our Holiday Gift Guide).

Games on Demand will enable Windows users to purchase LIVE-enabled games directly from the Games for Windows LIVE app. Microsoft's mission? "Our goal has always been to create a seamless online gaming experience for the Windows community, and Games on Demand is a great step toward that end."

It's not initially clear what Microsoft intends to bring to the market with Games for Windows LIVE. It's basically a clone of Xbox LIVE: achievements, gamerscores, voice chat -- it's all there. But other than 'TrueSkill' matchmaking, I can't really see what Games for Windows LIVE brings to the dirty, sticky, crumb-strewn gaming table.

It's clear that Microsoft has decided to turn its steady, Sauron'ish gaze upon Valve's Steam. It's clear that they fancy a bit of Steam's lucrative, virtual monopoly of the PC games-on-demand market. What isn't so clear is just how they're going to dissolve Valve's empire. It takes work to integrate games into a framework such as Steam or Games for Windows; Microsoft better have something juicy up its sleeve to entice game developers. Like, er, paying the developers for exclusive distribution rights. I can hardly wait...

Source

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Fluffy

Assassinator

Crappy Microsoft or Crappy Steam? Pick your poison.

Locke

They better not fuck up our awesome deal with steam

Fluffy

Steel

Lol yer right, im already noticing that steam has wiped off PC retail in the UK, No ones going to divert to this new thing and leave steam.
Im guessing they could restrict some games, that are games for windows live, such as DoW2 which you require steam.

Bl★ck Star

Dug

lolKieck

*facepalm* MS, stop thinking so much, I know it does not hurt, but it will be better for humanity...
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Fluffy

Quote from: Dark Angel on 24-12-2009
**Didn't understand anything**

Windows is trying to kill Xbox Live with Windows Live.

Fail.

KillSlim

Windows live FAILS horribly.
Games on Demand... 'God' for short.

I'd stick with Steam anyday, so much better and more reliable. It certainly has all of my demanded games.
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Ace: Howdy-do, Killslim.
Paintcheck: Uh...
Paintcheck: Wrong window

Plunger

Quote from: Fluffy on 24-12-2009

Fail.
You realise their the same company.

Paintcheck

Games for Windows sucked fat cock. No one is going to leave steam for Microsoft, especially since they have no titles.

KillSlim

Quote from: Fluffy on 24-12-2009

Fail.

Xbox Live and Windows Live are all made by Microsoft.
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Chaos

True ^^ Fluffy, you don't have a 360, do you?
If MS ruins Steam I'm buying a PS3

KillSlim

Quote from: Chaos on 28-12-2009
True ^^ Fluffy, you don't have a 360, do you?
If MS ruins Steam I'm buying a PS3

I highly doubt Microsoft would rival Steam. Steam have just about all of the on-demand games, Microsoft may be able to sell the same games for slightly less, but any user of Games for Windows Live will agree with me on this:
Games for Windows live is shite. Why want more of the same shite.
Steam is great.

Hotstarr

Didn't Gabe and some other Valve employees work for Microsoft before they created Valve and Steam?