Britain Grinds to a halt due to some snow.

Started by KillSlim, 05-01-2010

KillSlim

To Britain's surprize, it's started snowing in the past few days. Cold weather has helped preserve the snow and encourage even more snow, unfortunately the roads have become 'unsafe' according to the news.
This country has just ground to a complete stand still due to what? 5cm of snow and a little bit of ice? Pathetic. I havn't seen a single grit lorry, people have been driving at walking pace (Literally, no joke) and have caused "Chaos on the roads."

BBC News:
QuoteHeavy snow and icy roads are causing chaos across most of the UK, where Met Office severe weather warnings are in place as the "deep freeze" continues.

Hundreds of schools are shut, many roads are hazardous, and buses, trains and planes have been delayed. Liverpool airport has closed for a second time.

Snow fell in Scotland, and large parts of England and Wales, in what is said to be the coldest snap in decades.

Snowfalls of up to 30cm (12in) have been forecast for southern England.

Forecasters say the band will stretch from London to Cardiff, and warn some areas may even see 40cm (16in) of snow on higher ground on Tuesday evening.

Gas supplies

On Monday the National Grid issued a gas balancing alert (GBA) for only the second time, asking power suppliers to use less gas as more was sourced overseas.

Schools, Colleges and people's work places have been closed due to the weather. My College has been closed, the buildings are next to a main road, and the traffic is at a complete stand still due to people not knowing how to drive in icy conditions. Earlier, we had supermarket lorries on our road (The road is on a gradient), not knowing how to drive on the road. They were in 1st gear, letting the wheels spin on the slippery road, not gaining any ground.

Every fucking winter, when there's a little bit of snow the whole country just shuts down. I think we just let it arrive without sending grit lorries so we can get off work and College.
"Yes, we will be changed and we will march with him, then all the world will have his colour and his light and his madness."

Ace: Howdy-do, Killslim.
Paintcheck: Uh...
Paintcheck: Wrong window

Chaos

That's not even a lot of snow.. I'm on the road, lol.
Also, the state I live in (USA) it has been snowing a lot, it looked like that this morning, yet nothing was closed.

Afromana

I do belive in global warming, but looks like we got more years then we thought ;)
Its gonna be -44 here in norway soon. And the snow aint stoppin, and about college and scjool closing, lucky you british peeps

Locke

Thats like every day in Canada, I've walked to school in -40C

Celtic

Quote from: Chaos on 05-01-2010
That's not even a lot of snow.. I'm on the road, lol.
Also, the state I live in (USA) it has been snowing a lot, it looked like that this morning, yet nothing was closed.
Same here Chaos, I've got snow around that recently also, and nothing's closed.
Honestly that picture looks like the opening scene to a Christmas movie or something.

Alex

I believe in glodbal warming too...up until three years ago, it had snowed every winter. Now? Nothing, nothing but cold as hell weather and a little bit of frost. DAMN YOU GLOBAL WARMING! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!

Sickness

lol thats just sad... If they can't handle 5 cm of snow how can they handle anything else?
Rusty - Returned to the Zone

Fluffy

They are scared of a little white water?

Ice Chains, they help.

Steel

Ice chains, we arent allowed to use them "Fucks up the road" apparently.
God my country is fucking useless.
Takes me an hour to walk to work, do i still do it? Yes. Of course i do. AND IM IN THE UK.
All schools fucking close.
The council was warned about it so they could have prepped it.

Chaos

Quote from: The Jackal on 06-01-2010
Ice chains, we arent allowed to use them "Fucks up the road" apparently.
God my country is fucking useless.
Takes me an hour to walk to work, do i still do it? Yes. Of course i do. AND IM IN THE UK.
All schools fucking close.
The council was warned about it so they could have prepped it.

Plows and snow salt work miracles.

Steel

Lol, in honesty it dosent bother me.
It aggravates me that the government and Coucnil are fucking useless at sorting this stuff out.

Tunddruff

I live by lake Ontario, and we got more snow than that.

Silver Knight

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

ISPYUDIE

Oh I do love the snow. No school! I've got quite a bit here, made a huge snowman. Then I was pelted with snowballs, lulz.

klp4

They close all the schools for a little snow? Damn..they wouldn't close the schools in Sweden even if there was a Zombie apocalypse. Teachers would probably be eating us by then, but NONO, Schools would remain open!
"I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude diquised as another dude!"

The myth says that Radek has two arms, the myth also says that the devil has two arms. Coincidence? I think not.

Fluffy

They are trying to catch up to America, Where the education system is half-past unstable, nobody studies anything, and yet we call ourselves the smartest nation, But anyway.

Snow is snow, Alaska has it all the time and they have school. Canada has snow and they have school. Whats up?

Afromana

Quote from: klp4 on 06-01-2010
They close all the schools for a little snow? Damn..they wouldn't close the schools in Sweden even if there was a Zombie apocalypse. Teachers would probably be eating us by then, but NONO, Schools would remain open!
Us northern people are more used to cold weather :V

klp4

Indeed we are! We are Vikings! lol
"I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude diquised as another dude!"

The myth says that Radek has two arms, the myth also says that the devil has two arms. Coincidence? I think not.

Fluffy

If you notice by this map that I have displayed here.

You will notice Britain is aligned with Canada, THEY ARE AROUND IT!

Dang Environment change. I have to live through a Desert.

EDIT: Fixed the picture.

Alex

lolKieck

Really, epic fail. It was -20C in Poland last winter and it was more than 5cm of snow. And what? No schools closed !
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

deluxulous

So, I live in the same state as Chaos. Up where I live, we got about 3 or 2 inches of snow. (About 8cm.) Tonight, we're supposed to get 4-8 more inches... (10cm - 25cm.)
For you lazy people that can't add, that's maybe 11 inches/33cm of snow.

Zstan

It's -10 degrees here, also there is ice on everything that could possibly exist and school is still in.

Also 200 posts GET!

Dug

That picture of snow made me laugh, your country hasn't seen even a tiny little bit of snow.
You should see how much snow can fall in my country, but this year was weird, January would usually be full of snow, all I see is sun.

EDIT: And that kind of snow is normal for us, people use their cars and go to school/jobs.
Basically it's nothing xD

Locke

I laugh at you people who complain about -20C,
As I've said, I've walked 20 minutes in -40C, and it was not fun.