DayZ persistent zombie mod for Arma 2: CO

Started by [INVICTUS], 02-05-2012

[INVICTUS]

http://www.dayzmod.com/index.php
Anyone interested in starting up an team for cooping this?

If you didn't click the link. DayZ Alpha is a persistent zombie mod for Arma that requires a lot of patience and teamwork, if you've played Dynamic Zombie Sandbox vehicles in DayZ are RARE might take several days to get one working if you even find the parts and can avoid being killed until then. On the other hand, loot doesn't spawn in vehicles like DZS. You'll find most of your loot in these places
Remember, these are just items that randomly spawn there. Sometimes you won't even find anything of use, and before you say it seems easy to get most of this stuff.. Between the zombies, bandits, and other survivors I'd say its rather difficult sometimes to just pass through a town unscathed much have time to find any loot and unlike DZS gunshots play a bigger role in DayZ. Gunshots can not only attract HORDES of zombies, not just the random three or four you see usually in DZS you'll end up seeing a dozen or so zombies come out of the woodwork to get you. Not only do gunshots attract zombies, they attract players which for now going to assume for now is a bad thing since everyone I've seen so far hasn't been all that friendly but don't get me wrong.. there are some good players out there who will go out of there way to help you so just be weary when grouping up with people you don't know.

COMMON AREAS
Gas Stations - Common Items (Food, water, empty whiskey bottles, and empty tin/soda cans)
Those little green security checkpoint things - Common Items / Weapons (M1911, Winchester 1866, Ammo, Flares, and Water/Food)
Warehouses - Uncommon items (Lots of car parts and sometimes food or flares)

HARD TO GET TO AREAS

Apartments (Can get high-tier weapons there also a lot of survival items and backpacks)
Long Barns, Pigstys, Small Barns (Old rifles - Enfields, Winchesters, CZ + ammo)
Garages, Gas Stations, Hangars (Auto Parts)
Fire Stations (High tier weapons, ammo, also military and police zombies)
Hospitals (Meds)
Goverment Buildings (Weapons, Dead Survivors)
Supermarkets (Backpacks, Pistols, Ammo)
Game Ranger Guard Towers (NVGs)
Barracks (High tier weapons)
Control Towers (High tier weapons, ammo)

Before I forget, the best thing about DayZ is that it's all hosted on dedicated servers by the people who are currently working on the Alpha and Beta of DayZ. So you'll never find a shortage of players, most of the North American servers are packed 50/50 players all day, and last I checked DayZ was running about 19 servers ranging from North America, UK, France, Denmark, and a lot of other places.
So, if anyone is interested in teaming up. Name the server and when your going to be on (preferably with a time zone in relation to GMT).

EDIT: If you don't have a map, and are on a veteran server. Here is a map with english translations for all the russian signs - http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/images/chernarus_big_hq.jpg

Lucidius

Possible that me and a friend may join
Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

[INVICTUS]

Quote from: Lucidius on 03-05-2012
Possible that me and a friend may join

If you and your friend join, I usually play on the EU3 server or EU8. Haven't tried the north american servers yet because of all the rumours that it's full of bandits, no surprise there.

If your installing a mod for the first time here is how to do it, and if not and you've done this before it serves as a learning tool for others.

Once you've downloaded all the DayZ files from downloads, all the .PBO files should be extracted into one (addons) folder which you create, which will go into another folder created by you which will need to be renamed @dayz. The @dayz folder will have to be put into your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory, which if your running steam would be  ("C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/arma 2 operation arrowhead")

If you installed combined operations with a disk, it will look somewhat like this  ("C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead")

Once that is done, go to the properties of OA in steam, and modify the "Set Launch Options" and add the following ("-nosplash -mod=@dayz")  Or if your using the disk, make a shortcut of the .exe for OA and add the same target line
("-nosplash -mod=@dayz")

Once either have been done, launch the game as Combined operations and for the disk version once you run the game you should be asked to run Combined Operations or you can enable the A2 content in expansions on the main menu. (Make sure both games if bought separately have been run at least once.)

lolKieck

I'm amazed they didn't think of a melee system against both zombies and players when they were making the whole "you shoot, you run away for 20 minutes" idea of fighting.
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Lucidius

Eck. EU servers sound like a pain in the ass with all the lag.

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]

[INVICTUS]

Quote from: lolKieck on 04-05-2012
I'm amazed they didn't think of a melee system against both zombies and players when they were making the whole "you shoot, you run away for 20 minutes" idea of fighting.

I'm sure this has already been suggested on the DayZ forums, but also think about the limits of the arma engine that the dev team has to work within. This is also still in it's alpha stage and there are many things yet to be implemented into the mod, which might include some type of melee system but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Quote from: Lucidius on 04-05-2012
Eck. EU servers sound like a pain in the ass with all the lag.

To be honest, some of them are called " European " servers but are hosted either in the US or close to it. And so far I haven't experienced any lag issues with any of the EU servers, except the FR servers which are constantly crashing for some reason. US servers usually are full around the clock, but if you really want to try any of them try either the Dallas or New York servers since they usually have 5-11 slots open later in the day 10:00 P.M. - 3:00 A.M. (-5 GMT)

Lucidius

Weird that EU servers arn't hosted in EU. I guess the name's misleading moe then anything.

My Profile[/b][/size]

Frostee

Quote from: Lucidius on 04-05-2012
Weird that EU servers arn't hosted in EU. I guess the name's misleading moe then anything.

The EU servers are meant for the European players to play on a separate server then other regions.

jaik

I forgot we had a thread.

It's better to play at night, especially when it's in your region.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

[INVICTUS]

Yeah.. I love the night, apparently these guys don't like the dark.

jaik

nice humanity, which server do you play on?

meetdadoom

this all boils down to one question from me. Is arma 2 worth buying in general. This mod seems really cool.

[flash=500,30]http://www.youtube.com/v/9UousVNJaIM[/flash]

jaik

Quote from: meetdadoom on 06-05-2012
Is arma 2 worth buying

It is.

A lot of people bought the game just for the mod. You'll have to buy this:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4639/

KingArthur

Quote from: [INVICTUS] on 05-05-2012

so let me get this straight, zombies are everywhere and you shoot the only humans around for miles....

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?

Frostee

Quote from: Jake on 06-05-2012
Is arma 2 worth buying

It is.

A lot of people bought the game just for the mod

Thats silly, considering the fact the Arma 2 is a great game for many other things.

Paintcheck

this all boils down to one question from me. Is arma 2 worth buying in general. This mod seems really cool.

Hold off until the Steam summer sales start if you can. ArmA is usually part of those sales. I'm kicking myself for not getting it last year when it was down to like $7.50 for Combined Operations.

jaik

Finally me and Zen managed to find each other in this annoying map. This took us about 2 hours in total, I believe.

[INVICTUS]

nice humanity, which server do you play on?

I usually play on whichever server has slots open, yesterday I was on the DE1 and DE2 server (By the way, DE1 was a massacre. Some guy was on top of the firestation shooting survivors who came near the airfield, didn't notice he was there until he shot some poor sap climbing up the ladder of the control tower.)

Quote from: KingArthur on 06-05-2012
Quote from: [INVICTUS] on 05-05-2012

so let me get this straight, zombies are everywhere and you shoot the only humans around for miles....

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?

This is not to far from the coast and it was a chance encounter, plus I didn't want to have to kill them for no reason but the balance between negative and positive humanity needs to be maintained or else you'll turn back into a survivor - PMC skin from the bandit skin - German KSK Scout. A bug exists in the current version that clears the content of your backpack during the switch from bandit to survivor and vice versa. And plus, a majority of these ' survivors ' are cutthroats most of the time and even my friends have been backstabbed by other players eventually after so long.

And PvP is suppose to play a big part in the mod, it isn't PvE.

jaik

However you shouldn't kill people JUST BECAUSE they have the bandit skin, since you may lose humanity due to self-defense.

Knife_cz

However you shouldn't kill people JUST BECAUSE they have the bandit skin, since you may lose humanity due to self-defense.
Kill everyone :D , no?

jaik

Quote from: knife_cz on 06-05-2012

A bad rep will get you killed fast. This isn't FOnline.

Knife_cz

A bad rep will get you killed fast. This isn't FOnline.
Oh well, maybe one day when Arma 2 : CO will be in steam sale, I will try it.
(But you have to admit, it does sound familiar to FOnline from the posts - luck with meeting players which might let you go, or kill you.)

[INVICTUS]

I don't kill everyone on sight, example: This morning 3:00 AM, I ran into another player with the bandit skin and I didn't shoot wasn't planning on it. I just wanted to talk and he started firing so I shot back at him and almost died for not shooting first, currently down to 1600 blood for it.

EDIT: Killing bandits usually doesn't have a negative impact on humanity, for survivors it has a positive effect I believe while bandits killing bandits does nothing to humanity.

Knife_cz

Hmmm I watched some videos on youtube and it seems that servers are pretty laggy mostly, and Crossbow is one of the most useful weapons around.
I am right?

[INVICTUS]

Hmmm I watched some videos on youtube and it seems that servers are pretty laggy mostly, and Crossbow is one of the most useful weapons around.
I am right?

Lags sometimes, usually when people connect/disconnect in large masses but after that it stabilizes. Could also be the person's game lagging, since recording usually has an impact on performance.
And crossbow.. to be honest isn't very useful unless you like plucking arrows from every zombie you hit whilst other zombies are close by and the reload time isn't too hot either, on the other hand it is good very early on if you don't want to alert zombies but want to remove one from your way.. other than that I'd rather find a good silenced weapon if I wanted to go the ' Don't attract attention route ' just my opinion though.