S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Book (This one's in English!)

Started by Solidus, 25-09-2011

Solidus

I'm reading a teaser chapter of STALKER: Southern Comfort and it's INCREDIBLE.

http://www.stalkersoutherncomfort.com/main#!__main/about

It takes place in a new Zone in Kabul after Al'Qaeda derped it up. Read it, it's just awesome. Click on about, then teaser.

Probably late here, but whatever.

Paintcheck

How the fuck...Afghanistan? What? Did the person who wrote this actually play Shadow of Chernobyl and understand the game's explanation for the shit that happens in it?

Solidus

Read the "About" page. He explains why he chose Afghanistan.

Why Afghanistan?

New zone, same lore.
We, the team behind "Southern Comfort", are all dedicated fans of the games. After solving all secrets of the zone for a hundred times, we longed for new adventures to survive and new places to discover. The badlands of Zonistan have it all.

The ussr's Afghan war is largely forgotten in the west, nonetheless it was the other dIsaster that had led to the downfall of the soviet empire. Just like chernobyl, it scarred the bodies and souls of a whole generation. Now's the time to put yourself into the skin of the protagonist who has a score to settle with both ghoStS of the past!
Besides, the war in the 80's left so much soviet debris behind that many places there feel exactly like the Zone. Several characters are old acquaintances from the Zone, too, including the protagonist himself.

Chrono

Well..seems ok...but i am reading Song of ice and fire right now..

deluxulous

New zone, same lore.
We, the team behind "Southern Comfort", are all dedicated fans of the games. After solving all secrets of the zone for a hundred times, we longed for new adventures to survive and new places to discover. The badlands of Zonistan have it all.

The ussr's Afghan war is largely forgotten in the west, nonetheless it was the other dIsaster that had led to the downfall of the soviet empire. Just like chernobyl, it scarred the bodies and souls of a whole generation. Now's the time to put yourself into the skin of the protagonist who has a score to settle with both ghoStS of the past!
Besides, the war in the 80's left so much soviet debris behind that many places there feel exactly like the Zone. Several characters are old acquaintances from the Zone, too, including the protagonist himself.
[/quote]

Is his shift key broke or something?

sounds interesting, but i'm not a huge reader now a days. i do enough of that in school

Predu

I agree that the location is a bit what-the-fuck-ish. I mean really why is it so far from the CNNP. Chernobyl has a cold feeling to the disaster, with it's harsh wildlife and man trying to settle in it before and after the disaster. Afghanistan just sounds to me like sand and dunes.

lolKieck

How could Al-Qaeda fuck up the noosphere over Afghanistan. With only a bomb?
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀ ▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▌
▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒ ▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒ ▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒ ▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒

Paintcheck

Quote from: lolKieck on 26-09-2011
How could Al-Qaeda fuck up the noosphere over Afghanistan. With only a bomb?

That. I don't think the author of this book understood what actually caused the Zone. It wasn't the nuclear explosion in itself (or else we'd have a "Shadow of Hiroshima" and "Shadow of Nagasaki" to go with Chernobyl) but the manipulation of the Noosphere in the area by the explosion and by the Ukrainian scientists. Afghanistan has no Ukrainian scientists.

Dvs!lverwing

Southern Comfort? Like the Whiskey?
During the course of the last fiscal year minimum wealth was earned, and dismal tears were shed for critical health concerns.

Tom

Quote from: Dvs!lverwing on 27-09-2011
Southern Comfort? Like the Whiskey?

Maybe thats how the concept came to the author. A night of Southern Comfort and Stalker.
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

Solidus

Starting my own novel with Negative Zero based on STALKER. We already got the preliminary ideas, characters, settings and events down.