My desktop's video card has died.

Started by Kelse, 02-05-2012

Kelse

My 1 year old desktop's video card has died, It was a Radeon HD 6950 no overclocking, put my computer into sleep mode while LoL downloaded last night and it never booted back up, my monitors get no signal.

R.I.P Hungry Hungry Hippo (I called it that because of it's power usage)

the permaban queen.

themutatedman

This dosen't sound good, mostly because I have a Radeon 6850

:C

Spades_Neil

Check your warranty.

It shouldn't die so quickly. :|

Unless you were like me and my first gaming PC where I was a retard and took off the case because "LOL IT RUNS COOLER SO I CAN OVERCLOCK IT NOW." Then one day start out of hibernate, computer doesn't turn on, "Why do I smell ozone?", "Why is there smoke coming off my motherboa-ohfuckwhat"

Kelse

It worked for several minutes, then someone in my family had the great idea "LETS MOVE HIS PC" then it went out again, I'm just going to unplug my card and plug it back in.

the permaban queen.

Kelse

Fixed, finicky GPU is finicky  ::)

the permaban queen.

Syndraell

damn. I know how that feels.

At least you weren't fixing your PC and the Power Supply caught on Fire.
that happened to my friend.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Kelse

Quote from: James Almasy on 06-05-2012
damn. I know how that feels.

At least you weren't fixing your PC and the Power Supply caught on Fire.
that happened to my friend.

It ended up fixing itself.

the permaban queen.

Plunger

Quote from: Spades_Neil on 02-05-2012
Check your warranty.

It shouldn't die so quickly. :|

Unless you were like me and my first gaming PC where I was a retard and took off the case because "LOL IT RUNS COOLER SO I CAN OVERCLOCK IT NOW." Then one day start out of hibernate, computer doesn't turn on, "Why do I smell ozone?", "Why is there smoke coming off my motherboa-ohfuckwhat"
Yeah that's a bad idea, dust gets inside the computer case, causes it to overheat more and burn up over time.

Also kelse are you making sure to monitor your gpu temp constantly? You should probably start if you haven't as it might just be your card overheating depending on airflow, fan speed, etcetera.

Kelse

It's fine, I have a program that sets the fan speed up as the gpu gets hotter, I clean my case once a month, the card is fine now, there's no need to reply anymore.

the permaban queen.

Syndraell

Quote from: Kelse on 06-05-2012
It's fine, I have a program that sets the fan speed up as the gpu gets hotter, I clean my case once a month, the card is fine now, there's no need to reply anymore.

Sounds like you need something that cools the interior better than a fan.
http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2011/computer-cooling-systems.asp

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

ZainMenloe

Quote from: James Almasy on 06-05-2012
Quote from: Kelse on 06-05-2012

Sounds like you need something that cools the interior better than a fan.
http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2011/computer-cooling-systems.asp

Or, instead of spending all that money on these products, you can simply use...
ICE!
Put on to 2 cubes in every hour to keep your computer from overheating.

Warning, do not use icecubes as a computer cooling device, spend the money and get something that actually works. Ice cubes will melt and may cause, but is not limited to, ruined motherboard, electical shorts, computer to permanantly stop working, water damage to whatever your comupter is on top of, and many more.