Who wants Abby Stone back?

Started by Syndraell, 21-05-2012

Ragolution

Since Terraria cannot into math, let me deconstruct this problem.

X+10/X+3 <2

Which means if you plug in ANYTHING for X, X+10/X+3 has to be less than 2.
So let's do some things first.
What's the one rule of math everyone loves?
You can't divide by zero, so immediately, X can't equal -3
Beyond that, this problem is annoyingly simple.

Since this is an inequality, we can temporarily turn the < into an equals sign to derrive just what the fuck we're looking at here.

X+10/X+3 = 2

So tell me, Terraria, when is this statement true?

Well we can do this the easy way or the hard way.

Let's do the easy way, I guess.
Distribute the "Divided by X+3"

X+10 = 2*(X+3)

X+10 = 2X+6

Right? Yes, it's right.

So now subtract over the 6,

X+4 = 2X

Oh look.

X = 4

But wait, remember! This is an inequality!

The easiest way to check what sign we should use is to plug in the nearest whole numbers (3 and 5).

Plugging in 3 we see that 13/6 is > 2 so that means if the variable is set to a value greater than 4, it'll meet the requirements of the equation.

Thus, the answer is X > 4

Velspera

Quote from: Ragolution on 02-06-2012
Since Terraria cannot into math, let me deconstruct this problem.

X+10/X+3 <2

Which means if you plug in ANYTHING for X, X+10/X+3 has to be less than 2.
So let's do some things first.
What's the one rule of math everyone loves?
You can't divide by zero, so immediately, X can't equal -3
Beyond that, this problem is annoyingly simple.

Since this is an inequality, we can temporarily turn the < into an equals sign to derrive just what the fuck we're looking at here.

X+10/X+3 = 2

So tell me, Terraria, when is this statement true?

Well we can do this the easy way or the hard way.

Let's do the easy way, I guess.
Distribute the "Divided by X+3"

X+10 = 2*(X+3)

X+10 = 2X+6

Right? Yes, it's right.

So now subtract over the 6,

X+4 = 2X

Oh look.

X = 4

But wait, remember! This is an inequality!

The easiest way to check what sign we should use is to plug in the nearest whole numbers (3 and 5).

Plugging in 3 we see that 13/6 is > 2 so that means if the variable is set to a value greater than 4, it'll meet the requirements of the equation.

Thus, the answer is X > 4

Rago, you just made me think of the calculus course I had to take two semesters ago and I love you for that.

I vote this thread is now about solving mathematical problems and not about bringing Abby Stone back.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Ragolution

That was fucking Pre-Algebra.

JRParadox

What I am about to state is taking in to account the rule of BIDMAS, one of the earliest mathematical rules you are told.

You do realise that the sum is:

X+10/X+3 = X+(10/X)+3 <2

And NOT:

(X+10)/(X+3) <2

To show my point lets subsidise X for a number greater than 4 such as 5, when 5+10/5+3 is carried out then surely the answer is 10 which is not less then 2.

However if we used the rule of X>4 on the incorrect question which Ragolution's rule does work for then (5+10)/(5+3)=1.875 which is <2

Therefore when taking in to account BIDMAS on this question Ragolution's rule does not work when applied meaning we must calculate a new answer.

If you look at the question, when replacing the X with ANY positive number no matter what it is the +3 which is calculated last will make the number greater than 2.

This means that X must be less than 0 as the division would give a negative number and the +X at the start of the sum would give a negative number, the sum of these two negative numbers will ALWAYS be >-1 meaning when combined with the +3 the outcome can NEVER be greater than or equal to 2 which is what we are looking for.

Therefore X<0

The error in Ragolution's calculations are that he assumed the question was (X+10)/(X+3)>2 whereas it in fact was X+(10/X)+3>2 which meant when he got rid of the divide by X+3 the two numbers were in fact not grouped together.

Please learn to use mathematics before attempting to prove someone else wrong Ragolution, no hate <3 Checkmate

Edit: If you do not trust my account of it then see Wolfram Alpha's opinion: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=X%2B10%2FX%2B3+%3C+2
The graph and the solution prove my point that X<0 as that is the only point in which the graph drops below 2

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?
Rag > This is so serious you don't understand.

Ragolution

Fuck your shit.
Problem was written poorly

Demand rematch.

Best 6/10.

darkshinyprincess

I think x=9.

Whatever, poll is about to end and I'm losing for 2 points. D:

the_grub

Quote from: Tom on 02-06-2012
Quote from: the_grub on 02-06-2012
Quote from: VonXeno on 01-06-2012
Quote from: darkshinyprincess on 01-06-2012
In a week or two I'll be selling potions again and living with my loved Riageki.

Riageki's dead.
wat ._.

Your not Riageki, are you? 
that I am :/
r u avin a giggle ther m8, il bash ye fookin ead in i swar on me mum

Kamimaia

Note to self- do not do algebra without caffeine. Looking back, I dunno where the hell I got -7 from- I misread the problem entirely, looking at my math.

Maxi96203

I think I can effectively describe this thread in three words.

What the fuck?
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

CAMaera

Quote from: Maxi96203 on 03-06-2012

What the fuck?

I think I can effectively sum up you being here despite never being on Caphori and having no desire to.

What the fuck?

Maxi96203

Quote from: max0596 on 03-06-2012

What the fuck?

I think I can effectively sum up you being here despite never being on Caphori and having no desire to.

What the fuck?

I agree.

I think I can effectively sum up your ego.
Oh wait, I can't.
ASSHOLE DESCRIPTION FOR PREMIUM™ HGN™ SUBSCRIBERS™ ONLY

Wolfie

What the fuck?

What the fuck?

First, quote pyramid.
Second, shh, no fighting. You two have the same name. Thirdly, why does anybody go on Caphori?

I'm Wolfie, snd this is my sig... Uummm... FUUURR TEEHH EEMMPUUHRER!

===== FRP charcaters =====

Guan- Your favorite Chinese scavenger, has a obsession with rumors of the Shi, as well as combat knives.

Tiberius- The annoying gear-lover.

INA7HAN

Ok i'm going to put this simple tbh can all the people who don't play Caphori fuck off and leave this topic as it has nothing to do with you. You're not helping at all.

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

Plunger

Quote from: JRParadox on 03-06-2012

What I am about to state is taking in to account the rule of BIDMAS, one of the earliest mathematical rules you are told.

You do realise that the sum is:

X+10/X+3 = X+(10/X)+3 <2

And NOT:

(X+10)/(X+3) <2

To show my point lets subsidise X for a number greater than 4 such as 5, when 5+10/5+3 is carried out then surely the answer is 10 which is not less then 2.

However if we used the rule of X>4 on the incorrect question which Ragolution's rule does work for then (5+10)/(5+3)=1.875 which is <2

Therefore when taking in to account BIDMAS on this question Ragolution's rule does not work when applied meaning we must calculate a new answer.

If you look at the question, when replacing the X with ANY positive number no matter what it is the +3 which is calculated last will make the number greater than 2.

This means that X must be less than 0 as the division would give a negative number and the +X at the start of the sum would give a negative number, the sum of these two negative numbers will ALWAYS be >-1 meaning when combined with the +3 the outcome can NEVER be greater than or equal to 2 which is what we are looking for.

Therefore X<0

The error in Ragolution's calculations are that he assumed the question was (X+10)/(X+3)>2 whereas it in fact was X+(10/X)+3>2 which meant when he got rid of the divide by X+3 the two numbers were in fact not grouped together.

Please learn to use mathematics before attempting to prove someone else wrong Ragolution, no hate <3 Checkmate

Edit: If you do not trust my account of it then see Wolfram Alpha's opinion: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=X%2B10%2FX%2B3+%3C+2
The graph and the solution prove my point that X<0 as that is the only point in which the graph drops below 2
Yep, that's right, I don't see how everyone else fucked up the simple problem so badly.

Tom

Quote from: darkshinyprincess on 03-06-2012
I think x=9.

Quote from: the_grub on 03-06-2012
In a week or two I'll be selling potions again and living with my loved Riageki.

Riageki's dead.
wat ._.

Family Guy- You have aids
Quote from: TheAndyShandy on 05-12-2013
Oh boy.
Strap yourselves in, it's time for the great 'obligatory' SRP resurrection of 2013/14/15/16/22

RoyRoger05

Congratulation, this is now the most popular thread that isn't a sticky.  You all get one cookie!

INA7HAN

Quote from: Tom on 03-06-2012
Quote from: darkshinyprincess on 03-06-2012
I think x=9.

Quote from: the_grub on 03-06-2012

Riageki's dead.
wat ._.

Family Guy- You have aids
I've never seen a more fitting time to play that, good job XD

SRP: Nicolai 'Thunder' Lagunov - Loner - Alive

the_grub

r u avin a giggle ther m8, il bash ye fookin ead in i swar on me mum

VonXeno

What the fuck?

What the fuck?

Max, chill the fuck out. This thread is fucked up beyond all reason, as Maxi was simply pointing out.

Quote from: Wolfie on 03-06-2012
why does anybody go on Caphori?

Because we're the section of the community that most assholes tend to avoid.

Quote from: INA7HAN on 03-06-2012
Ok i'm going to put this simple tbh can all the people who don't play Caphori fuck off and leave this topic as it has nothing to do with you. You're not helping at all.

Nathan, chill the fuck out.
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

CAMaera

Quote from: RoyRoger05 on 03-06-2012
Congratulation, this is now the most popular thread that isn't a sticky.  You all get one cookie!

MAN. YES. **** YES. Is it chocolate chip?

Quote from: VonXeno on 03-06-2012

What the fuck?

What the fuck?

Max, chill the fuck out. This thread is fucked up beyond all reason, as Maxi was simply pointing out.

Yes, but when that happens elsewhere, I don't go around posting for no reasons in areas for games I don't play. I'm not angry XD relax, Von.

Also, I have to say this is the only time that this has happened(people coming in to post for no reason who don't come on the server)during the whole time I was here. Even GEN 1. Either they're finally getting here, or Abby brought them.

I like to think it's the latter.

darkshinyprincess

Come on, one vote more to Yesh.

Velspera

I kind of wish I'd voted "Hell Naw" now. :/
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Ragolution

Quote from: Velspera on 04-06-2012
I kind of wish I'd voted "Hell Naw" now. :/

She's obviously making dummy accounts to 'win' the poll for 'her'.

Wolfie

Hasn't she been banned multiple times for extreme racism?
And also, I'm voting yes so I have a excuse to laugh at Caphori. <3
I'm Wolfie, snd this is my sig... Uummm... FUUURR TEEHH EEMMPUUHRER!

===== FRP charcaters =====

Guan- Your favorite Chinese scavenger, has a obsession with rumors of the Shi, as well as combat knives.

Tiberius- The annoying gear-lover.

VonXeno

Quote from: Wolfie on 04-06-2012
And also, I'm voting yes so I have a excuse to laugh at Caphori. <3

That would be mean, why would you do that D:
I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.