The Resistance - Awesome, But Inactive Faction

Started by JRParadox, 17-11-2011

JRParadox

Lore Basics:

I was alone. We all were. As our once proud nation became corrupted by the foul beasts our rulers did nothing to help us, they left us to die as they set sail to the new land. I am only here today becaude I managed to clamber on to the evacuation ship at the last possible moment. The self appointed queen of this dictatorship did nothing to save the civilians but we had no way of fighting back and destroying the monarchy... until now. After years of taxes, poverty and suffering I have had enough, it is time to take action through guerilla warfare we shall smite those selfish so called people who rule us! Rise my bretherin! We are the Resistance. We are united. We will fight for our freedom. Viva la revolution!

What are we?:

The Resitance is a  potential faction which will be primarily a rival to the Caphorian Monarchy, we will be driven by a highly emersive quest system which will be rewarding, challenging, unique and most importatly will tell the story of the resistance fighting for the people of Caphori to overthrow the monarchy.

What are our plans?:

-Become a minor faction
-Become a major faction
-Aqquire a plot of faction land (preferbly plot 1)
-Establish quests and halls in other cities and settlements
-Set up events e.g. battles against the Caphorian Monarchy; invasions and defenses

How can you join?:

Simply message me (JRParadox) and I will attempt to reply to you as soon as possible or speak to me in-game, my character is called Hex.

Who are our current members?:

Hex - Founder and Leader

PLEASE provide feedback on whether this sounds like a great or a bad idea

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?
Rag > This is so serious you don't understand.

RoyRoger05

Wrong section, please post this in the FACTIONS section.

Steven :D

RoyRoger05

Also, I would like to point out that Ophelia was elected queen due to popular demand and was the reason most were able to flee Caphori, plus she has only been queen for.. four weeks?  It would be kind of hard to bash the monarchy when the Queen SAVED most of the citizens and has barley done anything tyrannical yet.  What I would do is make it some form of terrorist organization with a leader than wants to be the Queen/King of Caphori and be some form of dictator, with some sort of lies to make himself/herself seem like the Ophelia is evil like:
A. She's leading us to destruction!
B. Her servant (Golem) is a demon in disguise!
C. She only saved us because she wanted slaves in-debited to her!

Stuff like that.  Things that could incite people to join.  Of course this would make you a Chaotic/Evil faction, and again, it's your choice.. just my two cents.

Safianna

Quote from: RoyRoger05 on 17-11-2011Also, I would like to point out that Ophelia was elected queen due to popular demand and was the reason most were able to flee Caphori, plus she has only been queen for.. four weeks?  It would be kind of hard to bash the monarchy when the Queen SAVED most of the citizens and has barley done anything tyrannical yet.

Actually, the vote was done entirely out of character. So, that vote counts for nothing in-character. For example, I voted for Vels as she is active and an admin which means she can actually make decisions that affect the world without having to okay everything with an admin first. Which means for less OOC red tape. Whereas my character, after hearing the intentions of the monarchy to build another castle, has put serious distance between herself and them.

The way my character saw it, Ophelia became a leader because of the part she played in the exodus from old Caphori and because it was her ship that everyone hopped on. It was just a natural evolution that the leader of the exodus would be looked at as the leader of the new land by some because she led them there and she also happens to have a ten foot fire elemental at her side. From the standpoint of someone who was simply fleeing from old Caphori and saw the ship as a means to an end, it could easily be seen as Ophelia appointing herself as queen.

Just as a very simple example, Mister J was barred OOC from fighting the commander because it was more or less already scripted by Blair to be a defeat at the hands of Ophelia. In character, he could easily harbour a grudge against Ophelia because he was not able to rise up and become the hero he feels he was destined to be. This may not actually be the case (I don't know how J sees the monarchy), but it's just showing how easily you could write a hatred for the queen before the monarchy was even technically formed. This goes triple for a character who has different philosophical / moral / social / economic / *insert others here* ideals from the newly formed monarchy.

Plus, from what I saw from the Resistance leader's (that would be Hex) roleplay, he DOES spout off propaganda against the monarchy. Remember that following laws does not necessarily make you good and going outside of the law does not make you evil. Using anti-government propaganda does not make them evil, it just takes them out of the lawful alignment. Also, if this faction does form fully and is able to set up (perhaps with a name change), it could be said that there are two states on the map that do not recognize each other. So both sides would be lawful in their own eyes (according to THEIR laws) and chaotic in the eyes of their enemy.

Safia is not joining the resistance, but I just wanted to show you how easily this faction could become a viable choice for some characters without them being evil. Remember, in fantasy, outlaws are not always evil (though, they can be) and those within the law are not always good (though, they can be too).

RoyRoger05

Quote from: Safianna on 18-11-2011
Quote from: RoyRoger05 on 17-11-2011Also, I would like to point out that Ophelia was elected queen due to popular demand and was the reason most were able to flee Caphori, plus she has only been queen for.. four weeks?  It would be kind of hard to bash the monarchy when the Queen SAVED most of the citizens and has barley done anything tyrannical yet.

Actually, the vote was done entirely out of character. So, that vote counts for nothing in-character. For example, I voted for Vels as she is active and an admin which means she can actually make decisions that affect the world without having to okay everything with an admin first. Which means for less OOC red tape. Whereas my character, after hearing the intentions of the monarchy to build another castle, has put serious distance between herself and them.

The way my character saw it, Ophelia became a leader because of the part she played in the exodus from old Caphori and because it was her ship that everyone hopped on. It was just a natural evolution that the leader of the exodus would be looked at as the leader of the new land by some because she led them there and she also happens to have a ten foot fire elemental at her side. From the standpoint of someone who was simply fleeing from old Caphori and saw the ship as a means to an end, it could easily be seen as Ophelia appointing herself as queen.

Just as a very simple example, Mister J was barred OOC from fighting the commander because it was more or less already scripted by Blair to be a defeat at the hands of Ophelia. In character, he could easily harbour a grudge against Ophelia because he was not able to rise up and become the hero he feels he was destined to be. This may not actually be the case (I don't know how J sees the monarchy), but it's just showing how easily you could write a hatred for the queen before the monarchy was even technically formed. This goes triple for a character who has different philosophical / moral / social / economic / *insert others here* ideals from the newly formed monarchy.

Plus, from what I saw from the Resistance leader's (that would be Hex) roleplay, he DOES spout off propaganda against the monarchy. Remember that following laws does not necessarily make you good and going outside of the law does not make you evil. Using anti-government propaganda does not make them evil, it just takes them out of the lawful alignment. Also, if this faction does form fully and is able to set up (perhaps with a name change), it could be said that there are two states on the map that do not recognize each other. So both sides would be lawful in their own eyes (according to THEIR laws) and chaotic in the eyes of their enemy.

Safia is not joining the resistance, but I just wanted to show you how easily this faction could become a viable choice for some characters without them being evil. Remember, in fantasy, outlaws are not always evil (though, they can be) and those within the law are not always good (though, they can be too).

Those are good points Safi, but, I believe there was an IC vote on the ship to New Caphori and she was elected.  Plus I don't really count the Demon Commander fight for much because I had to break Golem's lore to let that fight actually happen, since he's hardwired to not let Ophelia do a 1v1 period.  There's also the fact that she hasn't really DONE anything yet as a queen, philosophical views or not, she has not executed anyone, she has not passed an oppressive decrees, nor has she set up a ridiculous tax.  A Resistance is formed to fight an oppressive government and or ruler, not a queen that saved everybody, and then was elected by popular vote. If the case was Ophelia IS oppressive, and doing terrible thing then it would be Good/Chaotic, but she hasn't done an evil thing yet. So this Resistance(Not saying it's a bad idea) would be committing terrorist crimes, and generally disturbing the public peace for little to no reason other than "We got a bad feeling" which WOULD make them Chaotic/Evil. 

(Had to update my post because I typed it early in the morning, brain was still like bleh.. with no coffee X_X)

Safianna

Quote from: RoyRoger05 on 18-11-2011Those are good points Safi, but, I believe there was an IC vote on the ship to New Caphori and she was elected.  Plus I don't really count the Demon Commander fight for much because I had to break Golem's lore to let that fight actually happen, since he's hardwired to not let Ophelia do a 1v1 period.
Safia was not part of any vote, nor do I remember there being one at all and I was there from before the event started until the point that Vels and everyone else went to bed. If there was one after that at some point, then I have to apologise for my lack of knowledge, but no one mentioned it to me (or Safia, the character).

That said, all the points still stand. As for the fight not happening, Vels will have to strike it down herself.
Until then, Miss Safia knows what she saw take place on the masts of the ship.

Anyway, one way or another, all the points still stand. In fact, it may even be EASIER to explain now. Anyone who did not get to vote at all could say that they were not approached for voting, or were ignored and their voice remained unheard. Intentional or not, that is fodder for the leader of a resistance/rebellion to say that the government is oppressive, stifling free speech, rights to vote, etc.  Similarly, those who voted against could set out to start their own little berg. And so on and so forth.

JRParadox

Thanks for that discussion you two and I will attempt to adress all the points. First of all some of the in-character things said are going to be over the top and exaggerated as a form of negative propoganda because Hex is somewhat of a spin doctor therefor he may fabricate the truth. Also you have some good ideas on aspects of looking at certain events and concepts such as on Golem.

I consider the faction not to be evil, instead somewhat of a Robin Hood style of faction consisting of fighting for the powerless and a just cause in our eyes but in the eyes of the monarchy we are a chaotic, anarchist and terrorist group. Another reason why I am trying to make the faction good and not evil is that one of the most crucial policies is that defending the world from demons is at a higher priority than fighting the monarchy.

I must say im with safia in saying i don't remember the vote on the ship but also I of course could be wrong. Luckily for me this provides me with a great incentive and piece of propaganda. Speaking of which I believe the longer the monarchy stands for the more time Ophelia will have to do something with a negative feedback therefor giving the faction more incentive.

Thanks for the feedback and thanks greatly Steven for the post move, I was unaware of this child board. Also sorry for any spellibg mistakes, im writing this on an ipod touch at midnight without spellcheck so please excuse me.

Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?

Velspera

1) OOC Vote for Queen does not count IC as it does not explain why Ophelia is Queen.  There was no actual vote IC.  Why is she Queen, then?

Ophelia took over because A) People have kept calling her Queen for some reason, which she assumes means that no one actually wants/knows how to run a government.  Her family used to rule a kingdom so she knows the ins and outs and has taken over because, after a crisis like a demon invasion, she feels it is better someone like her, who knows her ways around demons and can act if it happens again) would fare better than some random person that steps up because no one else wants the job.  Even if it's for a little while. 

2) I don't care if he makes a faction against her.  Ophelia wouldn't really give a damn either, unless he hurts someone.  Opposition creates great drama and great drama (usually) makes for great roleplay.  If he gets enough people to join, hell yes I would approve this faction. 

3) The fight against the Demon Commander DOES count.  It was the quickest way to explain the reasoning behind Ophelia's rise to power without making the roleplay last another 2 hours.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Syndraell

The only real thing i can say about the resistance is that some people just want to be self sufficient. With a queen elected into office, they feel that their way of life has been challenged. So the real thing is, are they fighting for a free Caphori, or to be a Seperatist movement?

Heh, hex should be an interesting leader for this faction. I'm sure he has many interesting ideas on the matter at hand. My biggest question is "If they contain a large enough following, will they be able to consider themselves as a nation independent of Caphori?"

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

JRParadox

Quote from: James Almasy on 04-12-2011
The only real thing i can say about the resistance is that some people just want to be self sufficient. With a queen elected into office, they feel that their way of life has been challenged. So the real thing is, are they fighting for a free Caphori, or to be a Seperatist movement?

Heh, hex should be an interesting leader for this faction. I'm sure he has many interesting ideas on the matter at hand. My biggest question is "If they contain a large enough following, will they be able to consider themselves as a nation independent of Caphori?"
Sadly we dont really have a large following at all, also my plan would be to have a nation on the far west side of the world with a rivalling castle and surrounding town. Of course this would be awesome but it probably will never see the light of day considering the current lack of new players to provide fodder for factions meaning we will have next to no one to make this dream a reality, still though I can hope.

Please anyone and everyone sign up and join The Resistance and fight the good fight!

Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?

RoyRoger05

And everyone would rather make their own faction instead of joining one.  Not bashing the Resistance, its a great idea, but all new players want to be the heros and badasses they read about, not the guy taking orders.

JRParadox

Quote from: RoyRoger05 on 04-12-2011
And everyone would rather make their own faction instead of joining one.  Not bashing the Resistance, its a great idea, but all new players want to be the heros and badasses they read about, not the guy taking orders.
True that, there should be a cap on the amount of groups available and then if you wish to make your own faction you must already be one of the highest levels in a pre-existing faction plus you must get autherisation. Something needs to happen if we want factions to survive, we should force new players to pick one from the start and we should make designated timed when everyone in a faction should meet up and play e.g. Every day at 11pm GMT there will be a meeting for The Resistance where quests are handed out, new players are recruited and helped out and everyone will vote on arguments and discussions (dont forget this is only an exapmle).

Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?

Syndraell

Personally, i cannot join as my loyalty lies with Ophelia. However, I can sell you materials.
Besides, a Merchant sells to anyone who has enough coin. Even if he may not agree with their Ideals.
And lastly, if i do manage to hear something from either faction, i must keep it to myself. (better rev up your torture chambers, folks. this one's got his lips sealed. lol)

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Redbark

Character's name: Garagan
I currently have the plans in my head and is written on paper ICLY. The plans for the invasion on new creek. Tell me about them when I'm ICLY on.

Wolfie

Probably shouldn't post, but I'm guessing this faction closed? I've been looking for something to invest in.
I'm Wolfie, snd this is my sig... Uummm... FUUURR TEEHH EEMMPUUHRER!

===== FRP charcaters =====

Guan- Your favorite Chinese scavenger, has a obsession with rumors of the Shi, as well as combat knives.

Tiberius- The annoying gear-lover.

JRParadox

Yes, closed as we are now the rulers of Caphori.

Therefore please some higher mod (or one who knows how to do so) change the title of this to:

The Resistance - INACTIVE FACTION

Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?

vatovie

we as in all the citizens of caphori.

Ragolution