OK. I admit. I don't like roleplay at all anymore - but...

Started by Jazer, 11-10-2010

Jazer

I guess I just wanted to jot down some thoughts I was having to better clarify my position in HGN and perhaps shed some light I have been thinking and doing.

I first off want to say that I don't like roleplay, I've come to despise it quite a bit over time. I believe there is different strokes for different folks, so that is not my argument. My argument arises when something goes wrong, when most players justify a problem by saying the player-base is bad. I see this excuse to be used way too much to be a coincidence. I believe most of the people on HGN are good role-players. I think the problem arises when when one person prefers another to role play differently, or there is a lack of understanding of why somebody roleplays the way they do so. In another sense, a player's roleplay may make sense to himself because it's his own perspective, but another interprets it differently.   

Now for my opinion, which doesn't apply to others. I find roleplay to be intangible, because you do things only because it's expected of you, not because you actually need to. It is pseudo-gameplay that can only be enforced by administrators. If you like to play like this, good for you. I'm glad you can enjoy more variety than I can. I also believe that you can accomplish most of what roleplay wants with actual mechanics. Sure, you can smoke the cigarette and believe it's calming your nerves IC, but would it not be just incredible to smoke a cigarette that yields real results? Perhaps your aim gets better, maybe your vision becomes a bit more lucid. That is all I'm really get to on that point.

As for my work for with SRP, I'm pretty much done. I don't have the will to carry with the map project, especially with how I feel about roleplay these days. I have moved on to different things such as the gamemode idea I mentioned in another thread I made in GD. Something that has also resurfaced is my interest in a gamemode based off Metro 2033 since I have been playing it lately. There is of coarse some things to consider before making a Metro 2033 gamemode, mainly the concern of getting variety of character models,  and a animated mutant for the underground and another for the surface.

To end on a positive note, I think HGN is great community with people who are as mature as they can be for whatever ages they may be. I just think the roleplay gamemodes we play tear us apart. We need change. (Not to be associated with Obama.)

Predu

Quote from: HostelEffect on 11-10-2010
To end on a positive note, I think HGN is great community with people who are as mature as they can be for whatever ages they may be. I just think the roleplay gamemodes we play tear us apart. We need change. (Not to be associated with Obama.)

Personally I think the problem is in the amount of players we have in the playerbase. SRP doesn't attract as many people as how many people leave over time. One success (Ok, don't call me a TnB lover or anything.) of TnBs RPs have been a big amount of players, thus coming very popular. The way this community should have started should have been by servers in games that people play a lot(But sure, I wasn't there when it was started so I don't know). That way playerbase will increase, then you have a possibility of creating a successful RP that people play and like, that way more people get interested in it since it's popular.

jaik

Actually, HGN started to host its first server for Dark RP.
Blake.H: And im also working on whipping him into shape
Blake.H: He's nice
Blake.H: He doesn't moan
Blake.H: The sheer obedience is enough to fuel my erection anyway

Paintcheck

Having a game RP for you is exactly why Gmod RP sucks these days. Novus tries to handle everything with its stat system and item spawns. The fewer things handled by the game, the better because you can be more creative.

But to each his own I guess.

Silver Knight

Quote from: Jake on 12-10-2010
Actually, HGN started to host its first server for Dark RP.

No our first server was a SAMP server, darkrp was our first server on gmod.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

Silver Knight

Quote from: Paintcheck on 12-10-2010
Having a game RP for you is exactly why Gmod RP sucks these days. Novus tries to handle everything with its stat system and item spawns. The fewer things handled by the game, the better because you can be more creative.

But to each his own I guess.

The stats system is not used by the player directly but will be reflected by their current status and actions. Such as putting on a suit with special properties (Just like stalker) or effectiveness against radiation/amount of radiation you have.

Effectively this is enhancing roleplay because it helps to stop powergame and enforce what the player is actually wearing and takes it a step further towards the game. With more "minge" restrictions in theory there will be better roleplay since godgaming\powergaming has ruined things in the past.

Quotebreslau: if i cant cheat i dont wanna play
breslau: period

KingArthur

Cutch

Quote from: KingArthur on 12-10-2010
Hope ya stick around, just avoid RP ;p
So all of our servers? No one plays any of the others because either
A) they automatically assume that everyone in the game is a bunch of minges
B) They are too busy RPing
C) They don't own the game.

Fact of the matter is is that HGN is stuck in a rut when it comes to games. No one wants to do anything else. Trust me, I've tried promoting 3 of HGNs "other games" servers, even attempting to host a tournament for CSS. But no. You people propose having these servers but you never play on them and they generate no donations or players whatsoever.

Thanks Hostel for trying, but it ain't changing.

"Stop living life so that you can do a job with out pay"
-Blake/Last Exile

Lucidius

Please check out my other suggestions for PS2. Click 'Like' if you agree!

!IMPORTANT! Empire Specific Fighters and the Empire Specific Weapons. Overview, tweeks and nerfs! BIG POST

My Profile[/b][/size]