Muskets

Started by Cpt.Gingerbeard, 19-07-2011

Cpt.Gingerbeard

any chance muskets could be allowed? i'm pretty sure early primitive muskets where developed during the medieval/late medieval period

Syndraell

the hand cannon and musket were created in between the 12th and 13th century. But it mainly depends on the "age" of Cathori. for all we know, it could be set in the dark ages.

the true start date of the medieval ages was 476 a.d., so muskets and hand cannons would not be invented for around 800 more years.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Cpt.Gingerbeard

alas, now i must limit myself to the simplest of bow and arrow

Kamimaia

Might I suggest a lore ruling that Muskets are considered crossbows, and owners are only allowed to carry normal shot?

Syndraell

However, Caphori is not our earth. so it could be noted in lore that muskets and hand cannons were invented earlier.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

Cpt.Gingerbeard

i suppose one could argue that the introduction of magic to the world caused certain technological advances and some technological regressions (if we where to compare the medevil periods). Magic ( i suppose there should be some sort of limit, say that only items which hold some sort of rustic or historic austere can be used) allowed for advances in say "guns" however subsequently made it (due to cost efficiency) so that the fields of pyrotechnics, specifically that which involved gunpowder, was largely unexplored,  hence the absence of bombs and dynamite (no matter how you argue bombs/gunpowder did exist in the medieval period, granted however mostly existing in in china (and possibly Arabia after a point, forgive me if I'm wrong, I hold more of an amateur interest in history), so would allow for a convenient canonical removal of said objects... also would alow for a convinent explination for some of the more mystical non mana using items, eg rocktboots or the band of regeneration. We could claim that it is a possible extension of the feild of alchemy, combining both magical and scientific principles

Steven :D

Caphori is not in its 13th century yet, so no muskets, sorry.
EDIT: But things being made by alchemists, that idea may work.

jbak57

We could say that the time in Caphori is quicker than earth and eventually ease muskets and such into the game,similar to the Fable series which brought guns in while in the first games there were only bows but I'll let the moderaters handle that idea

Hyperionwolf

Personally, i would go with the crossbow idea. We got plate armor, so it should be okay.
But, since we have all that magic and AIRSHIPS,something can be done.

For example, what is the Airship's source of energy? Steam? Gas? Some unnatural force, like the Mist in Final Fantasy 9? Maybe its Magitech, like some RPG Cenarios.

If its Mist or Magitech, you can make weaponry with them. If not,well... If you can get a gigantic ship a few feet above the ground, you sure can shoot projectiles.

CAMaera

Airships are ALWAYS, at least, usually, powered by turbines and Levistone.
They could just be roleplayed as magic also, like a light projectile that moves so fast it is just a white blur.

Hyperionwolf

Well, something powers the turbine... And Levistone, or whatever the name you call it, could  be magitech to me.

Anyway, I support the Muskets only, for now.

JohnieG

Well, I have an argument FOR muskets. Think about it:
There are dwarves in Terraria. The Explosives dealer is a Dwarf (Being shorter and having different features, a bigger nose and unique beard being some of them) Dwarves have been known in Fantasy Medieval RPGs to be known for their technological advances. In most Medieval Fantasy games, Guns arent used by any normal human. Only humans who have dealt with dwarves or the Dwarves themselves use guns. Though there is a downside; Guns will be very unreliable. I dont know how to modify it in the RP, but Guns usually malfunction unless you have spent YEARS working on one type of gun.

So, here is my suggestion: Players can have guns, but they better have a damn good reason for having one. EX: A player has a Dwarf as a friend, or has purchased a gun from a dwarf. Now there are some requirements to be able to purchas a gun: 1. You must be well-known by either the Dwarven culture or the general public to be a good person. Nobody who has been known for any evil deed will be eligeable for a gun. Legally that is. And of course, people can go evil once they do get guns. 2. You must have a helluva lotta gold to buy one (Like, say about 100 gold or even 1 platnium if you wanna get extreme with the price). 3. You must accept the fact that you cant always use the gun. You must understand that guns will malfunction, and that you cant always use the gun and rely on it.

Of course, if guns are allowed there will be some guns you can NEVER EVER use. Like the Space gun, the Minishark, or the Sandg- wait.... maybe the sandgun could be used. But thats a different debate.

So yea, there is my argument. Hope you like this idea.

Edit: Oh yea, btw I was also wondering if the character that I have applied for (If I get accepted this time) Could be a Dwarf himself. Of course, I will not be able to start off with a gun. I just want to play as a dwarf character. And whether or not you allow guns from my previous argument or in the future I'd still like to play one. Of course I cant make him smaller. But still...

Blacklegend

I'm a Dwarf who is also a amazing engineer. In my civilization we had rough steam power but most was man power but still we had engineering none the less. So I was thinking as a Engineering Dwarf I could, if allowed to, invent guns or maybe steam power to better explain things such as airships, traps, heating systems, rocket boots, and other mechanical things. If I did this though I would hope it would be farther in future because once you invent steam power you start to leave medieval and start to go towards well what I call the "Steam Ages", but I'm just letting this idea out here for people who don't always just have to use alchemy or magic for their mechanical reasonings. -Gwir

Blacklegend

This quote no longer is available for comment since well he got banned.
Quote from: Blacklegend on 03-08-2011
I'm a Dwarf who is also a amazing engineer. In my civilization we had rough steam power but most was man power but still we had engineering none the less. So I was thinking as a Engineering Dwarf I could, if allowed to, invent guns or maybe steam power to better explain things such as airships, traps, heating systems, rocket boots, and other mechanical things. If I did this though I would hope it would be farther in future because once you invent steam power you start to leave medieval and start to go towards well what I call the "Steam Ages", but I'm just letting this idea out here for people who don't always just have to use alchemy or magic for their mechanical reasonings. -Gwir