Issues with RPing in Terraria

Started by CAMaera, 24-07-2011

CAMaera

First up: Respawning? Will that character have to just de and you will have to make a new one, or will there be some sort of explanation for "respawning"?

Second: Building levitating stuff? i guess this one is an easy fix, just introduce levi-stone-ish material or magic forces, but it's still odd.

Thirdly: Inital Spawning? i've never been on the server yet, but it would make sense if you spawned away from any buildings or something. Otherwise, popping up in the middle of a town seems kinda otherwordly.

Any other things that anyone else thinks would be a bit odd? I'm just noticing these things, but if they've already been adressed and anwsered, then this topic makes no sense, i am sorry for wasting your time.

Kamimaia

They way we've been doing respawning is that your character, is beaten to the point where they have to retreat, and go to their home/nearest safe spot.

Levitating stuff- well, there's magic afoot. I'm sure there's something that can be worked out. If it looks like it *should* levitate, (stuff hanging from the bottom, core of oddly-chosen bricks, w/e), then I don't see the problem.

Initial spawning could be that you simply just then arrived. Tired, you hit an inn and wake up with no real recollection of what was around you, coming in.

RP is an easily malleable medium- I'm sure there are ways to handle everything that don't involve changing game format.

CAMaera

Ah, i see. Wasn't aware that these problems were already handled, but death is shown ingame, i guess it can just be that they escape, that makes sense.  I guess there was no real point to the thread if these were already anwsered. It's just that i have not been on the server yet so i did not know the things that were "going down", to be said in modern terms.

CAMaera

thread can be taken down, destroyed, whatever.

Hyperionwolf

Actually, before we close this topic, I Have a couple questions.

First, I would like to make clear that I DO NOT intend to do these activities, Im just curious about how would it be solved.

Issue 1) Thievery
Lets say I have a Thief as my character. I go Way West, to the mighty fondations that Ael-Da-Rii and her Minions once built,and pick some chests, and loot whatever good stuff I found in it. I Get found and scolded "Its against the game rules!" And I say "But im just doing my roleplay! My character should TOTALY rob you!" How would it be solved? Asking this In Game, they told me that I should only "Pretend" I Robbed you. So, How would it affect in anyway?

Issue 2) Raids and Razing
Lets pretend I grow a large force, maybe provenient of The Guild im trying to form. And i grow very powerfull and all, and people respect me. But then a guy pisses me off. Really Bad, Like, He insulted my honor and threatened to spoil the plans of The Guild. So I Pick up a few henchmen, and start to beat the hell out of him. Then, Before he dies, I Say " And never come back Here, Foul Man, Or I Shall raze your house to the ground, and your legacy shall never be remembered!"
Its against the rules to grief, of course, but how should we handle IC razing? I really want to bring his house to the ground,Kill the NPCs there and pillage its materials. How should it be settled?

Lord_Blair

Quote from: Hyperionwolf on 02-08-2011
Actually, before we close this topic, I Have a couple questions.

First, I would like to make clear that I DO NOT intend to do these activities, Im just curious about how would it be solved.

Issue 1) Thievery
Lets say I have a Thief as my character. I go Way West, to the mighty fondations that Ael-Da-Rii and her Minions once built,and pick some chests, and loot whatever good stuff I found in it. I Get found and scolded "Its against the game rules!" And I say "But im just doing my roleplay! My character should TOTALY rob you!" How would it be solved? Asking this In Game, they told me that I should only "Pretend" I Robbed you. So, How would it affect in anyway?

Issue 2) Raids and Razing
Lets pretend I grow a large force, maybe provenient of The Guild im trying to form. And i grow very powerfull and all, and people respect me. But then a guy pisses me off. Really Bad, Like, He insulted my honor and threatened to spoil the plans of The Guild. So I Pick up a few henchmen, and start to beat the hell out of him. Then, Before he dies, I Say " And never come back Here, Foul Man, Or I Shall raze your house to the ground, and your legacy shall never be remembered!"
Its against the rules to grief, of course, but how should we handle IC razing? I really want to bring his house to the ground,Kill the NPCs there and pillage its materials. How should it be settled?
Well, with Ael-Da-Rii, you COULD steal some stuff, but only the stuff she allows, since she has almost everything. And with the razing? Only if the whole town agrees to it.

Velspera

I'd agree with Blair.  With thievery, I'd talk to the person OOC and see if they'd want to take part in the RP.  Then, they could probably set a chest somewhere with items they will allow to be stolen.  I'm sure a lot of people have things stored on the server that took a long while for them to find and would rather it not be taken away.  I am also sure, though, that people have stuff that is stored but they really don't want or don't have to space to keep around, so would prefer to get rid of. 

As for razing, I'm sure people could build some random, small structures that are ok'd for it. 
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna