Griefed, yet again.

Started by Crow793, 14-07-2012

Dungeon_Lord

The register is cool and all, but the only way to manage it is if you delete people's registrations when you change the password. In that case there would be no point to registering anyway.
Help for hire! Seriously ask me for help, I need things to do.

Crow793

It's a lot of issues. Registering, Shortage of active mods, too much leniency with accepting new players due to a faulty application... But the biggest problem is nothing has been done to change these issues and we continue to be griefed. I don't know if it's a problem with the mods lack of action, or just griefers being able to bypass changes. But this is just what I've been observing.

Dungeon_Lord

I have a great number of friends (More then 5) that troll for a living when not at a job. If someone is really going out of their way to troll a server no application is going to stop them. Of course a really obnoxious application will of course make smaller trolls veer away, but it will also make potential players not to want to play on the server because it may be more work then they would want to do. Of course large trolls would still attack the server and dedicated roleplayers would still go through a long application. You may be thinking why we don't want these less dedicated roleplayers, but when you think of it all of us dedicated roleplayers or just good roleplayers come out of these type of people. Whenever one of us leave we usually have 1 out of 5 applicaters that fill their spot, but with a long application a lot of those people may leave and instead of 1 out of 5 you may get more of a .20 out of 1. This is not exact I'm just going off of what I've seen so far. I'm sure a load of this is incorrect, so don't be do harsh on me.

Syndraell

Quote from: Crow793 on 15-07-2012
It's a lot of issues. Registering, Shortage of active mods, too much leniency with accepting new players due to a faulty application... But the biggest problem is nothing has been done to change these issues and we continue to be griefed. I don't know if it's a problem with the mods lack of action, or just griefers being able to bypass changes. But this is just what I've been observing.

I'm going to start another thread, on suggestions for a new application.

I'm just waiting to mess up your day. Honest.

FLLFFL

We could do some fixes to the map, but we'll need INVEdit and the exact amount of items we'll require to fix.
Although alot may disagree to this because of this word ^ right there.

Do not fear what my sword looks like, fear what I might do to you.

ThY

This is not worth a complete reaul of the application system, rather the admin activity.

Noidness

We need to abolish the /register system, and do a whitelist system. Is that possible for terraria?

Syndraell

Quote from: Noidness on 16-07-2012
We need to abolish the /register system, and do a whitelist system. Is that possible for terraria?

we used to have a whitelist system. It worked, and we barely got messed with all of last year.

Noidness

Why don't we use, and also look into installing a tracker that makes a list of people who log in, and when, that way we do know who might grief if names matter?

Syndraell

Why don't we use, and also look into installing a tracker that makes a list of people who log in, and when, that way we do know who might grief if names matter?

well. we have a log of activity, but i personally have no way of reading it.
I've suggested that someone leave a Player on during the night as a sentinel.
and have them record the activity with a fraps camera.

Noidness

That's a bit of a roundabout way of doing it, plus the cost on your internet of leaving terraria open in multiplayer. I think we should find some way of accessing this log of player activity.

Syndraell

That's a bit of a roundabout way of doing it, plus the cost on your internet of leaving terraria open in multiplayer. I think we should find some way of accessing this log of player activity.

currently working on trying to get access to logs.

JRParadox

Quote from: James Almasy on 16-07-2012

currently working on trying to get access to logs.
Steven will need to get his shit together with stuff like this.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Terraria Super Operator
JRP > What are you?
Rag > Your freind
JRP > For real?
Rag > This is so serious you don't understand.

Syl

I leave for a week and a half... Alright. I'm back. :P I'll be on as much as you need me too... And reminder to my fellow mods, I've got six days as of this post to prove myself... I suppose the only analogy I could use for this would be... I'm down shit creek without a paddle.
Anyways, I'll be on whenever you need me too, just tell me when. Got all my issues resolved.

Velspera

Issue is likely BOTH of those things.  Register should be removed and the password shouldn't be given out anywhere but on HGN.
:D OMG HI.

Caphori Characters: Vaillaro and Ilanna

Noidness

Also, we need mods to be active on the server, which I know is hard since most of you guys have more important things, jobs, IRL issues and such. Can we also take off build guard and start rebuilding the server? Server being dead longer than it needs to isn't good.

Dungeon_Lord

I've actually had time to come on recently, but I haven't because before I make anything I'd rather this whole griefer issue to be solved. Either get rid of /register and go back to whitelist or whatever you need to do. Most people seem to agree with going back to whitelist, so why don't we just do that.